Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
(private note - it's an abomination to make vodka from potatoes. Only from cereals (grains)!)
A bowl of cereal can be a salad of sorts, indeed! And I don't disagree about this last point, but "potato salad" is what came to mind first
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
My second question:

Why does Finnair not serve this in their lounges?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by keitherson
My second question:

Why does Finnair not serve this in their lounges?
They do serve it, at least last year, around Christmas.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by lkrt
They do serve it, at least last year, around Christmas.
Finally, a reason to fly to Helsinki in the winter
Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Andaman
Hi!
In early January the sun will go down before 4PM and you need to prepare for freezing temperatures, so not the best time for sights. It sounds you'll probably have around 4-5h to kill, I would recommend a dinner and some indoor fun. There's a big Jumbo mall & Flamingo spa 4km from the airport, easy taxi ride. https://www.flamingospa.fi/en/

If you prefer to come to the city, the comfy train ride takes 30min. If you arrive between Jan 4-8 there's Lux Helsinki going on, a light art festival in the city center. That's fun, unless it's too cold. https://www.luxhelsinki.fi/en

The same airport train takes you to an other huge mall, the new Tripla, one station (Pasila) before the city. Their speciality is indoor surfing, in tropical temperatures https://surfhousehelsinki.com/en/

The lockers at the airport shoudn't be any problem, perhaps someone else knows the details.
Plat Wing lockers info;

Lockers at HEL?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: AY platinum, SIXT platinum, IHG platinum
Talking

Originally Posted by Superrman
Potato salad, also known as vodka. Some "fancier" souls have been known to use rum or cognac, but I am a simple man.
I actually found a perfect use for the ever-so-delicious pocket-warm Becherovka. It goes surprisingly well together with glögi and you don't even have to take suojakänni to be able to drink it.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Dieselross
I actually found a perfect use for the ever-so-delicious pocket-warm Becherovka. It goes surprisingly well together with glögi and you don't even have to take suojakänni to be able to drink it.
Master post in a rookie thread. LOL
Dieselross and travelmoments like this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: AY Platinum (oneworld Emerald), Bonvoy/Radisson/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by keitherson
Finally, a reason to fly to Helsinki in the winter
Definitely - and welcome!

A side note: a moment ago I experienced a funny feeling while reading this thread. After all this talk about mulled wine I was really enjoying the feeling of getting to taste it again after almost a year and remembering how it tastes like. And without thinking anything I took a sip of my morning coffee - and for a second I was thinking “Where is the taste?! It’s nice and warm but no taste at all!” before realizing it’s coffee, not glögi...
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by UpperDeck87K
Definitely - and welcome!

A side note: a moment ago I experienced a funny feeling while reading this thread. After all this talk about mulled wine I was really enjoying the feeling of getting to taste it again after almost a year and remembering how it tastes like. And without thinking anything I took a sip of my morning coffee - and for a second I was thinking “Where is the taste?! It’s nice and warm but no taste at all!” before realizing it’s coffee, not glögi...
I am intending to reach Lumo from zero so I will definitely have my taste of glögi by the end of this year, if not the next Time to learn some Finnish!
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Gold, IHG Ambassador
First longhaul business class flight coming with Finnair. I am only accustomed to QR/TK longhaul food service so I am probably set for disappointment.

- I ordered chef's gourmet menu reindeer for outbound flight. Looks rather unappetizing in pictures. Good or bad choice?
- Can I order several main courses, esp. in case I don't like this one or if it is not enough? I found it strange that soup is main course and not part of "set". So if I have this reindeer, can I also have soup?
- Anytime dining is not something Finnair practice right so it will take some time to get served?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by exs2
First longhaul business class flight coming with Finnair. I am only accustomed to QR/TK longhaul food service so I am probably set for disappointment.

- I ordered chef's gourmet menu reindeer for outbound flight. Looks rather unappetizing in pictures. Good or bad choice?
- Can I order several main courses, esp. in case I don't like this one or if it is not enough? I found it strange that soup is main course and not part of "set". So if I have this reindeer, can I also have soup?
- Anytime dining is not something Finnair practice right so it will take some time to get served?
You might want to look up what the "katotaan" concept is...
TTL, esledo, Steve_Hun and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
One main course per person. If you're picky, then avoid the reindeer as it will become dry and liver-like in the oven if they keep it there too long. When heated right, it's an excellent dish.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
You might want to look up what the "katotaan" concept is...
As a Finnish I know the subtleties of "katotaan" and can answer equally. Too bad they don't use the "India headshake or wobble" to complement it. Would be perfect!
Old Nov 19, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I can promise you Katotaan has also rendered above and beyond Y experiences
ffay005 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: AY Platinum (oneworld Emerald), Bonvoy/Radisson/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exs2

At least twice I’ve said something like “if you have some extra soup left, I would be more than happy to get to taste it in addition to my main course”. 100 % success rate so far!

1.5 weeks ago I left BKK with the 23:00ish flight and got asked if I would like to eat right away after take off or later. I was surprised! The same has happened on longer European routes (BCN and FCO).
Purjelentaja and Steve_Hun like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.