Chinese 72h TWOV ex-HEL

Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by reflektia
I have couple experiences with arriving to China with airplane and departing with a ship. In Helsinki they are quite clueless both in check-in and at gate. However, I was able to convince them to let me board the airplane. In china there was zero issues. Vice versa everything works well, immigration in china ports knows about this and they don't care at the airport too much.
Interesting, for what airports does this work? And whats a ship and what routes are allowed? Is it allowed to fly into CAN and take a ferry to HKG?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by SAN_Finn
Interesting, for what airports does this work? And whats a ship and what routes are allowed? Is it allowed to fly into CAN and take a ferry to HKG?
I think the TWOW rules list certain permitted airports, harbours and railway stations. For example, arriving on AY from HEL to PEK and departing on a train to North Korea seems to be allowed.
Clydez likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:44 pm

As noted by Some Person, there is a list for allowed ports etc. I have only experience in Shanghai area.

Also you must have confirmed (printed) ticket for ship. I see no reason why connecting to ferry in CAN would not work.

Last edited by reflektia; Mar 27, 2019 at 9:42 pm
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't think so, but I'm not 100% positive.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:12 am

There is a full list in https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_China

Guangzhou port is not listed there.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
AFAIK only Shanghai International Cruise port is approved (and also Shanghai rwy station) so you can arrive by train fm HKG and move to your cruise ship (or the other way around).
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
AFAIK only Shanghai International Cruise port is approved (and also Shanghai rwy station) so you can arrive by train fm HKG and move to your cruise ship (or the other way around).
Tianjin is also approved.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:47 am

Also:
Shanghai Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal
Qinhuangdao Sea Port
Xiamen Sea Port
Qingdao Sea Port
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thx, an improvement!

I just wonder, if/when they''ll drop the pretend and will just allow 1 week visa free to current TWOV countries, without having to route via some other countries (so HEL-PVG-HEL could be doable instead of HEL-PVG-ICN-HEL)
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:41 pm

Thx, an improvement!

I just wonder, if/when they''ll drop the pretend and will just allow 1 week visa free to current TWOV countries, without having to route via some other countries (so HEL-PVG-HEL could be doable instead of HEL-PVG-ICN-HEL)
1. HEL-PVG-HEL is not transit
2. If you travel on a passport from Japan or ~4 more countries, you don't need a visa for short trips
3. TWOV was implemented in order to give people incentive to transit in China (instead of Japan/Korea/Singapore)
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:18 pm

This is actually quite interesting, as there are TWO shanghai international cruise ports, one near Bund and one in Boashan. I've no personal experience, but apparently both are approved for TWOV.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:24 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Thx, an improvement!

I think that will never happen. The privately owned visa service centra makes far to much money for certain comrades for that to ever pass legislation.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
1. HEL-PVG-HEL is not transit
2. If you travel on a passport from Japan or ~4 more countries, you don't need a visa for short trips
3. TWOV was implemented in order to give people incentive to transit in China (instead of Japan/Korea/Singapore)
1. I'm quite aware of that
2. It would take quite a bit of a work to make me Japanese citizen (btw I think it's more countries - e.g I have collegues with Serbian and Bosnian passports, they are also visa free)
3. Might be, but my totally uneducated guess would be that the majority uses TWOV as a way to visit China sans visa. And if you think about it - 144 hrs are basically a week, especially as the hours start ticking at 0:00 after the day of arrival. Who is "transiting" for a week? Clearly visa-free travel for all practical considerations, but for whatever reasons, keeping up the "transit" charade.
SPBanker likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Visa-free access to China is quite limited (beyond TWOV), yes. As for the Japanese citizenship, it's actually rather quickly obtainable if you live and work there, but Japan does not recognize dual citizenship.
moondog and SPBanker like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat, Hilton Honors Gold
Life would be easier if we had the 10-year visas (or at least five-year visas) that are now obtainable for US citizens.
remymartin likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.