Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

This is no way, AY - things to improve [feedback thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This is no way, AY - things to improve [feedback thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:58 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by reflektia
TBH neither A330 nor A350 power sockets are powerful enough to power my laptop, so for me USB sockets on A350 are better. They should install bigger fuses on all planes.
Interesting, you have a power hungry gaming setup? The A330 and J seat sockets are enough for an Apple MacBook Pro, at least to extend the lifetime for the entire long-haul. So anyone wanting to make use of the full-flight internet now needs to make sure their device will have enough juice for the entire flight.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:04 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I guess providing power inflight is not sustainable.
Passenger weight, inflight meals/drinks, electrical power used - it all requires more fuel to be loaded and burnt. If they can't provide full meal service because of fuel considerations I doubt they would allow 300 pax to draw an extra 100W elecrical power.

Oh, oh, I sense a great opportunity for tier benefits. You know, the whole "valued platinums gets 30 minutes of uniterupted [add inflight service here] ..." style perk.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:25 am

Providing electricity for 300 pax by burning fuel is an insignificant drop in the ocean. Lifting some meals up 12km in the air burns roughly the same amount of fuel as lifting the paint of the airplane. The paint of an A380 weights the equivalent of a small car, 1.1 tons, according to an answer on quora. Total meals and drinks at 3 kg/pax would then be of order a ton for a 300+ pax plane as well. The batteries of 300 laptops have only ~ 1% of the energy needed to lift a car 12 km.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:36 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
I can see a new business model incoming.
”Our customers have asked for further changes to make flying more sustainable, from now on we are charging €1,99 for every 30 minutes of charging your electrical devices. Using the USB port only comes at a reduced rate of €0,50 / 30 min. Platinum Lumo members get 1 hour or charging free.”
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:08 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
I can see a new business model incoming.
I've started a new thread for that, so we don't go off topic here.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by zxcv1
Interesting, you have a power hungry gaming setup? The A330 and J seat sockets are enough for an Apple MacBook Pro, at least to extend the lifetime for the entire long-haul. So anyone wanting to make use of the full-flight internet now needs to make sure their device will have enough juice for the entire flight.
Lenovo laptop, not that power hungry I think. Doesnt work in most airplanes, so Finnair is nothing special here.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:41 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by reflektia
TBH neither A330 nor A350 power sockets are powerful enough to power my laptop, so for me USB sockets on A350 are better. They should install bigger fuses on all planes.
My power gaming laptop won't charge on the A330 but will on the A350.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
How is it possible that an airline desperate for cash (for example selling award and tier points) does not sell gift cards? All one can find on the website is a text "Finnair flight gift cards are currently not available for purchase."

Finnair website

You'd think people would have wanted to buy gift cards for example as christmas gifts (like my wife tried to do) and an airline would be more than happy to sell those
Old Dec 25, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
This! I also tried to look for a gift card, but noticed they don’t sell them.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 3:11 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
AY moved my flights agian, original booked in March 2020, paid with real money. I agreed on a voucher when they canceled the flights for the first time (and I only got a voucher of the amount I paid for). I needed to move this flights 3 times and in the end of the day I could not fly because the flight was canceled. So I asked for a refund for more then 3000€, I was told that they only can give me a gift voucher, because the ticket was paid by a voucher - I m kind of OKAY with that (but not really), so now two weeks after the cancelation I found a voucher in my spam folder and I have to find out that the voucher is only valid for 6 months, before vouchers were always good for 12 months. Just not cool.
remymartin and FFlash like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 4:29 am

Sounds bad. It's the devil you don't know that they use to get you.

E.g. had an attractive Campaign fare and now must change the flight? Oh, too bad, the new flight doesn't have this rare Campaign fare type available at all anymore so cannot change as there must be space in the same fare or can change but for exorbitant fees. Surprises like this can bite you.

Or CS tries to overcharge you (several reports here on that).

If you end up paying for fare differences, they're non-refundable and doesn't matter if you later book into a cheaper flight.

This is more the Ryanair model: every attempt to charge you for the little things and things you never expected having to pay for in the end all the while money is flowing away from you, which all builds up.

I kind of regret not pursuing a 600 euro EC261/2004 case against Finnair many years back out of the kindness of my heart. They haven't shown similar kindness in return, and make every attempt to extract money from me.

Never ever accept a voucher especially if the ticket is 3000 euro. With that come surprises as you mention, limited validity, and I'm guessing you must use the entire voucher at once as well. Cash is always king, even if the voucher is 10% higher. Just not worth it.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 6:20 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by zxcv1
Never ever accept a voucher especially if the ticket is 3000 euro. With that come surprises as you mention, limited validity, and I'm guessing you must use the entire voucher at once as well. Cash is always king, even if the voucher is 10% higher. Just not worth it.
I was in a catch 22 position, I could not fly TLL-BKK because Estland closed the borders but I need to go to BKK, they told me it can take up to 6 weeks to get the money back on my credit card, and I just wanted to book XXX-BKK, so I took the voucher and immediately booked a flight to BKK BUT that was just when Thailand closed its borders....., after that, I rebooked that flight two times because of cancelations and restrictions, meanwhile I flown two times with KL to BKK, since AY could not get me there in time.

It was the beginning of the pandemic and I didn't t thought it could get that rough.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: AY+ Plat
Since the AY Schengen Lounge's Veggie Vomit offering started, we're still trying to get used to it but that's barely possible as it is forcefully pushed on the passengers rather than providing it as an option. However, now it went another step down. Quite often the Veggie option is some kind of Lasagne and for inexplicable reasons they also add mushrooms to it. WHY!? Anyhow, last time in the Lounge (mid of January) my SO asked the staff, if there are mushrooms in the Lasagne as she is sensitive to them (luckily not allergic). The staff went into the kitchen, checked the ingredients list and reported back that there are none.
While eating we realised that the Lasagne, surprise surprise..., contains mushrooms. We didn't bother to go to the staff as we were busy. Just before leaving the Lounge, the staff came to our seats and said that she is very sorry, she just found out that there are mushrooms in the food. I have to say the staff was really nice and tried her best, Kudos to that!

Finally, we found the time to fill a complaint form as I think this is unacceptable. Imagining someone being allergic... (in every takeaway there is a list of the ingredients provided in the food).
We emphasised the point about the incorrect declaration and not about the offering in order to avoid being dismissed by their sustainability effort. Well, the response was the next step towards the bottom. A generic sorry-response, brushing it of and saying it will be forwarded.

Sorry, AY but it's not ok to buy food externally and then not knowing what is in there and when notifying you, sending a generic sorry. That's not customer-friendly, that's customer-ignoring...
Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:20 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by Teppo
Since the AY Schengen Lounge's Veggie Vomit blaa blaa blaa.....
For people with known allergies must avoid allergens. That means, that _normal_ people do not have to avoid allergens. Also "mushroom allergy" is most likely to be a very psychological phenomenon (refer to Pavlov's dogs and so called "sensory defensiness" in humans). There are numerous people with either true or _faked_ intolerances in the public feeding schemes. And the sound ones should not be bothered or suffered by them!!!

Such people should refrain from the offerings to the general public and fly and pay airlines and lounges with a la carte dining with specific lists of goods in the offerings. I do not think AY will be ready for that in anytime soon - or any other airline.

Last edited by TTL; Jan 31, 2022 at 11:27 am Reason: For those who disagree.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
TTL, I don't think you're being fair here. Allergy or no allergy, if you ask whether the food item includes a certain ingredient and get a "no", you should be able to trust that. That's the point here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.