Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Chicago flights [and Chicago lounges]

Old May 16, 2016, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold

Hi - was wondering whether anyone knew how the HEL - ORD flight loads are like - I think this is quite a new service and was wondering the likelihood of it coming back next summer. Also, in looking at this years dates - the flights seem to be more expensive than going to JFK, is that usual or just because I am looking closer to the time? thanks
Old May 16, 2016, 10:05 pm

IIRC HEL-ORD has been a frequent summer route for quite some years already. Initially by AA but nowadays by AY. I flew it some years ago and it was a packed flight.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:35 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
The Swissport lounge Finnair is using at ORD was packed on last Friday. The passengers were mainly from other than Finnair flights. Even though there was basically no seating available the Dragons were happily accepting new guests. The food and drinks served are not good quality.

If you arrive early and based on your OW status are able to use either the BA C or F lounge I would recommend that. However the BA lounges close by the time they board the last BA flight departing at 8.35pm.

When I went to the BA F lounge the Dragon first declined access for me as a Finnair passenger. When I said that I have access as an OWE, the Dragon stated that the lounge was full. I did point out that it is half empty. Then she said that my flight is late and they will close soon (it was still open for +45min). After I said that I know that they will close the Dragon let me in.

Lounge is relatively small. The food servings was good quality and they serve a good selection of drinks including champagne.
Old May 27, 2016, 2:33 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Also AA Flagship Lounge in ORD is pretty nice.
Old May 27, 2016, 2:47 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Also AA Flagship Lounge in ORD is pretty nice.
...but AA lounges are in T3, and AY departs from T5.

I have a long-ish layover in ORD on Saturday before AY10, I think we will skip hanging in the lounge based on above comments.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by HJP
...but AA lounges are in T3, and AY departs from T5.

I have a long-ish layover in ORD on Saturday before AY10, I think we will skip hanging in the lounge based on above comments.
The lounge sucks. (actually all T5 lounges suck)

Don't bother. Get a sandwich at Tortas Frontera.
Old May 27, 2016, 1:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
The lounge sucks. (actually all T5 lounges suck)

Don't bother. Get a sandwich at Tortas Frontera.
Anyone know anything about the Air France/KLM Lounge there? (It's on Priority Pass.) Do they exclude people in the evening based on capacity?
Old May 27, 2016, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Thanks for the responses, but would be great if it could address the question I asked
Old May 27, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: AY Gold
What I've heard their ORD service is doing fine, looks very likely it will return next summer.

No surprise NYC flights are cheaper, that's how it usually is ex-HEL (ex-Europe generally?), summer being the high season naturally. The AA/AY/BA/IB joint venture often gives the best prices.
Old May 28, 2016, 3:30 am

Programs: Viking Club Member, K-Plussa Paras asiakas
Originally Posted by Aviating

When I went to the BA F lounge the Dragon first declined access for me as a Finnair passenger. When I said that I have access as an OWE, the Dragon stated that the lounge was full. I did point out that it is half empty. Then she said that my flight is late and they will close soon (it was still open for +45min). After I said that I know that they will close the Dragon let me in.
I was rejected entry to the same lounge with the basis of "we dont have a contract with AY, this lounge is not for AY pax". Can they actually do this in a lounge sporting an OWE symbol on the door? After pointing at the same symbol on the door and on my card, and hinting at the possibility of gross violation of OW rules, the Dragon refused to give in.

To clarify, AY Plat holding BP for AY10 sold as AA
Old May 28, 2016, 3:26 pm
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by wtcmor
Thanks for the responses, but would be great if it could address the question I asked
I'll be on AY10 today, and OLCI indicates 24 unallocated Y seats 5.5hrs before departure.

I think we will try BA Terraces (C Lounge). Let's see if they try to deny access based on AY using Swissport lounge.

EDIT: No luck at BA terraces:
- all BA flights oversold and lounge packed
- lounge closes early (ok for us)
- AY doesn't pay them for visitors

I told that we would prefer BA lounge referring to OW rules. Dragon would have let me in, but didn't allow me to guest my travel companion (I am OWS).

Last edited by HJP; May 28, 2016 at 5:58 pm
Old May 29, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
I was on the ORD-HEL flight last Friday, May 27....an email from Finnair before checking in noted that the flight was oversold and that they may be looking for volunteers. I am not sure if they did try to bump anyone or not, I was in the very overcrowded Swissport lounge (not sure why! haha).
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:20 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Hi, we're taking this flight next week ORD-HEL. I tried to pick a meal and could not but called and they could assign one.

Only options both ways were Salmon, Chicken of vegetarian. I was hoping for a Reindeer option... I thought it was weird same meal selection both ways. Does this make sense?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Here's the menu that was sent to me on May 26th with the following message:

"Hi!

Please find the menu attached below.
It is possible that the menu changes before your flight in July so you should contact us later again, to check the situation.

I hope you have nice flight!

Best wishes

Finnair Customer Care"
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Menu+ORD-HEL.pdf (292.1 KB, 173 views)
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:50 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Here's the menu that was sent to me on May 26th with the following message:

"Hi!

Please find the menu attached below.
It is possible that the menu changes before your flight in July so you should contact us later again, to check the situation.

I hope you have nice flight!

Best wishes

Finnair Customer Care"
Thanks that is what is quoted but agent. I think vegetarian looks descent. Has anyone had it? I actually pre-ordered Salmon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.