AY051 and AY052 Business product

Old Feb 22, 16, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBD, IHG Spire, HH Diamond, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Platinum
AY051 and AY052 Business product

I'm a Finnair newbie. Mostly travel Star Alliance on business class or premium economy.

Mostly fly from Copenhagen to destinations in Asia and the US.

I'm considering Finnair business on the route CPH-HEL-PEK-HEL-CPH and I was told that there will be fully flat seats on the A340-300, on both the outbond and inbound flight (at least on the dates I will be traveling).

Two questions for the Finnair veterans:

1) How does the full flat seats on the A340-300 compare to the A350 full flat seats?

2) How does the full flat seats on the A340-300 compare to SAS' latest full flat seats?

Feedback is much appreciated!
Old Feb 22, 16, 8:48 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
I'm considering Finnair business on the route CPH-HEL-PEK-HEL-CPH and I was told that there will be fully flat seats on the A340-300, on both the outbond and inbound flight (at least on the dates I will be traveling).

1) How does the full flat seats on the A340-300 compare to the A350 full flat seats?
2) How does the full flat seats on the A340-300 compare to SAS' latest full flat seats?
I have liked the "old" AY full-flat seats, actually perhaps even more than the ones new A350s have, as the new Zodiacs feel a bit too cramped, and when travelling with someone, the new seats provide even too much privacy, making conversation with companion difficult. There's been alot of discussion on this forum about the seats, and which seats are the best ones, some find them good and some not so good. I belong to the former group.

I haven't flown with SK L/H for ages, so cannot compare, but I have had quite good sleeps on both, the A330/A340 and A350 seats.

There are reviews online about both, perhaps you can take a look: http://theluxurytravelexpert.com/201...k-to-helsinki/ and http://theluxurytravelexpert.com/201...ss-class-a350/. Yes, I know, some forum members don't like those reviews at all, but nevertheless... A330 and A340 have similar seats, apart from one aircraft that still has old angled-flat-seats (but that aircraft will prob be phased out in nearest months).
Old Feb 22, 16, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBD, IHG Spire, HH Diamond, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Platinum
Thanks very much Purjelentaja. Appreciate the insight!
Old Feb 22, 16, 6:26 pm

The seats on Finnair A340 and A330 are similar to the new SAS seat, but Finnair is a bit narrower, as they have one more seat per row. (SAS has the "Vantage XL" seat, whereas Finnair has the vormal "Vantage" seat, both manufactured by Thompson. The Finnair seat is actually the same one as used by Swiss and Austrian, among others.)

Further, SAS has invested quite nicely into a fancy trim of the seat, whereas Finnair has chosen the cheapest materials imaginable.

This said, the Finnair seat is still quite comfortable, especially if you are not too big and not too tall... If the price is good, it is worth a try. Food and service on Finnair is excellent, in my opinion.

Mind that one single A340 in the Finnair fleet still has angled-flat business class seats, and there is a slight possibility that you will end us in this plane.
Old Feb 23, 16, 1:38 am

Programs: anti-MaRiot SPG/IHG-P HH-D LeClub/CC-G, BA/A3-G DL/AY-P, Octopus
Is SK still serving the cheap sekt, or have they moved to champagne? That alone would swing me to AY.

One factor to consider - has SK rolled out new J to many planes yet? If not, you might end up in the old J...
Old Feb 23, 16, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks all

Originally Posted by remymartin View Post
Is SK still serving the cheap sekt, or have they moved to champagne? That alone would swing me to AY.

One factor to consider - has SK rolled out new J to many planes yet? If not, you might end up in the old J...
For as long as I have traveled SK long haul business (12 years), they have had Champagne. Different brands, but always Champagne.

Yes, SK has recently started upgrading the A340s to the new cabin. It is still hit and miss though.