Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:04 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cistavoda
Well well well. It's not just beer. I had 3 servings of ice cream yesterday on AY90. (with beer)
The amount of flying required to get/keep AY Plat they should give them non-stop free ice cream on all flights they are grinding out in long haul whY

But glad you had good service!
Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:08 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Hartsa
I was there on January. It is more like a widened corridor than a lounge. Booze, beer and chips available. I stayed there for about five minutes and went to the other lounge next door which you can use with PP and DC cards. Much better!
Yeah, I was there yesterday. Such a bad lounge, but beats the BUD lounge anyway! Sadly I don't have DC or PP.

Platinum recognition on these flights (my first Platinum flights) was pretty strange. When I told them what I wanted to drink, they served me the champagne and just didn't do the payment part. Nobody actually said anything.

The same was with the newspapers. When the newspaper trollie came to my seat, the FA just looked at me.

On top of that my biggest platinum perk was that the seat slided away when I was leaning backwards. The FA told to keep my belt tight and I'd be fine.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:12 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by lkrt
Platinum recognition on these flights (my first Platinum flights) was pretty strange. When I told them what I wanted to drink, they served me the champagne and just didn't do the payment part. Nobody actually said anything.

The same was with the newspapers. When the newspaper trollie came to my seat, the FA just looked at me.
Platinum recognition is sometimes weird. On my recent flight, a FA said "Sä varmaan haluut lehden" (in English something like "I bet you want a paper") and handed over a tabloid, Ilta-Sanomat, without any choise.

Is it so difficult to say: Welcome aboard, good to see you back. Would you like something to read?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:12 am

Platinum recognition on AY is sometimes weird. On my recent flight, a FA said "Sä varmaan haluut lehden" (in English something like "I bet you want a paper") and handed a tabloid, Ilta-Sanomat, without any choise.

Is it so difficult to say: Welcome aboard, good to see you back. Would you like something to read?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
For Finns it is. We dont have a real customer service culture and we still dont understand who pays our salaries.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: LH SEN
This would apparently also differentiate the supposed-to-receive-extra-benefits platinum member from other more mortal passengers. With Finns it's a no-no that someone would be entitled to something more than the others.

In my experience newspaper or platinum drink benefit is usually executed without a word of welcome, no mention about the status or anything else that would arouse suspicions amongst fellow travellers.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by esledo
This would apparently also differentiate the supposed-to-receive-extra-benefits platinum member from other more mortal passengers. With Finns it's a no-no that someone would be entitled to something more than the others.

In my experience newspaper or platinum drink benefit is usually executed without a word of welcome, no mention about the status or anything else that would arouse suspicions amongst fellow travellers.
Agree, and I actually understand the cultural context very well. Many would consider it awkward if they were crowned kings and queens in front of others.

Another silly way to do it is the standard "welcome-back-we-value-your-loyalty-in-choosing-Hilton" i get when the Hilton receptionist accesses my profile at check-in. The wording the same independent of place and the message is communicated at the speed of light between two sentences.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
"Sä varmaan haluut lehden" (in English something like "I bet you want a paper") and handed a tabloid, Ilta-Sanomat, without any choise.
Or even "Ya wan' a paper, doncha?"
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:53 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
So has anyone tested this benefit with a non OWE status On the BP but a OWE card in hand?

I am sure I will have to "fight" for it but I will test this out in 4 hours so I will know then
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
So has anyone tested this benefit with a non OWE status On the BP but a OWE card in hand?
Where will you be crediting today?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by esledo

Originally Posted by CeruleanBlue
Agree, and I actually understand the cultural context very well. Many would consider it awkward if they were crowned kings and queens in front of others.

Another silly way to do it is the standard "welcome-back-we-value-your-loyalty-in-choosing-Hilton" i get when the Hilton receptionist accesses my profile at check-in. The wording the same independent of place and the message is communicated at the speed of light between two sentences.
I prefer being recognised. One can call it crowning if wish so. There's no harm to anyone to thank you for the loyalty. Sometimes even Finnair crew manage to do it right, just like in Cathay Pacific style. It just bad behaviour not to say anything but stare as has happened. Small talk isn’t illegal in Finland but many Finnish are way too modest.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:04 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Talking

Where will you be crediting today?
😱 Shhhhhhh AY Plus 😃 Today my ba F trip finished my OWE AA EXP so now I will start with AY, not 100% sure how far Ill go but I guess Plat is not ruled out I am testing for now
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:29 am

😱 Shhhhhhh AY Plus 😃 Today my ba F trip finished my OWE AA EXP so now I will start with AY, not 100% sure how far Ill go but I guess Plat is not ruled out I am testing for now
That's great news!
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Haha, if you had wifi onboard, you could entertain us with a live-thread
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:11 am

That's great news!
Originally Posted by FFlash
Haha, if you had wifi onboard, you could entertain us with a live-thread
Indeed ba has decided none of that my ba flight to ARN delayed and will miss my AY virgin flight 😀 Now going on ba direct at 1820... So CCR for a few more hours

I was on separate tickets but the lady was able to do the impossible as were houston checked bags all the way to HEL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.