Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: Finnair Plat
I have always appreciated the news papers a lot. In LH there are no newspapers any longer; "Sorry Sir, we don't have any news papers. There is this web thing..."

I'm not happy with this "improvement":

1. The download of the newspapers starts only when the plane is in the air (non-HEL departure). On night flight I want to sleep by then. I want to read the paper when preparing the take off.
2. Reading from small phone screen is painful; or does not work. I don't want to carry one more tool (tablet) with me to read the paper on the plane
3. How do you make sudoku on the screen?

There was an comment somewhere that the empty seat would be payable. I'm happy to pay the 5 EUR for the news paper if available - extra perk for Plats?
ffay005 and Ukki like this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
You need to learn Swedish. HBL is available as a paper-paper on longhauls. ^ And yes, I agree with you 100 per cent. The newspaper is perfect for those 40 minutes during which you sit and wait for the plane to take off.
FFlash likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
I
Originally Posted by Talonmies
I have always appreciated the news papers a lot. In LH there are no newspapers any longer; "Sorry Sir, we don't have any news papers. There is this web thing..."

I'm not happy with this "improvement":

1. The download of the newspapers starts only when the plane is in the air (non-HEL departure). On night flight I want to sleep by then. I want to read the paper when preparing the take off.
2. Reading from small phone screen is painful; or does not work. I don't want to carry one more tool (tablet) with me to read the paper on the plane
3. How do you make sudoku on the screen?

There was an comment somewhere that the empty seat would be payable. I'm happy to pay the 5 EUR for the news paper if available - extra perk for Plats?
I 100% agree with Talonmies. This is exactly what I have written for AYas feedback. Please send your feedback - the more theu receive similar feedback, the more there would be pressure to take their step back
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:17 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
A firm +1.

Paper issues does not need to be stowed during take off, doesn't require me to carry an extra reading device, is not affected by tech problems/limitations and can easily be used in any "time-gap" when you are busy doing nothing.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:57 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Same from here, removing newspapers from LH J is just ridiculous cost saving..I'd rather see them axing them from short haul completely, if their pennies are so tight.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by ffay005
The newspaper is perfect for those 40 minutes during which you sit and wait for the plane to take off.
Last time I flew I found 4 old newspapers in the pocket and thought that LGG must have been here running the previous leg but then thought no, it was a SAS flight ARN-HEL
ffay005, SPBanker and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by FFlash
Last time I flew I found 4 old newspapers in the pocket and thought that LGG must have been here running the previous leg but then thought no, it was a SAS flight ARN-HEL
This wasn't secondhand papers in the seat pocket, it was a crisp Iltis placed on the seat, clearly put there for the person in 11C. That seat, however, remained empty.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:58 am

Today MIA-HEL, no recognition at all, no upgrade possibility and seat somewhere at row 30+ so there must have been a plane fullnof other Plats...

-sulkkis
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:32 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I feel for you. You are not having much luck
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by sulkkis
Today MIA-HEL, no recognition at all, no upgrade possibility and seat somewhere at row 30+ so there must have been a plane fullnof other Plats...
Did you buy ticket after check-in had already started? I've noticed same thing sometimes when buying ticket like 6hrs before departure. Only available seats are 47B and 58Ö and CS/check-in staff wont/cant help.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:16 am

This time maybe three weeks ahead of departure which was on Last Monday...

-sulkkis
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:25 am

And other thing I just noticed that the tickets were PRO class so not the cheapest...
-sulkkis
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Had the same experience in early Jan on MIA-HEL (was Plat back then) trying to upgrade our family of three (with vouchers and points). But it was indeed a very busy flight.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: Finnair Plat
On my next flight HEL-ARN I had booked seat for myself, checked that the next seat was empty (exit on one direction). I asked Plat call center if they could book my colleague on the same flight to sit next to me. "He doesn't have a status. Let me check if I can do that?" I didn't have time to wait when the agent tries to reach somebody (Vauramo?) to confirm. Let's see next week if we next to each other.

On many of my replies to Finnair I have suggested them to empower the customer facing personnel to: a) make decisions and b) say: "yes, of course..." as a default rather than "No, this is not in the standard procedure..."

So far this message has went to Vauramo. The next one who meets him on the plane or somewhere, please remember to pass that message.

I do agree that this is for my own comfort, but even more I'm thinking of the future of Finnair, which by the way is also my/our benefit. They need change the service attitude dramatically in order to compete with the growing Asian/Chinese competition.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:32 am
Moderator, Finnair

-sulkkis

Has the denied upgrades otherwise been on Asian routes?
Finnair removed capacity from Asia in feb leading to seasonal record high load factors (91,2% is a loadfactor usually only seen in summer traffic)

NA routes has the normal seasonal loadfactor around 78%. (Loadfactors on NA are notedly lower since 2016, but then again AY capacity is up ≈70% since 2014 so I guess it is expected).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.