Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Official policy as it was published in 2017. My bolding to direct readers to the most commonly asked part. Do note wording 'allow'.

THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Finnair takes care of passenger’s through check-in in all cases where the passenger has an agreement of carriage with Finnair and the through check-in is technically possible and is according to local instructions. This agreement of carriage requires that the passenger holds a Passenger Ticket and Baggage Check, or an electronic ticket, as defined in the Conditions of Carriage and issued by Finnair or on its behalf.
Passenger’s flight reservation (PNR) and flight ticket (single agreement with specific airline) are not always the same thing. Each ticket with different ticket number is an independent agreement of carriage with the ticketed air carrier. It is not possible to through check either passenger or baggage between separate flight tickets even if they are in the same PNR. Check-in is possible only to the final destination on each individual agreement of carriage (= flight ticket).
It’s important to remember that MCT (Minimum Connection Time) at each airport is based on the assumption that flights are booked on the same ticket and this way passenger and baggage may be through checked to the final destination. In case flights are on separate tickets, passenger has to collect baggage and recheck on the connecting flight at the transfer station thus MCT is no longer valid. Passenger shall be informed already at the time of reservation that check-in can be done only as far as Finnair has a contract of carriage with the passenger.

FINNAIR THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Passenger and baggage shall be through checked to the final destination as indicated by the flight ticket, provided it constitutes one single agreement of carriage with Finnair. Finnair will provide through check-in for a journey ticketed in a single PNR; this includes segments ticketed separately but booked in the same PNR (and/or referenced in a single PNR during the time of booking).

In addition to the basic rule Finnair will allow through check-in of customer and baggage with separate tickets on separate PNRs on AY–AY (including AY franchising flights operated by Norra) connections when the transfer is within the Minimum Connection Time (MCT). For AY–AY connection flights on the separate PNRs have to be both marketed and operated by Finnair or Norra and flights ticketed on the 105-stock. The agent shall always inform the customer of the destination where the customer and his or her baggage are checked-in to.
Print Wikipost

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:04 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
AY issued? I believe it is enough if flights are AY operated and with AY flight numbers. Shouldn't matter who issued the ticket.
temppa, lkrt and fragrantharbour like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:19 am

So if I want to fly LHR-HEL and then HEL-BKK on separate award tickets booked through BA then I can be through checked? Both have AY numbers. Save about $82 in taxes and every cent counts!
Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by James91
So if I want to fly LHR-HEL and then HEL-BKK on separate award tickets booked through BA then I can be through checked? Both have AY numbers. Save about $82 in taxes and every cent counts!
For $82 I'd book the same ticket. Will be more than $82 if you have an IRROP and miss your connection thus forcing you to buy new tickets. I would not be traveling at all if $82 is an amount I need to worry about.
r2d2, esledo, James91 and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Warning to anyone with separate tickets:

My sister and her husband were flying yesterday HEL-ARN and ARN-JFK on separate tickets. At HEL priority check-in desk they were unable (?) to through check their luggage all the way to JFK, so they had to collect them in ARN and check them in again. They had plenty enough time, so it was not a huge problem, but with a short connection is could have been an issue. On the return leg, they have two hours at ARN, so that could become an interesting ride... Obviously, tickets were AY issued and in AY stock, and flights under AY code, so seemingly all good.

They have been told the following:

The two tickets were bought at different times, so that is why it is not possible to through check the suitcase all the way to the final destination
Apparently, three different agents have tried to do it, but they could not (MCT was more than met). Not sure if this is a recent policy change (in May it was possible to through check a suitcase on ARN-HEL + HEL-BER route, between separate AY tickets), or simply incompetence of the check-in agents.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 12:20 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
"at different times" sounds like höpö, or do they actually mean they could have done it with 2 different tickets issued at the same time??

Anyway, if this is a (yet another) systematic change in capabilities it has zero upside for the airline. It just harms customer and their own business.So Finnair shorthaul does not interline with Finnair long haul... I guess the solution is to fly with a interline partner on the connecting flight.
ffay005 and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 12:47 am

I have an upcoming LAX-ARN-HEL on separate tickets and will need to check a bag. I had counted on them being able to check it through to HEL. We’ll see.

How quick is ARN baggage delivery these days?
Old Jul 25, 2022, 1:01 am

Programs: Finnair plat
Saturday, I had no problem - AY from DFW - HEL and HEL - CPH on 2 tickets
ffay005, Steve_Hun and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:02 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Flying HEL-SIN-KUL and back next month with HEL-SIN-HEL being AY and SIN-KUL MH and the return with SQ. Anyone know if the luggage will be checked through or not? Originally booked these on Finnair website as a single ticket with AY flight numbers and MH operated connections, but both of the SIN-KUL-SIN connections got cancelled and re-ticketed. Called AY and they changed the flights to MH610 for SIN-KUL and as there were no other options, SQ121 for KUL-SIN. This exact itinerary is currently sold for this route but those flights are all equipped with AY flight numbers(connections still operated by MH and SQ). Every flight seems to be on separate segments under the same booking which could create some issues?

Edit: Currently the connections on the ticket are both operated and marketed by MH and SQ respectively(no AY flight numbers).

Last edited by LentajanPoika; Jul 25, 2022 at 4:07 am Reason: Additional information
Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:19 am

Baggage should work as everything is on one ticket. Boarding passes might not work but you don’t need to go landside at SIN to get a BP.

SIN can be strict. If you don’t meet their (covid) entry requirements, you cannot recheck your bag at SIN.
LentajanPoika likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:35 am

Programs: AY+Plat
No experience with MH but there has been no problem in checking through luggage with MI, 3K, VN in the past and recently also on SQ.
Boarding pass had to be picked for return leg at SIN airside transfer lounge C. Person responsible for AY wil be there only about 3 hour before flight (in case you have long layover). Luckily, Quantas lounge let me in without BP.
LentajanPoika and MongTrav like this.

Last edited by lento; Jul 25, 2022 at 4:49 am
Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
I have an upcoming LAX-ARN-HEL on separate tickets and will need to check a bag. I had counted on them being able to check it through to HEL. We’ll see.

How quick is ARN baggage delivery these days?
Let us know how it goes!
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:39 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ffay005
Baggage should work as everything is on one ticket. Boarding passes might not work but you don’t need to go landside at SIN to get a BP.

SIN can be strict. If you don’t meet their (covid) entry requirements, you cannot recheck your bag at SIN.
Originally Posted by lento
No experience with MH but there has been no problem in checking through luggage with MI, 3K, VN in the past and recently also on SQ.
Boarding pass had to be picked for return leg at SIN airside transfer lounge C. Person responsible for AY wil be there only about 3 hour before flight (in case you have long layover). Luckily, Quantas lounge let me in without BP.
Thanks for the swift responses, hopefully AY, MH and SQ won’t give me too much trouble. My connection time is 2h on the return leg and the last thing I want to do is sprint through baggage claim, check-in and security to make my connection. Oh well, remains to be seen😅
Old Jul 25, 2022, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by mikeecix
So I just flew MIA-JFK-HEL-LHR and managed to get my bag checked through to LHR even though the last leg was on a separate ticket.

Initially the check-in agent said it wasn't possible but then her supervisor came across and showed her how to do it. I think what helped was that I was using the AA First-Class check-in area (as a Plat/OW Emerald) so no queues and a more "personalised" service.....not sure they would have spent so much time on me if I was at a regular check-in desk and didn't have status as the process took about 10 minutes to complete. Both the agent and her supervisor said they used to be able to check bags through on separate tickets but it was no longer allowed. I did highlight (in a very nice way!) that Finnair Platinum customer service had said for me to request this at check-in and I also said the connecting flights were both AY-operated, on 105 ticket stock and the connection time was several hours. At the end of the process, the agent thanked her supervisor and said she'd learnt something new!

So all worked well in the end although I would not be 100% confident of repeating this success in future....I think it really does depend on how knowledgable the agents/supervisors are and also having status.
So not sure if anything has changed since my previous posting a while ago but my view at the time was that it was down to the experience of the agent rather than any technical limitation which determined whether my bags could be tagged through on separate tickets. The supervisor knew how to do it and the agent actaully said she learnt something new that day after being shown. Unless there has been a system change, I think it really is luck as to whether it will work on the day. I'm flying tomorrow and although I'm not on separate tickets, I will see if the supervisor can explain in simple terms what they did to check my bags through last time and then post back here some "instructions" in case it will help others explain to agents who are unfamiliar.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Warning to anyone with separate tickets:

My sister and her husband were flying yesterday HEL-ARN and ARN-JFK on separate tickets. At HEL priority check-in desk they were unable (?) to through check their luggage all the way to JFK, so they had to collect them in ARN and check them in again. They had plenty enough time, so it was not a huge problem, but with a short connection is could have been an issue. On the return leg, they have two hours at ARN, so that could become an interesting ride... Obviously, tickets were AY issued and in AY stock, and flights under AY code, so seemingly all good.

They have been told the following:

Apparently, three different agents have tried to do it, but they could not (MCT was more than met). Not sure if this is a recent policy change (in May it was possible to through check a suitcase on ARN-HEL + HEL-BER route, between separate AY tickets), or simply incompetence of the check-in agents.
For what its worth's, it was not a problem at JFK now on their return flight to check the suitcase JFK-ARN & ARN-HEL. So it seems that it was purely incompetence on staffs' side at HEL priority check-in desk...
ffay005 and Purjelentaja like this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: AY plat / OWE
Originally Posted by lento
That's quite valid information about getting AY BP at SIN airside. Thank you as Finnair haven't been able to tell details!
Did you try Transfer lounge D if it have same service for Finnair by they ground service Dnata?
3h is same as Check In starting time at landside which restricts lounge time if QF or BA deny entry into lounge without BP.
Did you try entry into regular AY lounge in SIN operated by Dnata ("Marhaba" or something like that)?
And what was your trick to convince staff allow you to entry QF lounge? Showed card/electronic card and itenary from application or something else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.