Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Reply

Old Mar 10, 19, 4:38 pm
  #1951  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC,SFO
Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,055
Originally Posted by tigertanaka View Post
I am a BA Gold/OW sapphire but have 28,000 AY miles from stays in various hotels in the Nordics. Unfortunately these are about to expire at the end of May and I wondered if there is any simple/cheap way of keeping them active? I don't want to credit any flights to AY as I need the tier points in BA and I have no hotel stays coming up.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Originally Posted by Some person View Post
Check if this works: https://www.finnairshop.com/en/bookingcom-hotel-search

You get one point per euro on Booking.com bookings, and I suppose this bumps the expiration date? If you're not travelling at all, it's trivial to find a throw-away hotel booking for two euros for one night in Bangkok which should give you two points.
To add a second suggestion, you could donate 1000 points to charity. This activity should also reset the expiration date.
https://www.finnairshop.com/en/finna...oducts/charity
tigertanaka likes this.
flyingeph12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 19, 4:45 pm
  #1952  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MMX (CPH)
Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Posts: 9,830
Originally Posted by tigertanaka View Post
I am a BA Gold/OW sapphire but have 28,000 AY miles from stays in various hotels in the Nordics. Unfortunately these are about to expire at the end of May and I wondered if there is any simple/cheap way of keeping them active? I don't want to credit any flights to AY as I need the tier points in BA and I have no hotel stays coming up.

Any suggestions appreciated.
I am no expert, but IIRC, using points by any shopping however small it is at finnairshop.com would extend lifetime of remaining points.

-- Added
Ah, flyingeph12 beat me to this solution!
tigertanaka likes this.

Last edited by intuition; Mar 10, 19 at 4:47 pm Reason: wasn't quick enough
intuition is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 19, 6:45 am
  #1953  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: BAEC/AY
Posts: 4
Do you get less point from flying alliance iron?

Hi,
Quick question, do I get less points for flying BA to HEL than flying AY to HEL if I have my Finnair FF- number in the ticket?
Also, flipping the question around, do i get less Finnair tier points than the equivalent of BA tier from flying BA Iron LHR-MRU with my Finnair FF on the ticket than flying with my EC number on it?
Currently EC number on the premium econ flight shows 200 tier points ( OW SAPPHIRE requires 600 for BA and 80K for Finnair).
Thanks in advance
dietervonbuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 19, 7:56 am
  #1954  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Programs: AY Gold
Posts: 533
Originally Posted by dietervonbuck View Post
Hi,
Quick question, do I get less points for flying BA to HEL than flying AY to HEL if I have my Finnair FF- number in the ticket?
Also, flipping the question around, do i get less Finnair tier points than the equivalent of BA tier from flying BA Iron LHR-MRU with my Finnair FF on the ticket than flying with my EC number on it?
Currently EC number on the premium econ flight shows 200 tier points ( OW SAPPHIRE requires 600 for BA and 80K for Finnair).
Thanks in advance
This calculator could help you: https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/finnair-plus/earn-points
Andaman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 19, 8:11 am
  #1955  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: BAEC/AY
Posts: 4
Hi,
Yeah I tried it but as I dont know the exact booking class because they are not visible, it wont give me an accurate reading. Hence I was asking if generally flying Finnair FF on BA iron gives less points than flying BAEC on BA iron or are they "equivalent".

As the BAEC tier accumulation is so different (600 vs 80K for OW Sapphire) i was just wondering if there is big difference as Im thinking of swapping to Finnair.
dietervonbuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 19, 8:38 am
  #1956  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC,SFO
Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,055
Originally Posted by dietervonbuck View Post
Hi,
Yeah I tried it but as I dont know the exact booking class because they are not visible, it wont give me an accurate reading. Hence I was asking if generally flying Finnair FF on BA iron gives less points than flying BAEC on BA iron or are they "equivalent".

As the BAEC tier accumulation is so different (600 vs 80K for OW Sapphire) i was just wondering if there is big difference as Im thinking of swapping to Finnair.
I would say in general you would be better off with BAEC, especially if you are flying mostly economy or premium economy (AY+ generally does not give more points for PEY). Additionally, I would say Avios in general are more “valuable” than AY+ points. I think the calculation might be different if you were flying mostly AY or AY codeshares, since AY+ elites get bonus tier points (e.g., AY golds get a bonus 15% on AY flights and codeshares), which technically makes requalification easier.
flyingeph12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 19, 9:21 am
  #1957  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Gold, but ask me again in May :), AA, BA, SK, DL, NT + hotels
Posts: 3,135
Originally Posted by dietervonbuck View Post
Hi,
Quick question, do I get less points for flying BA to HEL than flying AY to HEL if I have my Finnair FF- number in the ticket?
Most likely, yes. If you collect AY points, and
- fly AY metal, AY flight number, it's easy enough to earn 2000 points on a Value ticket, or 4000 in business class
- fly AY metal, AY flight number on the cheapest tickets, earn 1000 points (or even 500 if it's a campaign fare)
- fly BA metal but AY flight number, those figures are 913 (Light), 1825 (Value) and 3650 (Business) (or at least should be; this is a destination that has both codeshare flights and AY metal flights and in some cases the codeshares have received points according to zones, ie 2000/4000
- fly BA metal, BA flight number, you'll most likely earn 25-50% in Y and 125 % in J (calculated from 1825 base points based on distance in kms)
ffay005 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 19, 9:36 am
  #1958  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: BAEC/AY
Posts: 4
Super, thanks a lot for this clarification - seems like it might be always just a tad more beneficial flying the ticket and metal on the same company even if its in the alliance, as there will otherwise most likely be some deductions

Also with AY not having Premium Economy tickets valued the the same way BAEC does. Last question, If you could choose any OW Sapphire membership and would be based in London, would it still make most sense going with BA even if a lot of the flights are to Helsinki?
dietervonbuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 19, 11:14 am
  #1959  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC,SFO
Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,055
Originally Posted by dietervonbuck View Post
Super, thanks a lot for this clarification - seems like it might be always just a tad more beneficial flying the ticket and metal on the same company even if its in the alliance, as there will otherwise most likely be some deductions

Also with AY not having Premium Economy tickets valued the the same way BAEC does. Last question, If you could choose any OW Sapphire membership and would be based in London, would it still make most sense going with BA even if a lot of the flights are to Helsinki?
Personally, I would choose AY over BA because I like the A321s and A359s that AY uses on LHR-HEL, as opposed to the A319/20s that BA tends to use. Also, in general, I think it’s also easier to upgrade (if you value upgrades) with AY+ since Golds (OWS) get upgrade vouchers. The flip side, as I mentioned before, Avios in general I think are more valuable overall.
flyingeph12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 19, 11:44 am
  #1960  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: HEL
Programs: anti-MaRiot SPG/IHG-P HH-D LeClub/CC-G, BA/A3-G DL/AY-P, Octopus
Posts: 4,842
You don't specify if metal and marketing is the same, though. Marketing is what counts so you can fly AY code, BA op as much as you want.

I'd stick to BAEC even when flying to HEL. LHR-HEL is a sort of sweet spot in the system earning 10-40TP (more realistically 10 or 20) in Y and 80TP in J, whether you're on AY or BA code. The watering down of BA operated flights will make it far more difficult to POAG or AUP, though. If you have status with BA, you will get extra Avios, e.g. BA Silver gets 50% extra Avios.

Last edited by remymartin; Mar 12, 19 at 11:50 am
remymartin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 19, 2:49 pm
  #1961  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 333
Originally Posted by remymartin View Post
You don't specify if metal and marketing is the same, though. Marketing is what counts so you can fly AY code, BA op as much as you want.
AY code, AY metal: Points to AY+ are based on a fake distance of 2000 km.
AY code, BA metal: Points to AY+ are supposed to be based on the actual distance. Only a minor difference (less than 10%) on this route.
BA code, AY/BA metal: Points to AY+ are based on the actual distance.

Looking at a random date (HEL-LHR 21 March, LHR-HEL 28 March), codeshares are a lot more expensive than if you don't book codeshare. AY.com only offered Pro on AY codeshares on BA, but Value (and often Light) could be selected on AY flights. BA.com had a lot higher prices for BA codeshares on AY than for BA flights, except that the most expensive BA flight had the same price as the cheapest AY flight in business class. Unless you need fully flexible tickets, you probably won't want codeshares.

BA people seem to use the HEL-LHR route for mileage runs (see for example this thread), so it may be that the route earns better on BA's FFP than on AY's FFP.

Last edited by Some person; Mar 12, 19 at 2:54 pm
Some person is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 19, 9:33 am
  #1962  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Monaco
Programs: Amex Plat
Posts: 97
Hi all, fighting with AY IT system. Trying to add members to the FF group, select invitation language, name, email, easy. No matter which language I choose system keep displaying an error: Language is required.
Did anyone had that and how to progress?

Invite members

Send invitations to people you know – they will receive a message to join your Family&Friends group. You can invite a maximum of 8 people to join your group.

Please check the following field(s):
  • Language is required
Gobber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 4:25 pm
  #1963  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,104
BAEC vs AY+

Among the reasons BA people like to take BA HEL-LHR in J is not only 80 TP OW but also that the J tickets could be found for 400 € R/T. AY tickets cost at least 900 €.
remymartin and esledo like this.
nordic is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread