FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   AY & KA interline (?) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1748044-ay-ka-interline.html)

WilcoRoger Feb 21, 16 8:20 am

AY & KA interline (?)

I'm off to CAN next week, HEL-HKG on AY and HKG-CAN on KA on separae tickets. Would AY check me and my luggage in at HEL? I have 3 hours in HKG, but I'd hate to go thru immigration and customs just to collect my stuff and check it in again and go thru immigration and customs within an hour.

If they can't I'll just pack everything into a small looking giant duffel and take it onboard.

To make things more interesting, I have no Chinese visa, as I'll use the 72-hrs TWOV system for the first time (arriving from HKG, leaving to BKK, so that should be OK)

db7 Feb 21, 16 10:19 am

Have had no problem either way BA-AY-KA from DUB to HGH or CAN via HEL and LHR. Only problem once from WUH when LHR-DUB was separate ticket more than 24hours in future.

WilcoRoger Feb 21, 16 12:09 pm

Thx, so I'll pack a suitcase - much more convenient

WilcoRoger Feb 23, 16 9:05 am

Just an update - tell at the checkin, that you have a separate ticket on Cathay (Dragonair), then they can check you and the luggage thru. Before I said "Cathay" the agent already started to say that I'll need to do everything in HKG, but upon hearing "Cathay" everything went nicely.

I did a bit of lounge hopping, what can I say - avoid G16. The Cathay F lounge at Gate 1 is nice but weird with all the black glass everywhere. If you can, keep to the normal F lounge with the footmassage service (I can't remember the name, either Pier or Wing)

I you plan to visit China on TWOV don't take a tight connection in HKG - the transfer desk ladies took 20 minutes to sort it all out.

On KA I got a bottle of water and was offered newspapers as OWE in Y

At CAN everything went easily - just have EVERYTHING printed out. Next flight e-ticket, hotel reservation at least. It took 2-3 minutes for the border guard (booth 19 - special lane!) to check everything and stamp my passport. Crazy - in China with no visa!

Lappe Feb 23, 16 9:36 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger (Post 26231460)

I did a bit of lounge hopping, what can I say - avoid G16. The Cathay F lounge at Gate 1 is nice but weird with all the black glass everywhere. If you can, keep to the normal F lounge with the footmassage service (I can't remember the name, either Pier or Wing)

Wing is near gate 1 (or left right after South Security). Nice if you want a cabana and bath. Pier is at Gate 63 and considered the best lounge by wide margin.

SPBanker Feb 23, 16 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Lappe (Post 26231606)
Wing is near gate 1 (or left right after South Security). Nice if you want a cabana and bath. Pier is at Gate 63 and considered the best lounge by wide margin.

Yes, IMO it is the best OW lounge in HKG by wide margin. Also the newest.

WilcoRoger Feb 23, 16 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Lappe (Post 26231606)

Yes, I was thinking at the Pier - beats most everything I've been to.

intuition Mar 28, 16 2:20 am

So I changed my SOP and went to the pier today. I must agree, the lounge design is much better than the wing. I just arrived, but I can already tell that it has a way more cosy and relaxed feel and yet not very dark (despite the location "below deck".

I do notice one thing that is worse than the wing though. In the wing, you are asked for a drink within minutes of your arrival. Upon arriving in the pier there were plenty of seats free in the library section, but not a single one that was cleared from the previous "resident". Perhaps I arrived right after a rush, but now 10 minutes later that one lady is still moving around in slow motion, clearing plates.

Also, there is more piss on the wash-room floor... Perhaps also a rush-thing, but I percieve the wing as being better staffed keeping stuff AOK in the never ending battle with the filthy passengers...

PS
To keep this thread somewhat on topic, I can also report that my CX check in agent interlined my bags from CX to SK on separate tickets, without moving a muscle.

Steve_Hun Mar 30, 16 1:29 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 26397169)
So I changed my SOP and went to the pier today. I must agree, the lounge design is much better than the wing. I just arrived, but I can already tell that it has a way more cosy and relaxed feel and yet not very dark (despite the location "below deck".

I do notice one thing that is worse than the wing though. In the wing, you are asked for a drink within minutes of your arrival. Upon arriving in the pier there were plenty of seats free in the library section, but not a single one that was cleared from the previous "resident". Perhaps I arrived right after a rush, but now 10 minutes later that one lady is still moving around in slow motion, clearing plates.

Also, there is more piss on the wash-room floor... Perhaps also a rush-thing, but I percieve the wing as being better staffed keeping stuff AOK in the never ending battle with the filthy passengers...

PS
To keep this thread somewhat on topic, I can also report that my CX check in agent interlined my bags from CX to SK on separate tickets, without moving a muscle.

Having just arrived back from my MR/holiday in SIN, I had the pleasure to visit some of the lounges in HKG. Went to The Wing and to The Bridge (no access for me to The Pier). I only had a very brief visit to the Wing, as it was about to close for the night, but from that I felt that I prefer the Bridge, which I've visited already on the way to SIN, so when 5:30 they've reopened, I went to the Bridge for shower & breakfast.

Lappe Mar 30, 16 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun (Post 26408019)
I only had a very brief visit to the Wing, as it was about to close for the night, but from that I felt that I prefer the Bridge, which I've visited already on the way to SIN, so when 5:30 they've reopened, I went to the Bridge for shower & breakfast.

The Wing First and Business class lounges are a world apart, but I have to agree that unless OWE or First, I'd g to the Bridge as well.