Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by esledo
This is kinda opposite to my experience on LHR-HEL last week. As it was a BA codeshare I had BA OWE in the system. According to the FA "policy has changed" and only AY Platinum gets free drink (and newspaper). After showing my AY Plat card got both the drink and newspaper.
I checked this about 10 days ago with AY CS and was told no changes known. I also did a r/t l/h that same week and the pursers were not aware of a policy change, so the service continued as is. It seems you were a victim of a rogue FA, who made his/her own rules up.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by remymartin
I checked this about 10 days ago with AY CS and was told no changes known. I also did a r/t l/h that same week and the pursers were not aware of a policy change, so the service continued as is. It seems you were a victim of a rogue FA, who made his/her own rules up.
AY+ net pages show no change in the policy. Very obviously rogue FA, just as remymartin noted. Perhaps time for feedback again?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S
Originally Posted by remymartin
Same here no problem last Friday on GOT-HEL to have a round of champagne + juice to family of three with BA OWE.

AY has treated us extremely well while BA´s BoB policy sucks bigtime
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by jouhka
AY has treated us extremely well while BA´s BoB policy sucks bigtime:mad
Some BA Gold once tweeted to BA that they get better treatment in Y on AA and AY vs BA.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: AY+ Plat
Originally Posted by ffay005
Well, it sounds like I've got something to look forward to on my upcoming HEL-SIN and SIN-HEL flights. I hope the mattress is offered on those, too. Both are night flights.
These test matresses are flying with OH-LWC according to purser of today's AY831. Great flight btw, nice service and status recognition. Also my feedback about the digital paper delivery was asked and recorded.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:15 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
No problem getting champagne for myself and my wife (teetotal, so I had hers too) on the return RVN-HEL too. I found that a splash of blueberry juice added to the NF (still seems to be NF on the Sky Bistro) made for a lovely cocktail full of bonus anti oxidants on a sunny morning flight.
So I hope there hasn't been a policy change for free drinks for OWE in Y.

I agree AA, AY, CX, QR treat BA OWE better than BA does.
We were mightily impressed with AY domestic Y on HEL-RVN-HEL on the ERJ-190. Row 1 had excellent legroom, plenty of overhead space and on time flights. Felt a few steps up from BA.
The ATR72 on the other hand (HEL-TLL-HEL) was awful. Hot and cramped.

Last edited by Jed; Jul 1, 2017 at 10:27 am
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
HEL-CPH op by FC, no platinum recognition whatsoever, that is to say, no offer of drink or newspaper. Maybe free alcohol is deemed inappropriate in the morning?

(Return upgraded to J with points. Two rounds of JP.)
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, AF Platinum
Gifts after 400k tier points?

Hi. So I was receiving these pretty regularly until a few months ago. I received a 400,000 tier points gift and the email said the next one is at 500,000. 3 months later I still have not received any more and I am over 900,000 tier points (I have been practically living in airports).

Anyway, I emailed platinum customer service a couple of weeks ago and they apologized for the delay and said I would be getting something soon. Shorty after this I received a summer gift email. Not sure if that was what they meant or not.

So, I don't want to keep bothering Finnair, but I have given them a lot of business... I guess I just wanted to see if anyone out there has received anything in the past at 500,000+ tier points in a tracking period.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:07 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by napapiiri
I am over 900,000 tier points (I have been practically living in airports).
Wow! What kind of flights do You fly and You fly every day?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:19 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

Anyway, I emailed platinum customer service a couple of weeks ago and they apologized for the delay and said I would be getting something soon. Shorty after this I received a summer gift email. Not sure if that was what they meant or not.
I believe that was not it. The x00 000 bonuses are labled as such and the summer gift is something others also have gotten (rather randomly, not specifically tied to any achievement or values).
My guess is that you did not get the 500k mail (and there is likely similar mail at every 100k level upwards) and that something has broken in their automated loyalty system.
A worst case scenario is that someone just terminated the system, and left people hanging despite promises of "the next level is..". As it always was a undocumented perk someone may think travellers have no expectation of receiving anything and it can be shut down instantly.

I think you should bother them with this, if for nothing else to learn if the program is gone and giving them business beyond 150k is pointless.

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Wow! What kind of flights do You fly and You fly every day?
I reckon same as you, just in J
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by intuition

I think you should bother them with this, if for nothing else to learn if the program is gone and giving them business beyond 150k is pointless.
Not quite... Because if he keeps up with such flying patter for another 4-5 years, he has the mythical lifetime Plat tier!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Hi. So I was receiving these pretty regularly until a few months ago. I received a 400,000 tier points gift and the email said the next one is at 500,000. 3 months later I still have not received any more and I am over 900,000 tier points (I have been practically living in airports).
WOW!

Truth be told, I'd probably spread out my earnings among several other OW FFPs
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Not quite... Because if he keeps up with such flying patter for another 4-5 years, he has the mythical lifetime Plat tier!
My thoughts exactly!

Besides, while I totally understand the rational of trying to find more lucrative pastures after 150k, it just may be the case that using AY services simply is the most convenient option for someone residing in Finland. And yes, you can of course credit your AY J flights elsewhere but with the current earning rates it just seems such a waste...

900k tier points...! It will take some time to get this out of my system! Would be very interesting to hear more about your flying patterns, Napapiiri.

Last edited by LoungeEnthusiast; Jul 7, 2017 at 9:02 am Reason: Arguments added
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by LoungeEnthusiast
it just may be the case that using AY services simply is the most convenient option for someone residing in Finland. And yes, you can of course credit your AY J flights elsewhere but with the current earning rates it just seems such a waste...
E.g at BAEC AY J earns the same double TPs as a BA flight would. A quick and dirty calculation says 900k is 22-23 return longhauls in C - throw 6 of those at BA and get BA OWE as well (any 4 flights need to be on BA code or metal)

OTOH I can easily imagine, that at that level of flying, one gets so jaded, that TPs, etc are just ISMO*

* this one is a tough nut for anyone over 25 and/or not native Finnish speaker and not having such person in the household. Ihan Sama Minusta Oikeasti.
It's replacing EVVK in a certain demographics, or so I hear
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: AY Lumo, AF Platinum
Wow. Thank you everyone for your responses. I think another email to Finnair customer service about this won't hurt. I will do my best to answer all of your questions.

I live in Finland and have a chronically ill family member in the USA. I am the only one willing/able to help and was appointed the legal guardian of my relative by the court.

I fly mostly OUL-HEL-JFK twice a month in J. This family member is retired and likes to travel A LOT, but is unable to do so alone for safety reasons. So, I have had other trips to the west coast of the USA and a couple of Australia runs thrown in as well this year.

Kindly, this person offered to fly me in J/F cabins (mostly because of the short turnaround time) and those points add up quickly. I also have KLM/AF Platinum status, so I do spread it out a little. I imagine I will look at other OW carriers if I ever get the elusive lifetime AY Plat.

I would also be very happy to meet up with some of you/give guest lounge access when I am transiting through HEL. It does get pretty lonely always being in the air.

Last edited by napapiiri; Jul 7, 2017 at 10:58 am Reason: addition

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.