Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Official policy as it was published in 2017. My bolding to direct readers to the most commonly asked part. Do note wording 'allow'.

THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Finnair takes care of passenger’s through check-in in all cases where the passenger has an agreement of carriage with Finnair and the through check-in is technically possible and is according to local instructions. This agreement of carriage requires that the passenger holds a Passenger Ticket and Baggage Check, or an electronic ticket, as defined in the Conditions of Carriage and issued by Finnair or on its behalf.
Passenger’s flight reservation (PNR) and flight ticket (single agreement with specific airline) are not always the same thing. Each ticket with different ticket number is an independent agreement of carriage with the ticketed air carrier. It is not possible to through check either passenger or baggage between separate flight tickets even if they are in the same PNR. Check-in is possible only to the final destination on each individual agreement of carriage (= flight ticket).
It’s important to remember that MCT (Minimum Connection Time) at each airport is based on the assumption that flights are booked on the same ticket and this way passenger and baggage may be through checked to the final destination. In case flights are on separate tickets, passenger has to collect baggage and recheck on the connecting flight at the transfer station thus MCT is no longer valid. Passenger shall be informed already at the time of reservation that check-in can be done only as far as Finnair has a contract of carriage with the passenger.

FINNAIR THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Passenger and baggage shall be through checked to the final destination as indicated by the flight ticket, provided it constitutes one single agreement of carriage with Finnair. Finnair will provide through check-in for a journey ticketed in a single PNR; this includes segments ticketed separately but booked in the same PNR (and/or referenced in a single PNR during the time of booking).

In addition to the basic rule Finnair will allow through check-in of customer and baggage with separate tickets on separate PNRs on AY–AY (including AY franchising flights operated by Norra) connections when the transfer is within the Minimum Connection Time (MCT). For AY–AY connection flights on the separate PNRs have to be both marketed and operated by Finnair or Norra and flights ticketed on the 105-stock. The agent shall always inform the customer of the destination where the customer and his or her baggage are checked-in to.
Print Wikipost

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
LAX-ARN-HEL no problem today.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 1:51 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Once tried through checkin baggages with the following separate AY-tickets: HEL-ARN and ARN-HEL-SIN. Finnair's checkin would not check the baggages through. Has anyone managed to make through checkin for baggage with similar (HEL-XXX and XXX-HEL-YYY) routing?
Old Feb 23, 2023, 2:02 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by mikrobitti
Once tried through checkin baggages with the following separate AY-tickets: HEL-ARN and ARN-HEL-SIN. Finnair's checkin would not check the baggages through. Has anyone managed to make through checkin for baggage with similar (HEL-XXX and XXX-HEL-YYY) routing?
If you're flying HEL-ARN-HEL back to back (or on the same day), then you need to only check in the luggage for the HEL-SIN flight, which is no issue for AY.

Last week, though, got a call from RIX airport where I was starting my RIX-HEL-HKG trip. The lady said they are "very worried with my ticket since it seems that I have already checked in baggage but they have not seen me at the check-in desk". After explaining her the plan, she just laughed and repeated that they were very worried I would be trying to skip RIX-HEL.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by lkrt
If you're flying HEL-ARN-HEL back to back (or on the same day), then you need to only check in the luggage for the HEL-SIN flight, which is no issue for AY.

Last week, though, got a call from RIX airport where I was starting my RIX-HEL-HKG trip. The lady said they are "very worried with my ticket since it seems that I have already checked in baggage but they have not seen me at the check-in desk". After explaining her the plan, she just laughed and repeated that they were very worried I would be trying to skip RIX-HEL.
Great, thanks. I'm also making HEL-RIX & RIX-HEL-HKG-BKK soon. I'll try to check my baggage to HEL-HKG-BKK before taking the HEL-RIX-HEL.
SPBanker and FFlash like this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 3:24 am

Great, thanks. I'm also making HEL-RIX & RIX-HEL-HKG-BKK soon. I'll try to check my baggage to HEL-HKG-BKK before taking the HEL-RIX-HEL.
I was also continuing from HKG to SIN on CX and absolutely no trouble checking in all the way! Have a nice trip!
mikrobitti likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 7:09 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
nostalgic handle there😎👍
welcome here
mikrobitti likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 2:34 pm

Welcome to FT! Mind if I ask you a question that is not very FTesque, as here it is quite customary to build itiniraries like yours? But I feel exhausted after one longhaul flight, even without connections. I used to book similar itineraries in the past, when I could overnight at HEL and sleep in my own bed and was fresh to fly to my destination the next day. But now AY.com rarely allows such bookings, sadly.

Earlier this week, I flew HEL-BKK in J and as I could not sleep much on the plane, I was very tired when I finally reached my hotel. So my question to you: How do you feel after a HEL-RIX-HEL-HKG-BKK flight? Are you able to sleep easily on the longhauls?
Old Feb 23, 2023, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005
So my question to you: How do you feel after a HEL-RIX-HEL-HKG-BKK flight? Are you able to sleep easily on the longhauls?
I can sleep on the plane, at least in J (business?). I like flying, i.e. being on airplane. I don't get to fly too often. If I fly alone, connecting routes are not mentally exhausting for me and physically even less. I also don't mind airports as long as I have lounge access or other somewhat quiet place without people running around in a hurry. Typically I feel, that my vacation starts when I get to HEL and ends when I return to HEL. I try to enjoy the time between as much as I can.
ffay005, florens, SPBanker and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 2:05 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Through-check on 2 tickets

If I have an AY booking on one ticket and then CX on a separate ticket, will AY check bags all the way through or will they definitely refuse?
Old Jun 26, 2023, 2:29 am

No through check in your case.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 11:08 pm
a_k

Programs: AY+ Plat
Originally Posted by lkrt

How does this work? If I understand the itineraries were booked separately as HEL-RIX and RIX-HEL-HKG. At HEL, you just visited a check-in desk, checked-in for both itineraries, but asked them to skip sending luggage HEL-RIX and just send it straight HEL-HKG? Did not know that was possible, if that's indeed the case.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by a_k
How does this work? If I understand the itineraries were booked separately as HEL-RIX and RIX-HEL-HKG. At HEL, you just visited a check-in desk, checked-in for both itineraries, but asked them to skip sending luggage HEL-RIX and just send it straight HEL-HKG? Did not know that was possible, if that's indeed the case.
very possible to do so. I ALLWAYS check my bag in just from HEL to final destination even if my trip starts in TLL ARN OSL etc why take the risk of it getting stuck/lost
Old Jun 27, 2023, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by a_k
Well, there is no point in "checking in" at a desk for a HEL-RIX flight with no baggage. Simply told them I was going to do a HEL-RIX-HEL prior to taking the HEL-HKG flight and asked them to just check in the baggage for the HEL-HKG portion, which is fine by them.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 11:34 pm
a_k

Programs: AY+ Plat
Originally Posted by kauppias
very possible to do so. I ALLWAYS check my bag in just from HEL to final destination even if my trip starts in TLL ARN OSL etc why take the risk of it getting stuck/lost
Didn't know they would allow this I thought they only would allow baggage to be checked in from the initial departure point! Good to know for the future, although these types are a bit more challenging if travelling first domestically...
Old Jun 29, 2023, 10:05 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kauppias
I suppose someone might have a generous allowance for necessities in their travel insurance.

E.g. one hour layovers in CDG with checked are a surefire way to renew one's wardrobe.
r2d2, ffay005, clifford79 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.