Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Official policy as it was published in 2017. My bolding to direct readers to the most commonly asked part. Do note wording 'allow'.

THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Finnair takes care of passenger’s through check-in in all cases where the passenger has an agreement of carriage with Finnair and the through check-in is technically possible and is according to local instructions. This agreement of carriage requires that the passenger holds a Passenger Ticket and Baggage Check, or an electronic ticket, as defined in the Conditions of Carriage and issued by Finnair or on its behalf.
Passenger’s flight reservation (PNR) and flight ticket (single agreement with specific airline) are not always the same thing. Each ticket with different ticket number is an independent agreement of carriage with the ticketed air carrier. It is not possible to through check either passenger or baggage between separate flight tickets even if they are in the same PNR. Check-in is possible only to the final destination on each individual agreement of carriage (= flight ticket).
It’s important to remember that MCT (Minimum Connection Time) at each airport is based on the assumption that flights are booked on the same ticket and this way passenger and baggage may be through checked to the final destination. In case flights are on separate tickets, passenger has to collect baggage and recheck on the connecting flight at the transfer station thus MCT is no longer valid. Passenger shall be informed already at the time of reservation that check-in can be done only as far as Finnair has a contract of carriage with the passenger.

FINNAIR THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Passenger and baggage shall be through checked to the final destination as indicated by the flight ticket, provided it constitutes one single agreement of carriage with Finnair. Finnair will provide through check-in for a journey ticketed in a single PNR; this includes segments ticketed separately but booked in the same PNR (and/or referenced in a single PNR during the time of booking).

In addition to the basic rule Finnair will allow through check-in of customer and baggage with separate tickets on separate PNRs on AY–AY (including AY franchising flights operated by Norra) connections when the transfer is within the Minimum Connection Time (MCT). For AY–AY connection flights on the separate PNRs have to be both marketed and operated by Finnair or Norra and flights ticketed on the 105-stock. The agent shall always inform the customer of the destination where the customer and his or her baggage are checked-in to.
Print Wikipost

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:50 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
I doubt that a baggage tag can have a destination twice. But someone can also prove me wrong.

I'd ask to short check it to HEL, take it there and deposit it landside in a locker. Then there is no prob with HEL - ARN - HEL.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by HJP
So is it clear that same plane turnarounds with separate tickets (AY-AY) can be done without any additional hassle? Travelling with checked bags.

Looking for some flights to Asia and HEL-ARN-HEL-Asia could be our choice if separate PNRs won´t add any unnecessary stress.
IMO this would work only if you take the next flight out of ARN, no turnaround - because of the checked baggage. At ARN you'd need to get you bags, go to the checkin desk (probably already closed) and check you bags again. If you take the following flight it's well doable.

Also beware - ARN is such a high frequency for AY, that (AFAIK) it's not necesserily turnaround, ie it's not the same bird flying the return leg. If that's correct, than you can easily miss the return flight in case of irrop.

Why don't you just take a long stopover in HEL, so you can do the HEL-ARN-HEL with just a Helsingin Sanomat in hand and check you luggage in at HEL on the day of your longhaul flight?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:36 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
I remember intuition told us having done this with PRG (?) and I'm thinking the baggage was lost that day. Can you confirm, intuition?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:40 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by HJP
So is it clear that same plane turnarounds with separate tickets (AY-AY) can be done without any additional hassle? Travelling with checked bags.

Looking for some flights to Asia and HEL-ARN-HEL-Asia could be our choice if separate PNRs won´t add any unnecessary stress.
By the new rule/stupidity this is a interlining that is OK, as long as you are within the MCT of online T2-T2 ARN connection (which seems to be 30 minutes).
Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at ARN
Incoming airline AY
Outgoing airline AY
Flight type International to International

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE    .20  1.00  1.00  1.00
OFFLINE   .20  1.00  1.00  1.00
** OR * ARE ALL
**-** II   .30 TRM 2  - 2  
**-** II  1.00 TRM 3  - 2  
**-** II  1.00 TRM 4  - 2  
**-** II  1.00 TRM 5  - 2  
**-** II  1.00 TRM TN - 2  
**-** II  1.00 TRM TX - 2  
**-** II  1.00 TRM 2  - 3  
**-** II  1.00 TRM 3  - 3  
**-** II  1.00 TRM 4  - 3  
**-** II  1.00 TRM 5  - 3  
**-** II  1.00 TRM TN - 3  
**-** II  1.00 TRM TX - 3  
**-** II  1.00 TRM TN - 4  
**-** II   .35 TRM 5  - 5  
**-** II  1.00 TRM 2  - TN 
**-** II  1.00 TRM 3  - TN 
**-** II  1.00 TRM 4  - TN 
**-** II  1.00 TRM 5  - TN

Originally Posted by lkrt
I remember intuition told us having done this with PRG (?) and I'm thinking the baggage was lost that day. Can you confirm, intuition?
Indeed.

In personal experience AY-to-AY interline on turn-around flights does not work.

I've had AY tag a bag CPH-HEL-PRG-HEL-HKG and the check-in agent had to work pretty hard to make it stick. Bag did not make it, arrived in HKG only hours before I was returning to HEL, 3 or 4 days later.

Last edited by intuition; Aug 22, 2016 at 4:51 am
Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:47 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Jainzar
I'd ask to short check it to HEL, take it there and deposit it landside in a locker. Then there is no prob with HEL - ARN - HEL.
I think OP is originating HEL, so that wouldn't work. If not, then it might work but short-checking is very confusing to most agents, so one needs to be eloquent to succeed.

One solution would be to only check-in for HEL-ARN and for ARN-HEL and leave HEL-Asia not checked in. Then go landside in HEL and checkin the bags.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:46 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Why don't you just take a long stopover in HEL, so you can do the HEL-ARN-HEL with just a Helsingin Sanomat in hand and check you luggage in at HEL on the day of your longhaul flight?
This is maybe the best solution - travelling with my better half so i want to keep it as simple as possible. Of course this is not possible on all dates that we are looking for without additional price.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: AY+ Plat
About a month a go i did HEL-BUD-HEL-BKK - HKG-HEL-BUD-HEL. The positioning HEL-BUD-HEL was on a separate ticket and both BUD's were same plane turnarounds.

At HEL the check-in agent short checked my bag to BKK without any hassle.

Coming back from BKK I asked the CX agent to check my bag only HEL (where I would pick it up and store it in the lockers downstairs at T2). And again there seemed to be no apparent issue in short checking.

So for this on trip my luggage logistics worked perfectly. Obviously maybe I was just lucky. I think i'll just have to try again some crazy-enough itinerary on my next trip.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:32 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by Matkalainen
About a month a go i did HEL-BUD-HEL-BKK - HKG-HEL-BUD-HEL. The positioning HEL-BUD-HEL was on a separate ticket and both BUD's were same plane turnarounds.
Actually HEL-BUD-HEL-Asia roundtrip looks now better, because January BUD-HEL-BKK flights have the same price during weekend while ARN-BKK has a good price only between Mon-Thu. And we could make a christmas market-weekend trip to BUD as positioning. On the inbound from BKK there is a possibility to choose a following day HEL-BUD, so we could short check the bags and go home before that. Then the following day just a quick HEL-BUD-HEL with a basket full of newspapers.

Total price 1800€ including positioning. What is the lowest normal sale price for BUD-HEL-BKK rt in J?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
BUD is usually a very good starting point along with WAW and PRG. Same plane turnaround is easy at all three. ARN might or might not be, but it's more convenient (more and shorter flights)

If memory serves right, I normally buy BUD-HEL-BKK in J for about 1,6k (+ the positioning if needed - though hardly ever, as the previous longhaul's final leg is often my positioning flight ), so 1,8k€ all in sounds just about right.

Originally Posted by HJP
This is maybe the best solution - travelling with my better half so i want to keep it as simple as possible.
Trust me, you want to keep it simple A turnaround to ARN is already stressful for the uninitiated (but acceptable, if you present the financial advantages) Throw in possible issues with your checked luggage - you'll hear about it during you holiday...
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger

Trust me, you want to keep it simple A turnaround to ARN is already stressful for the uninitiated (but acceptable, if you present the financial advantages) Throw in possible issues with your checked luggage - you'll hear about it during you holiday...
Agreed, BUD is much more convenient.
Always same plane turnaround and scheduled turnaround is ~1 hour where ARN is just 35 mins. Throw in a fairly low-priced taxfree if you wish and an extra 6000+ tier points.
On the other hand by booking a weekend layover or even 1 night in BUD (multicity booking) you would make your life easier when travelling with better half.

Last edited by ff_flyer; Aug 22, 2016 at 1:48 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:24 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Originally Posted by dera
Tried today, AY wouldn't interline to anyone else, only AY AY they say is allowed.
Has someone heard anything official about this?

Is interlining still possibile for separate tickets when both of them are marketed and operated by AY/Norra?

Last edited by Justinus; Sep 19, 2016 at 12:02 am
Old Sep 17, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
I have done AY-AY on a few occasions with no issue. Really terrible policy that actively prevents me for some OW bookings that now go to Star Alliance (or occasionally SkyTeam even!).
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:04 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Originally Posted by skba1
Really terrible policy that actively prevents me for some OW bookings that now go to Star Alliance (or occasionally SkyTeam even!).
This is truly the worst decision OW has done during the past years! They should allow interlining at least for F and J tickets, OWEs and OWSs!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 1:00 am
Moderator, Finnair

One really wonders what the drive for this was.

Was it bean counting? Someone analysed lost luggage and found out a (disproportionate ?) number of bags was lost under 2 PNRs and decided to dis-allow it?

BUT;
a) IF these bags were accepted with connections below MCT, then this was a check-in problem, not a policy problem. The proper solution would be to make sure bags on 2 PNRs only was accepted after checking MCT.
b) If accepted above MCT, then why on earth would these bags suddenly generate more lost bags than 1 PNR bags?! That is simply nonsensical.

And if it wasn't bean counting, was it plain management ignorance? One manager starting to question why he should have to foot the bill for a lost bag when it was "lost on another airline"? Not understanding why the alliance decided to offer the check-to-final-destination in the first place?
Or was it perhaps a shrewd move by one of the larger airlines, counting on a worsening of the alliance would force people to book with a single airline and that that would benefit the one with largest network?

Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
One really wonders what the drive for this was.

Was it bean counting? Someone analysed lost luggage and found out a (disproportionate ?) number of bags was lost under 2 PNRs and decided to dis-allow it?

BUT;
a) IF these bags were accepted with connections below MCT, then this was a check-in problem, not a policy problem. The proper solution would be to make sure bags on 2 PNRs only was accepted after checking MCT.
b) If accepted above MCT, then why on earth would these bags suddenly generate more lost bags than 1 PNR bags?! That is simply nonsensical.

And if it wasn't bean counting, was it plain management ignorance? One manager starting to question why he should have to foot the bill for a lost bag when it was "lost on another airline"? Not understanding why the alliance decided to offer the check-to-final-destination in the first place?
Or was it perhaps a shrewd move by one of the larger airlines, counting on a worsening of the alliance would force people to book with a single airline and that that would benefit the one with largest network?
The first I read of this policy change was on the BA forum on here, and with the consistent cuts being made over at BA, it wouldn't surprise me if BA started it. It's not as if our speculation gives credence to your theory, but connecting the visible dots certainly seems to support it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.