Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by SuloL
2. You can upgrade any cash tickets as well as normal redemptions. But don't use points to pay for a part of your flight.
[...]
4. Yes, except maybe those combinations of cash+points (someone more knowledgeable may confirm this)
5. IMO, You should absolutely NEVER use points as a method of co-payment (i.e. points + money). Just booked a flight and had a bit of fun to see what AY values those points at: I could've used 400k points and gotten less than 900€ off the ticket price. For that, I can redeem 2.5 roundtrips in J. You can also waitlist for awards.
2 & 4 & 5: Booking class X (award ticket & points + money offer) is upgradable by vouchers. If you buy a regular ticket and pay a part with your points then you should (not tested) hold a regular ticket with an earning booking class. And that is upgradable by vouchers and points.

Concerning the price comparison: please be aware that award tickets are flexible while cheap Y and also J tickets are not.

The best reference for any questions regarding upgrades is The Big Upgrade Thread.
Jaken likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Jainzar
If you buy a regular ticket and pay a part with your points then you should (not tested) hold a regular ticket with an earning booking class. And that is upgradable by vouchers and points.
Are you sure? Is this different than the cash + points offering that earn zilch?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by remymartin
Is this different than the cash + points offering that earn zilch?
Yes, Any Seat Award is like 100% in cash paid ticket. Cash+points offers earn 0.
remymartin likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:59 am

Hi, we booked a codeshare flight on British Airways.

Dublin - HEL - Osaka in business with Finnair, back on BA.

First flight ever on Finnair. We would like to select our seats. but it tells us we can not?

Any ideas or suggestions on how to select our own seats?

on the Dublin - Hel flight, it assigned us 1A & 1C.

thank you.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by Mike_Smith

First flight ever on Finnair. We would like to select our seats. but it tells us we can not?

thank you.
Finnair seat selection on codeshare flights is just a big black hole. We've been complaining for a long time but nothing has been done. So don't get your hopes up about getting anything before OLCI opens.

You could try calling BA. With Finnair you're most likely out of luck unless you get an excellent agent. But please report back if you manage to get the seats one way or the other.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
How long does it usually take to get a response from the Platinum email address?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:08 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
My last contact (missing points) was fixed and answered in 1hour 45 minutes.

IME, avoiding using a minority language has been beneficial for response times.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
How long does it usually take to get a response from the Platinum email address?
Varies a LOT. I am in frequent contact with them.
it can take days if complex issue or whatever
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by FFlash

Varies a LOT. I am in frequent contact with them.
it can take days if complex issue or whatever
Hmm alright, thanks! My points & segments wont credit and its preventing me from turning Plat. I filled out the retroclaim form and it said it would take 24 hours to credit, but still nothing....

it has been 4 days.

Flying to Bangkok this Friday and would be nice to enjoy Plat benefits.....
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Try via chat. They were able to help me in a similar situation.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by SuloL
So don't get your hopes up about getting anything before OLCI opens.

You could try calling BA. With Finnair you're most likely out of luck unless you get an excellent agent.
I can't agree here. I've always managed to be able to push through seat selections on the phone with a Finnair agent.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by EuroFlash

Hmm alright, thanks! My points & segments wont credit and its preventing me from turning Plat. I filled out the retroclaim form and it said it would take 24 hours to credit, but still nothing....

it has been 4 days.

Flying to Bangkok this Friday and would be nice to enjoy Plat benefits.....
in this kind of situation try the chat. Then if not helping, call plat line and insist them fixing it for you on the go. You will get access to them by explaining thay you are in fact now plat and not gold.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist

thank you.
I am not exactly sure if this is your situation, but I recently had an AY codeshare on BA (i.e., AY-marketed, BA-operated). I was able to get the BA PNR from an AY agent (you can call or use the chat) and then select my seats using BAs MMB.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by flyingeph12

I am not exactly sure if this is your situation, but I recently had an AY codeshare on BA (i.e., AY-marketed, BA-operated). I was able to get the BA PNR from an AY agent (you can call or use the chat) and then select my seats using BA’s MMB.
BA and AY have been using the same PNR since a couple of years now, though?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12

I am not exactly sure if this is your situation, but I recently had an AY codeshare on BA (i.e., AY-marketed, BA-operated). I was able to get the BA PNR from an AY agent (you can call or use the chat) and then select my seats using BAs MMB.
Can you please translate that into English? :-)

please and thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.