Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Their website in the Plat page says "You and your travel companion will receive a free drink and a newspaper when flying in Finnair Economy Class", it doesn't explicitly say one beverage per person. Let's say someone orders a gin & tonic, they will be handed two containers of free liquid. As some FA's like to provide more than one serving, it makes me think there is no official policy.
I agree that "a drink" means "one drink", but it certainly doesn't say it has to be 1 bottle - as they offer cocktails in the Sky Bistro menu, I have never had a problem getting one Sisu, despite usually receiving it in a Do It Yourself way, so in fact having an opportunity to enjoy one alcoholic and one non-alcoholic drink (if I wanted...). I think I've only been offered an extra serving in a maximum of 3 times, and that happened in autumn 2016. So far the whole 2017 has been a strict one serving year (and well, last 3 months were dry due to waiting for getting back to Emerald, but that's another story).
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by intuition
I do hope they show these attributes on the seatmap!
Has anyone else tried the facebook-seatmap thing lately? Hasn't worked for me in ages...
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by cistavoda
Has anyone else tried the facebook-seatmap thing lately? Hasn't worked for me in ages...
Just for the sake of it I always try to do it, but it has NEVER worked for me.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Yeah, it never seemed to work for me either - or then I don't understand how it was supposed to work.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:17 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Didn't they officially kill it off?
Anyway, I did it once in the beginning and got it "working", ie nothing happened. I think it was supposed to alert me if there was someone else checked in using the same tool, but there was like 250 users in total so the chance of that happening was miniscule.

Now it seems all it does is post in your facebook stream (last time I ever saw it do that was a post from Cistavoda in 2016...)
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Posting to the Facebook feed still works - but it's a separate button on the last page of the check-in flow.

(Though the text tends to be cut short and the link useless.)
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:44 pm

I'm AB Platinum, which is a OWE. Am I right, can I expect one free drink for me and my +1 (which is Oneworld Ruby), even a flight is operated by Nordic Regional Airlines? We never used AY before.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by 31570324
I'm AB Platinum, which is a OWE. Am I right, can I expect one free drink for me and my +1 (which is Oneworld Ruby), even a flight is operated by Nordic Regional Airlines? We never used AY before.
As long as you don't expect it proactively, then yes. Most often than not, they'll NOT offer you a drink, unless you ask for it, when the SkyBistro trolley is next to you.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
What route with Norra are you flying?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
What route with Norra are you flying?
HAM-HEL-IVL/IVL-KTT-HEL-HAM. HAM-HEL and HEL-HAM seems to be operated by Norra.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
HAM-HEL-IVL/IVL-KTT-HEL-HAM. HAM-HEL and HEL-HAM seems to be operated by Norra.
I was wondering as some Norra routes such as HEL-TKU or HEL-TLL have no service at all. HAM-HEL does have service so you should get your drink there.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by intuition
I'm assuming "companion" would mean either being on the same PNR or someone sitting with you.
(Otherwise we all should send a champers to the sorry traveller on 58Ö)
On a flight MAN-HEL I ordered myself a coke and wanted to buy a friend sitting 10 rows back a beer (having lost a bet ).

The FA proposed a compromise that I pay the price of the coke and she will put the beer in the system as complimentary. I was happy with that!
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
My Plat recognition HEL-TSE was "kolme euroa" (= three euros), ie newspaper charge. Turns out their system hadn't recognized my status. (Was quickly resolved, though.) I thought it was because I was flying on a BA award ticket where I had manually changed the FF# afterwards to get lounge access etc. AY# was printed on BP.

However, on my return, on the same ticket, their systems had recognized me as Plat, so it must have been some other temporary glitch. Also, on the return, they had a second drink service and I asked nicely if I could have a second drink. No problems!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Forgive the question (I've tried searching the forum, probably using wrong search words) but does this relate to the colour coding of seats on the cabin crew's ipad-thingies they use when doing the drinks service? I saw I was highlighted gold with other seats/people different colours.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by offshore_bob
Forgive the question (I've tried searching the forum, probably using wrong search words) but does this relate to the colour coding of seats on the cabin crew's ipad-thingies they use when doing the drinks service? I saw I was highlighted gold with other seats/people different colours.
Yes. It shows status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.