Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Noob questions:

1) At what stage are prepaid internet vouchers provided? Is it onboard or are my browser skills just insufficient?

2) Although I've prepaid for access, I see that Finnair Plus Platinum are offered it gratis anyway. Does that also apply to any Oneworld Emerald?
Old May 2, 2019, 7:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Howard Long
Does that also apply to any Oneworld Emerald?
Unfortunately, not.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
Re the "Should AY staff speak Mandarin" discussion - AY shouldn't optimise, but they could, if they'd want to be customer centric (in a good way, not "enhancing" way).

Last edited by juhanh; May 3, 2019 at 8:16 am
Old May 3, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
Deleted
Old May 3, 2019, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Howard Long
Noob questions:

1) At what stage are prepaid internet vouchers provided? Is it onboard or are my browser skills just insufficient?
To answer my own question, there is no voucher per se. When you connect to the Wifi network, there’s an option for you to specify your name and seat number, and it works it out from there.

Unfortunately, it only works with a single device and is not transferable to other devices as far as I can tell, so choose your device wisely!
ffay005 likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:39 pm

I can also offer some notes and data points on prepaying for Champagne. The crew had already chilled my prepaid bottle of Bollinger reasonably well (I prefer it not too chilled) and it was brought over to me early on in the flight without me asking. The first couple of fill ups were offered in good time but after that I found I had to pop to the galley, although I am sure the call bell would have worked just fine too.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
When is the best time to purchase a intra-Europe or domestic flight from AY? Looking for PRG-HEL the weekend before Christmas and KTT-HEL the weekend before New Year Day.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
When is the best time to purchase a intra-Europe or domestic flight from AY? Looking for PRG-HEL the weekend before Christmas and KTT-HEL the weekend before New Year Day.
It's still quite early – on the other hand these are flights in the high season and probably will not get very cheap at all.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch
I don't really see why Finnair should optimize for a non-English speaking customer traveling alone (or with only like customers). In my experience, Chinese (and before them, Japanese) usually travel either in organized tours or with at least one group member capable of some English. In fact, I think it is rather common that elder Chinese tourists are accompanied abroad by their adult children or children-in-laws, specifically because of language issues.
Not only the older people doesn't speak english, also the younger often doesn't. They know a few words, but often can't use the language.
Finnair accepted the claim and promised to pay the 600€/pax within a day or two. That's really fast and I didn't expect that.
My parents in law also said, that there was a lot UK bound tourist stranded in HEL with the same flight. These people had to stay within the terminal, as they doesn't had a Schengen Visa. So at least my parents in law doesn't made that experience.
ffay005 and Superrman like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: AY Lumo, AF Platinum
Newbie level question from a not so newbie flyer...

I bought light (hand baggage only) tickets for 2 family members traveling without me r/t OUL-HEL-LAX in Light economy but upgraded them successfully to J thanks to AY. Will they get J checked baggage allowance? I think it is 2 bags each in J? I assume so but want to be 100% sure before they start packing. And if I gift one of them a gold card would they get J allowance of + 1 extra even though the original ticket was HBO?
Old May 6, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo (LTG), LH SEN
Originally Posted by napapiiri
Newbie level question from a not so newbie flyer...

I bought light (hand baggage only) tickets for 2 family members traveling without me r/t OUL-HEL-LAX in Light economy but upgraded them successfully to J thanks to AY. Will they get J checked baggage allowance? I think it is 2 bags each in J? I assume so but want to be 100% sure before they start packing. And if I gift one of them a gold card would they get J allowance of + 1 extra even though the original ticket was HBO?
The upgrades will give each of them the full J benefits incl. either 2 x 23kg bags or one bag up to 32kg. And yes, the gold card would be +1 bag up to 23kg. The original travel class doesn't make any difference even Light HBO upgrades to full J.
napapiiri likes this.

Last edited by FlyeBye; May 6, 2019 at 7:04 am
Old May 6, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by FlyeBye
The upgrades will give each of them the full J benefits incl. either 2 x 23kg bags or one bag up to 32kg. And yes, the gold card would be +1 bag up to 23kg. The original travel class doesn't make any difference even Light HBO upgrades to full J.
AY says: "The heavy bag charge is not collected from Business Class passengers or Finnair Plus Platinum Lumo, Finnair Plus Platinum or oneworld Emerald members."

Based on that, I would say each bag can be up to 32 kg, incl. the one coming as a Gold card benefit as the passenger in question will be travelling in Business Class.
esledo, Steve_Hun and napapiiri like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: AY Lumo, AF Platinum
Thanks for the replies
Old May 6, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by 31570324
Not only the older people doesn't speak english, also the younger often doesn't. They know a few words, but often can't use the language.
And? Really, how do you expect a traveler to cope in Europe if s/he cannot communicate in any European language, and nobody else in their group can? Even if the airline spent inordinate amount of money to cater to such traveler at the airport, that wouldn't solve 90% of the ensuing problems at destination.

My point is that the vast majority of such traveler will be part of a group with at least one person capable of communication - whether that's an organized tour or a private party - and/or they will be visiting a relative and can use a phone number for emergencies.

Attempting to cater to Chinese (or really any other nationality) traveling alone and not grasping any English seems both vain and uneconomical to me.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by napapiiri
Thanks for the replies
One more thing: sometimes (regardless of whether it's upgraded or paid J), the App shows me 4 bags, sometimes 3, sometimes 2. I suppose the app includes the +1 bag in that amount, but why it varies that much, I don't know. So I'd say without the Gold gift, prepare for 2 bags, but it could be more, too.

Right now I have DEL 4 bags (upgraded), DEL 4 bags (paid), LHR 3 bags (award), LAX 2 bags (upgraded). I had paid flights to and from JFK last week, and I think that was 4 bags as well (paid), but I'm not 100 % sure.

My tip: ask them to download the App and check the allowance there. It seems to be the most reliable source.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.