Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Foreign longhaul carriers out of HEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign longhaul carriers out of HEL

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
CBJ (Beijing Capital Airlines) from Beijing was reported planning some charters to CPH and HEL from PEK.

CPH started in September from Beijing and Hangzhou but nothing about HEL.
HNA Group is at it again, announcing Kunming-Chengu-Helsinki twice weekly starting in January. Lets see if this materializes...

Last edited by Courmisch; Sep 26, 2017 at 11:27 am
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Kunming-Chengu-Helsinki twice daily starting in January
Let's try twice weekly first
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:28 am

Well, I just reproduced somebody else's typo

By the way, why do Chinese airlines operate so many international flights with a domestic stop? That seems pointless, as passengers will have to go through passport controls and customs at the stop.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
By the way, why do Chinese airlines operate so many international flights with a domestic stop? That seems pointless, as passengers will have to go through passport controls and customs at the stop.
Yes, I find this approach absolutely insane.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
If I was betting, I might place my bet on Lucky not starting flights to HEL, but we'll see...

Btw, did anyone react to Finavia talking about a triangle route? The person who wrote the press release probably misunderstood the concept of a triangle route, or do they actually intend to fly KMG-CTU-HEL-KMG?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
One Chinese airlines, one route policy is probably one of the reasons.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by miikkak
One Chinese airlines, one route policy is probably one of the reasons.
You mean X-Y-Z flights counts as X-Z to the central government? It might well be. Although I don't see how this would apply here as there are zero Chinese airlines on any routes to HEL - leaving aside CA code-shares from PEK and PVG.

Last edited by Courmisch; Sep 27, 2017 at 1:28 am
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:00 pm

You mean X-Y-Z flights counts as X-Z to the central government? It might well be. Although I don't see how this would apply here as there are zero Chinese airlines on any routes to HEL - leaving aside for CA code-shares from PEK and PVG.
Might be but this policy also creates a need to position aircrafts to a random cities which nobody has heard about.

I don't think this policy is relevant for Finnish market.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Usually there are 2 reasons:

As for this particular KMG-CTU-HEL route, i don't know if this is relevant but KMG is around 7k ft. above sea-level. Can Lucky's A333 fly KMG-HEL non-stop without payload restriction?
      Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Rivarix
      As for this particular KMG-CTU-HEL route, i don't know if this is relevant but KMG is around 7k ft. above sea-level. Can Lucky's A333 fly KMG-HEL non-stop without payload restriction?
      I'm not so sure about altitude. I have flown from BOG to LHR and MAD on Avianca A332. There are probably some performance differences between A332 and A333 but BOG is at 8000+ ft and BOG-LHR is longer flight than KMG-HEL.
      Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
      Originally Posted by miikkak
      I'm not so sure about altitude. I have flown from BOG to LHR and MAD on Avianca A332. There are probably some performance differences between A332 and A333 but BOG is at 8000+ ft and BOG-LHR is longer flight than KMG-HEL.
      I believe both flights are operated with payload restriction ex-BOG.

Originally Posted by ffay005
      Btw, did anyone react to Finavia talking about a triangle route? The person who wrote the press release probably misunderstood the concept of a triangle route, or do they actually intend to fly KMG-CTU-HEL-KMG?
      I did a quick search and notice KLM does the same thing on AMS-BOG (which as miikkak mentioned above, is another high-altitude airport). KLM operates AMS-BOG-CTG-AMS so non-stop ex-AMS but a stop ex-BOG due to payload restriction. So it's likely that the person did get the routing right and the CTU stop is designed to get around payload restriction issue ex-KMG. That's why there's a stop ex-KMG but non-stop ex-HEL.

Last edited by Rivarix; Oct 13, 2017 at 1:26 pm
      Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:34 pm

So it's likely that the person did get the routing right and the CTU stop is designed to get around payload restriction issue ex-KMG. That's why there's a stop ex-KMG but non-stop ex-HEL.
      Until the flight schedule is actually published, I wouldn't be so definite, as to whether it's a round-trip KMG-HEL flight with stop in CTU, or a triangle flight.
      Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:55 pm

I believe both flights are operated with payload restriction ex-BOG.

I did a quick search and notice KLM does the same thing on AMS-BOG (which as miikkak mentioned above, is another high-altitude airport). KLM operates AMS-BOG-CTG-AMS so non-stop ex-AMS but a stop ex-BOG due to payload restriction. So it's likely that the person did get the routing right and the CTU stop is designed to get around payload restriction issue ex-KMG. That's why there's a stop ex-KMG but non-stop ex-HEL.
      I think you missed my point. BOG-LHR is 1000 miles longer than KMG-HEL and BOG is located at ~1500 ft higher than KMG. If A332 can do BOG-LHR with payload restrictions, I'm not so sure whether those restrictions apply on KMG-HEL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.