Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair & Jetstar Asia launch new codeshare through Singapore hub

Finnair & Jetstar Asia launch new codeshare through Singapore hub

Old Dec 3, 15, 11:14 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1
Finnair & Jetstar Asia launch new codeshare through Singapore hub

Finnair and Singapore-based Jetstar Asia launch a codeshare cooperation today that will provide Finnair customers with a wider choice of destinations and departure times across Asia and Australia.

From December 15 2015, Finnair customers will be able to travel on codeshare services operated by Jetstar Asia to and from its Singapore hub.
Read more: http://www.finnairgroup.com/mediaen/...l_2055780.html
thero is offline  
Old Dec 5, 15, 10:13 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 860
Do you earn miles on the codeshares?
mpkz is offline  
Old Dec 5, 15, 2:18 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Over Russia airspace
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by mpkz View Post
Do you earn miles on the codeshares?
If booked under Finnair's code, in most cases you should earn points. Exact answer is little bit complicated as some codeshare flight numbers do not earn points. I believe exact details (flight numbers) can be found in Finnair's website.

Last edited by reflektia; Dec 5, 15 at 2:24 pm
reflektia is offline  
Old Dec 5, 15, 11:52 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Asia
Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), AZ Freccia Alata Plus, Hilton Silver, PP
Posts: 354
I wonder why they do not codeshare with Jet Airways that has an excellent network and a quality product all over India and the region. Jet Airways could also join OW, which is presently poorly represented in the huge and still growing Indian market.
Justinus is offline  
Old Dec 10, 15, 2:11 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: JFK
Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | A-Club Silver | AA EXP
Posts: 793
Couple of observations:
  • Right now it's only for certain destinations in SE Asia. I tried CGK (heading there in Jan) and it's not an option when booking through finnair.com.
  • There's pricing issue if you're looking at J fare - system will price it as J all the way eventhough on many SE Asia destinations (say KUL or PEN which are covered here) I believe Jetstar Asia (3K) operates all Y fleet. Will it block the seat next to you like intra-EU J? If you're looking at J say to KUL, I think you're better off either 1) buy 3K ticket separately as it is cheaper or 2) route your AY flight via BKK (on A359) and continuing to KUL on MH (as MH will put you on proper short-haul J).

Originally Posted by mpkz View Post
Do you earn miles on the codeshares?
I suspect it will be similar to other flights operated by non-OW airline - you will earn AY miles but not status miles. No miles if you put other OW FFP number (since it is operated by a non-OW airline).

Last edited by Rivarix; Dec 10, 15 at 2:50 pm
Rivarix is offline  
Old Dec 11, 15, 12:16 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MMX (CPH)
Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Posts: 11,591
Originally Posted by Rivarix View Post
Couple of observations:
  • [*]

...
I think this is a known issue - and the intended function of the booking engine. In the past, the issue was reversed, it would price out the trip using Y on the codeshare segments but seat you in J all the way. Then AY found out, and semi-fixed the issue (still issuing a ticket in J all the way but seating you in Y on the longhauls) until they finally fixed the issue this way.


BTW intra-EU J does not automatically mean blocked seat. Only on Airbus narrow body with seating 3-3 is middle seat initially blocked, but can be overridden even when cabin is not full.
No idea how jetstar will handle these tickets though, but most likely like any other Y booking.



Originally Posted by Rivarix View Post
...
I suspect it will be similar to other flights operated by non-OW airline - you will earn AY miles but not status miles. No miles if you put other OW FFP number (since it is operated by a non-OW airline).
Guessing or talking from experience? I would assume that these codeshares will earn points to AY+ exactly like they were a AY flight, ie tier and award points and any tier bonus would work too.
Before, IIRC, only flights in the 8000-flightnumber-serie have been behaving badly in terms of earning to AY+.

Last edited by intuition; Dec 11, 15 at 12:30 am
intuition is offline  
Old Dec 11, 15, 12:22 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MMX (CPH)
Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Posts: 11,591
BTW, CGK isn't a codeshare destination. Only
Singapore – Darwin
Singapore – Ho Chi Minh City
Singapore – Kuala Lumpur
Singapore – Penang
Singapore – Phuket

List of flights (at this point in time incomplete) :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25800682-post248.html
intuition is offline  
Old Dec 15, 15, 6:22 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: HEL
Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Posts: 10,660
I was booking a HEL-KUL flight on AY website - I was offered a connection on 3K, but only with 3K code. Chatted with the agent, she said it's AY earning ONLY if it's AY coded. The was an AY codeshare on MH, which I finally took - gave also 30 mins more transfer time in SIN, the 3K transfer was a bit on the tight side.

Weird, though that the AY website doesn't offer codeshares on 3K.

BTW - to my great surprise the agent confirmed that there were upgrade availabilty both on HEL-SIN and HKG-HEL, so I booked Value and used the soon-to-expiry vouchers to move to the front of the bus. In the process I learned that Basic can be just 30€ cheaper for 50% less earning. No, thanks.

CX allowed me to book "preferred" seat for free (due to my OWE?) but MH seem to use another system (Galileo) with 5-digit PRNs, so that's still open.
WilcoRoger is offline  
Old Dec 18, 15, 10:21 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: JFK
Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | A-Club Silver | AA EXP
Posts: 793
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
I think this is a known issue - and the intended function of the booking engine. In the past, the issue was reversed, it would price out the trip using Y on the codeshare segments but seat you in J all the way. Then AY found out, and semi-fixed the issue (still issuing a ticket in J all the way but seating you in Y on the longhauls) until they finally fixed the issue this way.
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
No idea how jetstar will handle these tickets though, but most likely like any other Y booking.
Indeed - I expect 3K will treat it like any other Y booking in which case, aren't you better off buying the ticket separately? Yes, no miles but 3K flights intra-south east asia are usually dirt cheap. And they do interline your bag to AY when you buy ticket separately (they did it for me back in Nov).
Rivarix is offline  
Old Dec 18, 15, 10:33 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: JFK
Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | A-Club Silver | AA EXP
Posts: 793
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
I was booking a HEL-KUL flight on AY website - I was offered a connection on 3K, but only with 3K code. Chatted with the agent, she said it's AY earning ONLY if it's AY coded. The was an AY codeshare on MH, which I finally took - gave also 30 mins more transfer time in SIN, the 3K transfer was a bit on the tight side.
I'm curious - did you check how much it cost to fly Y just to SIN (and for you to book KUL-SIN on 3K separately)? Yes, no miles but I'm curious about the pricing ex-HEL.

I checked ex-JFK the other day and J return pricing to KUL (on 3K) is approx. USD 500 more compared to just to SIN. Considering you can get SIN-KUL one way on 3K for about USD 55 (that's with luggage, food, voucher and seat selection option) ...
Rivarix is offline  
Old Dec 18, 15, 10:45 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: JFK
Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | A-Club Silver | AA EXP
Posts: 793
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
BTW, CGK isn't a codeshare destination. Only
Singapore – Darwin
Singapore – Ho Chi Minh City
Singapore – Kuala Lumpur
Singapore – Penang
Singapore – Phuket

List of flights (at this point in time incomplete) :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25800682-post248.html
Yes, it wasn't an option when I checked but even when it does (which I think it will eventually), I think the J pricing will be similar to KUL which is about USD 500 more ex-JFK. Considering that 3K does interline your bag with AY, you're paying extra just for miles which is rather expensive I think (at least when booking J ex-US).

Using KUL as example, it cost USD 500 more. SIN-KUL is only 207 miles (414 miles return) and it's USD 55 (110 for return) on 3K. So you're paying approx. USD 390 for 414 miles ... seems expensive?

Hence why I'm curious how the pricing works ex-HEL. Maybe it is better/more reasonable?
Rivarix is offline  
Old Dec 18, 15, 12:35 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: HEL
Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Posts: 10,660
Originally Posted by Rivarix View Post
I'm curious - did you check how much it cost to fly Y just to SIN (and for you to book KUL-SIN on 3K separately)? Yes, no miles but I'm curious about the pricing ex-HEL.

I checked ex-JFK the other day and J return pricing to KUL (on 3K) is approx. USD 500 more compared to just to SIN. Considering you can get SIN-KUL one way on 3K for about USD 55 (that's with luggage, food, voucher and seat selection option) ...
No, I didn't check - but a quick search shows that KUL is cheaper than SIN by up to 200 (if connecting in BKK) and by 70 with my routing (SIN out, HKG back) - in Y
WilcoRoger is offline  
Old Sep 11, 16, 12:39 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: BLL
Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Posts: 405
Pulling up this old thread as I tested Jetstar Asia on KUL-SIN recently. Very smooth service for a low-cost carrier: AY marketed ticket so 23 kg checked luggage honored (Jetstar's free luggage limit is 15 kg). I got lots of colorful tags on my bag which made it all the way to HEL. Front-row seat on short-haul Y, and even a preordered sandwich and drink. No seat block but the flight was full.

I had my reservations particularly about the luggage limit but all was fine. Beats Air Asia for sure.
CeruleanBlue is offline  
Old Sep 11, 16, 9:49 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: JFK
Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | A-Club Silver | AA EXP
Posts: 793
Originally Posted by CeruleanBlue View Post
Front-row seat on short-haul Y, and even a preordered sandwich and drink. No seat block but the flight was full.
Did you book J or Y (with AY)? I guess I'm curious as to whether there's a difference between J or Y booking on AY marketed, 3K operated flight.
Rivarix is offline  
Old Sep 11, 16, 11:56 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: BLL
Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Posts: 405
I booked Y as I had a J upgrade by voucher on SIN-HEL. Leisure flight for me. And there was no J class on the flight.
CeruleanBlue is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: