Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

This is no way, AY - things to improve [feedback thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This is no way, AY - things to improve [feedback thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:12 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
LHR was, and still seems to be, very strict and they might want to weigh even the smallest of carry-ons.

Solution: do not go to the check-in desk at LHR. This is fortunately very easily avoided these days.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:36 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
May also depend who is in charge... There is a very grumpy older chap bossing around - usually by the gate, but many times also behind the check in counter. And a couple of evil ladies, but they can be avoided easily, as the previous poster stated.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TTL
May also depend who is in charge... There is a very grumpy older chap bossing around - usually by the gate, but many times also behind the check in counter. And a couple of evil ladies, but they can be avoided easily, as the previous poster stated.
The blonde lady is quite a PITA when it comes to weighing luggage, though I haven't seen her there for a while.

The other agents are more than friendly usually IME, we always exchange a few words in Finnish even.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:01 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I might be the only one, but I prefer that they do enforce their own regulation. If an employee (or hired staff) follows regulation, it is not called for to call them PITA.

Sure, sometimes the regulation is less than stellar for us, the travellers. Like AY allowing 2 carry-ons in Euro-J but setting a total limit of 10KG. But it is still better than having entitled light ticket holders cram their 60x50x30 20KG bags into the overhead of J cabin, eagerly assisted by "helpful" flight attendants.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by intuition
I might be the only one, but I prefer that they do enforce their own regulation. If an employee (or hired staff) follows regulation, it is not called for to call them PITA.

Sure, sometimes the regulation is less than stellar for us, the travellers. Like AY allowing 2 carry-ons in Euro-J but setting a total limit of 10KG. But it is still better than having entitled light ticket holders cram their 60x50x30 20KG bags into the overhead of J cabin, eagerly assisted by "helpful" flight attendants.

Just my 2 cents.
+1.

IMHO passengers not following the cabin baggage rules and especially gate agents allowing it to happen are PITA. On the other hand, I wouldn't be so concerned of the weight limit, but the number and dimensions of the cabin baggage people bring onboard.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Yes, I would love if gate agents would be more strict with the number and size of hand luggage, weight I find less important. I tend to sit with my hand luggage under the seat in front as priority boarding isn't enforced (in Oslo) and I don't want to be among gate lice blocking the gate 20 minutes before boarding.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
+1.

IMHO passengers not following the cabin baggage rules and especially gate agents allowing it to happen are PITA. On the other hand, I wouldn't be so concerned of the weight limit, but the number and dimensions of the cabin baggage people bring onboard.
I agree with you, I never exceed the dimensions of baggage allowed. In J especially they allowance is so generous I never have any issues. Normal carry on + laptop bag and the J allowance would allow an additional piece still. If the agent tells me my 9kg bag is too heavy though, that I think is an area where some flexibility for elites (or J pax in general) could be afforded.

23kg on BA is great, though I probably never do exceed 10kg. I understand the Scandic-of-the-skies approach of the 8kg limit though. Not as bad as SN's 6kg. I do sometimes wonder at the absurdity of how I could weigh 2x my current body weight and still be allowed to fly without any additional charges. I'm guessing a shared body & baggage weight allowance wouldn't be popular with passengers though.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
The blonde lady is quite a PITA when it comes to weighing luggage, though I haven't seen her there for a while.

The other agents are more than friendly usually IME, we always exchange a few words in Finnish even.
I assume the name of the blond lady is Tiina.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:13 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Rosenberg?!
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Rosenberg?!
All I got was the first name. She had a hideous attitude towards my carry-on.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Yes, it is okay to enforce the carry-on restrictions as far as measurements (size) is concerned. I as a passenger follow those restrictions and my travels would be easier if my fellow pax followed them, too. So no problem there. But the weight restriction is something I don't really understand. Is it Easyjet that has gotten rid of those completely? As long as it fits the sizer, you can take it with you.

US airlines tend to have very generous weight policies, and I suppose BA is practically forced to follow those so they don't lose high-yielding pax on their TATL services. But what is the real reason behind these European 5–10 kg limits?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by TTL
Also, since we're sharing names, the check-in agent I got was named Sam. On his large name tag, at least. His airport badge seemed to have a much longer name on it but it was too small print to read from across the counter.

The main lesson I've learned from this is to hide my large carry-on if I need to check a bag from LHR on this route again. It's not oversize by any measure, but it was 10kg on its own and I was flying Y.

The only other time I've ever had my carry-ons weighed was at TPE, flying BR. They had a 7kg limit.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:43 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
All I got was the first name. ...
Sorry, this was my attempt at a joke.
I was thinking about a public figure that might fit the profile. But here attitude isn't towards inanimate objects like bags.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Sorry, this was my attempt at a joke.
I was thinking about a public figure that might fit the profile. But here attitude isn't towards inanimate objects like bags.
Whoops. This is my first time in the Finnair board (only my second time flying Finnair ever- the first time was KIX-HEL-LHR//VIE-HEL-PVG, and they didn't care about weight at VIE, but what's with the AB aircraft with AY crew arrangement, anyway?) so either I'm just not up on what happens here before I got here or I've been living under a rock the past year, one of the two.

But seriously, if that's the name of the grumpy "older chap" someone mentioned earlier, then I'm not surprised.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:12 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by jamar
Whoops. This is my first time in the Finnair board (only my second time flying Finnair ever- the first time was KIX-HEL-LHR//VIE-HEL-PVG, and they didn't care about weight at VIE, but what's with the AB aircraft with AY crew arrangement, anyway?) so either I'm just not up on what happens here before I got here or I've been living under a rock the past year, one of the two.

But seriously, if that's the name of the grumpy "older chap" someone mentioned earlier, then I'm not surprised.
I fly AY a lot. My carryon bag has been weighted exactly once, in PVG. It was over 10 kg.

"Do you have laptop in there?"
"Yes."
"OK, then."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.