Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Reduced Business Class Service on certain longhauls

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Purjelentaja
Finnair offers only limited catering on some of their longhaul flights.

"BusinessLight" or "Midnight Menu" or limited catering means that the main meal consists of one tray only and no appetizer. Typically, the service includes a small green salad, a hot main course and cheeses. Additionally, ice cream will be offered along with coffee and tea.

This service concept applies to the following flights: (PLEASE ADD MORE FLIGHTS TO THE LIST!)
AY6 JFK-HEL (Note: hot midflight snack available on request; only cold breakfast available)
AY8 MIA-HEL
AY10 ORD-HEL
AY27 HEL-SGN
AY28 SGN-HEL
AY69 HEL-HKG (not actual BusinessLight, but Midnight menu-concept)
AY81 HEL-SIN (not actual BusinessLight, but Midnight menu-concept)
AY82 SIN-HEL (not actual BusinessLight, but Midnight menu-concept)
AY121 HEL-DEL

On other AY longhaul flights, the main meal service is more substantial and consists of an appetizer and/or soup, main meal, cheese and dessert.
Print Wikipost

Reduced Business Class Service on certain longhauls

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
Flew MIA-HEL recently. The flight turned out to be one of these so called light products. I expected that since the departure time is 10:55pm and in this case closer to midnight because of delay. Neither nuts, amuse bouche nor aperitif were served prior to dinner. When the dinner tray finally, more than an hour to the flight, arrived to the row 9 where I was seated I was so tired that I almost declined. On the other hand, I was so hungry that I forced myself to eat something. On the very messy tray, there were small salad and main course (from three options), plus bread for those who wanted. Menus weren't given since they had wrong menus onboard, we were told by the crew. The steak was surprisingly tasty. I didn't take any dessert but options would have been cheese, chocolate and ice cream. 1,5 hours prior to landing (afternoon local time), I received a breakfast tray that included salmon bagel, fruits and yoghurt. I slept most of the flight. My partner told me the snack bar included noodles, sandwiches, fruits, nuts, chips, and chocolate. (On the way to MIA, it was normal business class product but the snack bar was way more limited.)
Interesting, it seems that MIA-HEL catering concept has been changed since mid-July when I took this flight last time. At that time it was operated by HiFly (oh dear!), but at least the catering was still better than now.
Attached Images    
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:56 am

so I finished my Aurinkomatkat travel. Good thing is that you get 200% tier points for travel in J.

I didn't notice much differences between this business light concept and the service I get on the beijing route. the only things I noticed:
- no table cloth
- amuse bouche is nuts instead of something dry/warm.
- seems to be less boose in the back (no cognac on display).

in my opinion the differences between the two concepts are much less than the difference between Finnair and the other airlines. If you compare the two, yes you see differences. If you compare to other airlines, offerings is in both poor.

And actually, I don't get it. The food, drinks in J shouldn't make any difference to the cost structure of an airline. If that's where only you can create savings, you aare doing a bad job.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by casper79
so I finished my Aurinkomatkat travel. Good thing is that you get 200% tier points for travel in J.
What was the booking class after Aurinkomatkat upgraded your ticket?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
What was the booking class after Aurinkomatkat upgraded your ticket?
Booking class I
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:33 pm

Booking class I
Okay, thanx.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:20 pm

According the definition AY51 & AY52 should be considered business light. I'm just back from the trip and food was offered on a single tray.

AY 51 - HEL - PEK

AY 52 - PEK - HEL
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:00 am

AY 52 - PEK - HEL
Look at the main dish how small it is.

1/3 on left is something You cant eat and 2/3 beef and potatoes together is smaller or same size than portions in Y.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo

1/3 on left is something You cant eat and 2/3 beef and potatoes together is smaller or same size than portions in Y.
When we have our next DEL deli or similar, I'm brining canned tuna or nötkötti for the return leg.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:03 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cistavoda
When we have our next DEL deli or similar, I'm brining canned tuna or nötkötti for the return leg.
Great idea! "Can I have a glass of Merlot and a can opener to go with it, please"
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
According the definition AY51 & AY52 should be considered business light. I'm just back from the trip and food was offered on a single tray.
And PEK is one of the ancient legacy routes... If PEK isn't safe, then what route is? I wonder if AY aims at single-tray BusinessLight service on all their longhauls. Would be really sad.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:11 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
NRT the other week was dinner on tray, as seen in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...-a330-nrt.html.
Not full cantina style though, main course was added to tray at a later stage. So I'd say the tray itself is how it is done on moste/all routes now, even though it might be light service.
I'm wondering at what stage they decide there is no need to dress the table with linen as the tray itself has a cloth.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:17 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Originally Posted by cistavoda

Great idea! "Can I have a glass of Merlot and a can opener to go with it, please"
Meat-free monday is slowly being implemented!!
See how the same salad is on both the salad and the starter!

But no need for canned food, they will always carry hot water so I guess we can bring this
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:00 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005
And PEK is one of the ancient legacy routes... If PEK isn't safe, then what route is? I wonder if AY aims at single-tray BusinessLight service on all their longhauls. Would be really sad.
Could not agree more..
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ffay005
If PEK isn't safe, then what route is? I wonder if AY aims at single-tray BusinessLight service on all their longhauls. Would be really sad.
It is ridiculous enough that this expedited service is also on HEL-MIA which at over 10 hours is one of the longest "AY" routes and the schedule is not redeye or overnight flight per se, let alone PEK-HEL which is a day flight.

The reason given for starter and main served together was that people want to rest. Well, I did not as I wanted to adjust my body clock and go to sleep straight after arriving at MIA, so thanks a lot for the "Designed for you" rushed service.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by esledo
It is ridiculous enough that this expedited service is also on HEL-MIA which at over 10 hours is one of the longest "AY" routes and the schedule is not redeye or overnight flight per se, let alone PEK-HEL which is a day flight.

The reason given for starter and main served together was that people want to rest. Well, I did not as I wanted to adjust my body clock and go to sleep straight after arriving at MIA, so thanks a lot for the "Designed for you" rushed service.
I can somehow validate that argument on HEL - PEK which is a shortish route and does not leave that much time for rest/sleep outside of meal time and departure/arrival procedures.

But on daytime flights they should roll out the "Full Monty" and keep passengers entertained to a similar lever than the quality competition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.