Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Courmisch
And? Really, how do you expect a traveler to cope in Europe if s/he cannot communicate in any European language, and nobody else in their group can?
Probably in the same way as me when I'm in China (speaking Finnish, waving frantically with my hands, smiling). So far, I haven't starved to death.
juhanh, miklcct and Superrman like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by ffay005
One more thing: sometimes (regardless of whether it's upgraded or paid J), the App shows me 4 bags, sometimes 3, sometimes 2. I suppose the app includes the +1 bag in that amount, but why it varies that much, I don't know. So I'd say without the Gold gift, prepare for 2 bags, but it could be more, too.

Right now I have DEL 4 bags (upgraded), DEL 4 bags (paid), LHR 3 bags (award), LAX 2 bags (upgraded). I had paid flights to and from JFK last week, and I think that was 4 bags as well (paid), but I'm not 100 % sure.

My tip: ask them to download the App and check the allowance there. It seems to be the most reliable source.
Part of the inconsistency is because you get 3 checked bags (+1 for status) in J for Asian destinations, but only 2 (+1) for any other destination...
ffay005 likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:39 am

Many airlines already have an "unaccompanied minor" service. Simply expand this business by also offering an "unaccompanied monolingual Chinese" service.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Some person
Many airlines already have an "unaccompanied minor" service. Simply expand this business by also offering an "unaccompanied monolingual Chinese" service.
LH already runs a similar service.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch
Even if the airline spent inordinate amount of money to cater to such traveler at the airport
Why there would be a "inordinate amount" necessary to serve their needs? Just employ one mandarin speaker at the transfer counter and one at the check in in every shift. They will do the same work than a non mandarin speaker, but if chinese travelers needs assistant in their language because of any irrop, they would be available. I can't see any additional costs for AY. When I stayed overnight at Helsinki two years ago there was a mandarin speaking person available in our hotel, I guess it was the Holiday Inn. Why shouldn't the airport be able to employ someone too or make a contract with the Helsinki Airport chinese speaking Duty Free Service, that they will send someone in case of irrops to translate? We are talking about their Hub.
intuition likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
They could also employ a Cantonese speaker, a Japanese speaker, a German speaker, a Russian speaker... where do you draw the line?
Courmisch likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:44 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Some person
They sort of do. It is just that no one turns up to deliver that service, per my experience earlier in the thread.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
This is not a language issue I'd say - this is more of an age-related issue: younger people, even if they don't speak the language, have a better understanding of how things like airports work.
Anecdotal evidence would be those older and usually non western travellers I see during most of my LH flights, who don't know how to understand if a lavatory is occupied or not, how to open the lav door (if it has the centre hinge) and how to lock the door from inside. I end up showing how to push the door open and then guarding the "free" lav on almost every LH segment.
So a more special special assistance is really needed. Could be ancilliary revenue that you could book for your elders.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
They could also employ a Cantonese speaker, a Japanese speaker, a German speaker, a Russian speaker... where do you draw the line?
How many of the Germans, who will use HEL as a Connection Point, doesn't speak any english or can at least read the signs? And how many of the Chinese? Now you know where to draw the line. At least for the case of irrops they should have someone who can assist.

Originally Posted by juhanh
This is not a language issue I'd say - this is more of an age-related issue: younger people, even if they don't speak the language, have a better understanding of how things like airports work.
​​​​​​

I wouldn't sign that. I saw many young chinese which never saw a airport from inside, before they fly abroad, including my wife when she came to Germany 6 years ago. It's often just not necessary to use a plane within china. But my parents in law saw many chinese airports before, but that didn't helped them in HEL.

Originally Posted by juhanh
Anecdotal evidence would be those older and usually non western travellers I see during most of my LH flights, who don't know how to understand if a lavatory is occupied or not, how to open the lav door (if it has the centre hinge) and how to lock the door from inside. I end up showing how to push the door open and then guarding the "free" lav on almost every LH segment.
​​​​​​

I saw the same with western travelers on many flights Young and old. But the time on board isn't a problem, as there are always chinese speaking flight attendants available on chinese bound flights.
Old May 7, 2019, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by 31570324
How many of the Germans, who will use HEL as a Connection Point, doesn't speak any english or can at least read the signs? And how many of the Chinese? Now you know where to draw the line. At least for the case of irrops they should have someone who can assist
I don't know. But leaving aside German, the do you still agree that they'd need Japanese and Russian (and Thai) speakers next to the Mandarin and Cantonese speakers?

Or should we just face the facts, that it's often a challenge to travel abroad if you speak only your mother tongue?
Andaman and florens like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:29 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I'd say draw the line at the nation you've build your entire growth strategy around and probably bet your entire company future on.
ffay005, on22cz and Superrman like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Mandarin and Japanese in my opinion. China being the most relevant country for any future growth for AY, and Japanese since AY already has strong Japan network and Japanese are notoriously bad at English and expect/pay for an experience with "everything" included. Korea has marginally better English than China or Japan, but is also a much smaller market for AY than China or Japan.

Mentioning German and Russian is cheap rhetorical point here imo.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Yesterday the captain spoke Savo-language, but luckily he also announced his things in english too
Old May 7, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by 31570324
Why there would be a "inordinate amount" necessary to serve their needs? Just employ one mandarin speaker at the transfer counter and one at the check in in every shift.
The problem with irrops is that they tend to mess the schedule. And it does not make sense to have a Mandarin speaker at the airport at every hours of every days just in case of one irrop on a flight with a group of passengers only speaking Mandarin.

IMO, it makes far more sense to have Chinese (and Japanese, and Russian) leaf-lets ready to guide those occassional unfortunate passengers.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by intuition
I'd say draw the line at the nation you've build your entire growth strategy around and probably bet your entire company future on.
This.

In general, I'm with Wilco in this matter – one cannot possibly expect the whole world to speak one's language etc. But in this particular case, when AY's business idea is to make money flying Chinese people around the world, it does make sense to provide them with the assistance they need, at least at AY's home base.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.