Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
What time does counter open at ORD? 14:05 just like JFK?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
If a person's final flight to qualify for gold is 8.8. and his period ends 31.8. will he be getting two sets of upgrade vouchers (1st time when qualifying and 2nd time when renewing the period)? I've read here somewhere that there's some time limit after which one can no longer get the extra vouchers but I don't remember what it is.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: AY+ Plat
Originally Posted by kanamurva
If a person's final flight to qualify for gold is 8.8. and his period ends 31.8. will he be getting two sets of upgrade vouchers (1st time when qualifying and 2nd time when renewing the period)? I've read here somewhere that there's some time limit after which one can no longer get the extra vouchers but I don't remember what it is.
This should work out. I had my last flight about 8 days before end of tracking period and after contacting CS, I received both sets of vouchers.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Some time ago CS told me that the limit is one week.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:07 am

Anybody know what's up with AY105 today (Helsinki-Nanjing)? My parents in law are booked on the return journey tomorrow, but it looks like the flight will not be there on time. Finnair's Website doesn't give any information, but Helsinki Airport Website show that there should be new Info a 7:55pm, what's already gone and flightradar24 shows "Estimated departure 22:55". Hotline is useless, I tried that.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: AY LUMO
AY105 is waiting for new info at 22:00 local.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
AY105 is waiting for new info at 22:00 local.
Just saw that. Any strike or weather problem in Helsinki today?
I'm not sure if it makes sense for them to wait for the flight, as they have a connection to Hamburg, which they will miss. They original had 3.5 hours in Helsinki for change planes. But the Hotline told me they will not reroute them until there is any delay for AY106 in their system.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: AY LUMO
AY105 and AY85 to PEK both suffering technical problems today.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
AY105 and AY85 to PEK both suffering technical problems today.
Service Hotline is really useless. "in our system your flights will be on time, we we can't do anything for you". Tried multiply times to explain that the inbound flight will be delayed, so of course the flight from Nanjing to Helsinki will also be delayed, but they just don'T believe that.
My parents in law doesn't speak any english. If they have to overnight in Helsinki because of the delayed flight, they really need a chinese speaking person to assist them there. I Hope Finnair has these persons in Helsinki.
Would be easy to rebook them to Lufthansa so they could be at their destination same day, but it looks like Finnair doesn't rebook to Lufthansa.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:26 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by 31570324
...If they have to overnight in Helsinki because of the delayed flight, they really need a chinese speaking person to assist them there. I Hope Finnair has these persons in Helsinki.
I've had various (but all poor) experiences of AY irr op handling in the past. However, people have reported improvement lately. And a year ago I shipped a Chinese speaking youth on AY and the inbound to HEL was delayed enough for him to miss short haul connection. At that time AY staff were actually waiting at jetbridge with a sign and new boarding passes.

I doubt there are any AY staff at the airport speaking Chinese. The airport itself has Chinese speaking support staff, but they are mostly aimed at "personal shopping". There is supposed to be a few "i" marked desks where multiple Asian languages are spoken.

If they are forced to overnight this will likely not help. I believe Finnair transfer desk is where hotels are booked.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:35 pm

And I thought it would be wise to book them on AY instead of LH as both flights was on the same price and almost the same flight duration. Now I know it better
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:41 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Here is a brief description of the multi-language service that the airport operator offers.

On the linked page, you can find contact information to Chinese speaking Li Zhouyan who might be able to assist.
Finavia has said the service is meant to assist with interaction with airport staff, so I assume this can be with services as well as with commercial.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:56 pm

Thank you. Next time I will book Lufthansa for them again.
Flight Nanjing Helsinki should still be on time. I only know this behavior from Eurowings, they also never give a Update to passengers even it's clear that the flight will be delayed because of the missing inbound flight.
Together with the SAS strike tomorrow, they will may also have a problem to reschedule all the stranded people in Helsinki.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:20 pm

New Info 22:45... Why they not just cancel the fight, they are still not sure if they can repair the plane today?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by intuition
I've had various (but all poor) experiences of AY irr op handling in the past. However, people have reported improvement lately. And a year ago I shipped a Chinese speaking youth on AY and the inbound to HEL was delayed enough for him to miss short haul connection. At that time AY staff were actually waiting at jetbridge with a sign and new boarding passes.
I was on a delayed DEL flight a couple of days ago. Before landing, the purser read a very clear list of flights/connections. First, she read a list of destinations that have been rerouted the same day. Then another where an overnight at HEL is required. When we exited the bus and took the escalator up, there was a couple of AY representatives with signs a) for destinations for rerouted onward travel the same day, with BPs, b) for destinations that require overnight transit; I assume they had prepared hotel vouchers and BPs, and c) for destinations that will still make it, directing them to transfer security.

Walking to arrivals, I walked past the gate where AY142 from BKK had just arrived. Same show at that gate.

Based on this, I would say they were pretty well prepared and, considering the circumstances, couldn't have done it better. They even rerouted on competitors, such as KL to AMS. The only problem was that the hallways at HEL are so damn narrow that three agents and a hoard of pax create quite a traffic jam.

I do agree, however, that AY could be more proactive. Concerning the NKG case above, the outcome is probably the same whether they issue the reroute now or 5-6 hours later (when they realise the plane hasn't landed at NKG). But for a pax who's very aware, it could relieve stress if they knew now that their reroute will be like.

Last edited by ffay005; Apr 25, 2019 at 2:39 pm Reason: NAN -> NKG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.