Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: AY*PL, TK*ELPL, AF*PL, HH*Diam, MR*Plat
Almost empty HEL-OSL this morning. Was asked if I‘d like to move to the emergency exit after a very long (but not unpleasant) chat with the purser. Financial Times and Iltäsanomat (the heaviest IS that I’ve ever seen) offered. Then during drinks the young FA didn‘t realize why I was telling her I had moved from 7C and wasn‘t going to pay for my drink – a quick clarification with the purser, and I got offered two proactive refills during the flight. Kippis!
SPBanker likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by AndyA
HEL-ATH. No greeting, but newspaper was offered. Free drink was served discreetly, I simply asked for a champagne and she handed it to me and moved on to the next passenger. I believe there was also a lumotic gentleman on board, one row in front of me in Y.
Which day? I flew HEL-ATH on Sunday 170618, sitting at 3F mobbed by the Estonian mothers + kids entourage.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Are you sure you did not mistake the upgarde list for the stand by list? It is very unlikely that there would have been people on the upgarde list, and not clearing in to empty seats. People on the lists, generally watch them like hawks. And Oneworld OWE does not put you into the upgarde ranking at all, so the gate agent did it is a favour as she had seats that had no upgrade request, but maybe needed an empty seat in Y for a stand by.
Yes, I'm sure. Standby list had 1 name when I got there and then, when I was added, 2 names. Upgrade list had 5 names and no cleared ticks at all. The upgrade list looked like this all the way to group 6 boarding, which is when I got my BP and boarded. I was the last pax to be seated in F, everyone who boarded after me went to Y. (Of course, it could be possible that they had cleared all five pax and given them new BPs before I got to the gate, but why not show them as cleared on the list then?)
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
Two experiences on AY in Y as OWE.

WAW-HEL on 18 June: no newspapers offered or available (though the Fantazja lounge had HS and HBL). Asked for a champagne, was given one with a plastic cup and not charged for it.

HEL-LHR on 24 June: equipment change from A320 to A321 and my emergency exit seat reservation was protected (not everyone else's was, resulting in some unhappy passengers on boarding). Newspapers offered proactively. Asked for a champagne and was given one in an Ultima Thule glass - and not charged for it. My seat appeared in a different colour on the flight attendant's sales unit.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE)
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Which day? I flew HEL-ATH on Sunday 170618, sitting at 3F mobbed by the Estonian mothers + kids entourage.
Same flight, 4C! You commented to me before the flight about a strange question by the gate crew and I just shrugged back to you. Didn't mean to be rude, but I was really too tired and anxious to even attempt any verbal communication, sorry!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Seat block seams to work even on C on intercont. Checked in yesterday for HKG-HEL - two different PNR for me and partner. She (AY Gold) couldn't chose the seat next to me, though for me it seemed free. When she picked first, I could pick the seat next to her.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Something for AY to learn - had an almost full QF flight, long before departure the seat next to me was blocked. At check-in, QF agent informed me that they would try to keep it blocked as long as possible, even though it was QF Platinum heavy flight. Luckily, most of them certainly didn't travel alone, so the seat block remained untouched (even confirmed at gate with smile).
I wish AY could start real seat-block system, too, instead of the current mysterious trial-and-error.
ffay005 and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:06 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by on22cz
Something for AY to learn - had an almost full QF flight, long before departure the seat next to me was blocked.
I wish AY could start real seat-block system, too, instead of the current mysterious trial-and-error.
Isn't the difference that on QF, you can't really select seats on all flights? I did a dummy booking on QF1/2 and I was not able to even purchase a seat. All I can do is indicate if I prefer window or aisle.

AY has made it a large part of their ancillary revenue project to cram money from seat selection. So they don't really want anything to get in the way of that. A seat block would remove many seats from selection, thus yield less money.

Sure, a seat block would likely affect mostly middle seats that few wants to pay for, but that is where "the computer" needs space to put those idiots refusing to pay for a better seat.
Also, a party of two needs a middle seat to be seated together.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by intuition
Isn't the difference that on QF, you can't really select seats on all flights? I did a dummy booking on QF1/2 and I was not able to even purchase a seat. All I can do is indicate if I prefer window or aisle.
I had no problem selecting a seat for free (QF ticket, QF flight number). Window / aisle selection I remember from standard codeshares. Before OLCI started, there were many front rows available to status pax only (and at least those seats next to Emerald pax must had been blocked immediately based on my ExpertFlyer + QF website observation. With OLCI kick-off, EF showed pretty much all unoccupied seats as blocked, while QF website enabled seat selection, yet still keeping Emerald neighbour seats blocked. Staff then confirmed it had been held blocked on purpose, so I'd say the system works pretty well.

AY has made it a large part of their ancillary revenue project to cram money from seat selection. So they don't really want anything to get in the way of that. A seat block would remove many seats from selection, thus yield less money.

Sure, a seat block would likely affect mostly middle seats that few wants to pay for, but that is where "the computer" needs space to put those idiots refusing to pay for a better seat.
Also, a party of two needs a middle seat to be seated together.
I see the point. Just based on my observations, middle seats become occupied in later stages of OLCI most of the times = when it is free, hence earning nothing to AY. I'd also say if you want to pay for a seat, you don't care would it be row 4 or 6, and I dare to say you can always get a seat or two in the first 3-4 rows of Y cabin (in case more than window / aisle preference matters to you).
I think everyone would be happy even if they kept all seats open for everyone until OLCI starts (to enable some revenue stream). Then the system should block seats based on expected load factor and elite-heaviness*. Those who refuse to pay for better seats would most likely not complain that they were seated on 9B next to Silver member instead of next to Plat on 6E.

*Priority based on status - e.g. Lumo > Platinum > Emerald > Gold. In most cases, this would be enough.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
I fly QF quite a bit but never had seat block mentioned, ever. There have been sporadic emtpy seats next to me though.
And you can select your seats to your heart's content as an OWE - I've never flown a QF A388 in Y on the lower deck.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by AndyA
Same flight, 4C! You commented to me before the flight about a strange question by the gate crew and I just shrugged back to you. Didn't mean to be rude, but I was really too tired and anxious to even attempt any verbal communication, sorry!
Hahah, somehow I had a feeling that might have been you! You guys didn't exactly fit the usual passenger demographics on the Athens flight .

And yeah, that flight has a rather horrible schedule. And I had a flight to HER at 0730 so roughed it at the Athens airport after our 3 AM arrival too so I know a thing or two about fatigue...

PS. Nice to meet you!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:37 am

I know someone who used to work at Amadeus and he told me that many airlines use their new seat management software which handles the seat assignments, charging for them etc. Apparently that software isn't exactly perfect and things like seat blocking based on status are highly unlikely to work as expected - BA for one uses it and very often it manages to really screw it up.

I have no idea if Finnair has adopted it, but wouldn't be surprised considering that they run on Amadeus anyway. Like a good number of airlines in the world.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:47 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I had no problem selecting a seat for free (QF ticket, QF flight number). Window / aisle selection I remember from standard codeshares. ...
OK, I see!

I see the point. Just based on my observations, middle seats become occupied in later stages of OLCI most of the times = when it is free, hence earning nothing to AY. I'd also say if you want to pay for a seat, you don't care would it be row 4 or 6, and I dare to say you can always get a seat or two in the first 3-4 rows of Y cabin (in case more than window / aisle preference matters to you).
I think everyone would be happy even if they kept all seats open for everyone until OLCI starts (to enable some revenue stream). Then the system should block seats based on expected load factor and elite-heaviness*. Those who refuse to pay for better seats would most likely not complain that they were seated on 9B next to Silver member instead of next to Plat on 6E.

*Priority based on status - e.g. Lumo > Platinum > Emerald > Gold. In most cases, this would be enough.
Agree completely that a non-chooser won't care much for 6E over 9B. And a single block on 6E won't prevent a party of two to pay for 9AB either.

My line of thought is that a seat block system must keep the seat next to tier member X blocked from the instance he chooses a seat and until boarding complete. And to only give the block up if seats are in short supply. Otherwise, you'll end up with a unpredictable mess.

And that such a hard block might be undesirable if the airline prioritises making money from seat selection. So they choose to install a seating system that promises to simultaneous "... boost productivity and optimise revenues while also enhancing the passenger experience through differentiated customer service." and end up with an unpredictable mess.

I know someone who used to work at Amadeus and he told me that many airlines use their new seat management software which handles the seat assignments, charging for them etc. Apparently that software isn't exactly perfect and things like seat blocking based on status are highly unlikely to work as expected - BA for one uses it and very often it manages to really screw it up.

I have no idea if Finnair has adopted it
I firmly believe they have.

I also think that the software does pretty much what it is supposed to but airlines are either in a habit of mis-configure it or not skilled enough to understand the effects of each setting they do. Just my 2 cents, absolutely no inside info on the matter.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE)
Hahah, somehow I had a feeling that might have been you! You guys didn't exactly fit the usual passenger demographics on the Athens flight .

And yeah, that flight has a rather horrible schedule. And I had a flight to HER at 0730 so roughed it at the Athens airport after our 3 AM arrival too so I know a thing or two about fatigue...

PS. Nice to meet you!
Nice to meet you too!

I managed to get to bed around 5am and, guess what, straight to a meeting 8.30am. The stupid things you do for a living...

Well, enough höpö höpö for this topic!

I had a great flight to HKG a while back, standard Plat benefits and also some extras in form of ice-cream after the dinner and a cheese plate later on. The crew was very attentive and proactive, sometimes it's nice that you don't feel like you have to beg for service. In the end, me and a randomly encountered fellow Plat sitting across the aisle, had a very pleasant, and somewhat "wet", night in Y.
vulle likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:01 pm

Got a new experience tonight. While serving beverages flight attendants jumped over the row where I was sitting and when I pressed the call button they just told they will come back after they have completed the rest of plane. Some other passanger near them told them that they didn't serve our row when the flight attendant returned and asked what I want, in my opinion unpolitely and without apologies.

I told I'd like to have champagne and some snacks. When she had served these she asked how I would like to settle the bill? I showed her my membership card and she replied this is not a credit card...

-sulkkis
remymartin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.