Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OH-LGG
Finnair (AY) company website dedicated for A350 fleet can be found HERE
!!
bold= new cabin

!!

A350 Deliveries
OH-LWA (msn 18) delivered 7th Oct 2015 is the first Finnair A350 and started long-haul operations as AY57 to PVG on 21st Nov 2015.
OH-LWB (msn 19) was delivered 14th Dec 2015, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 19th Dec 2015.
OH-LWC (msn 20) was delivered 31st Dec 2015, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 3rd Jan 2016.
OH-LWD (msn 22) was delivered 25th Mar 2016, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 28th Mar 2016.
OH-LWE (msn 23) was delivered 29th Apr 2016, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 1st May 2016
OH-LWF (msn 28) was delivered 25th Jun 2016, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 27th Jun 2016
OH-LWG (msn 51) was delivered 29th Sep 2016, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 30th Sep 2016
OH-LWH (msn 97) was delivered 04th Apr 2017, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 5th Apr 2017
OH-LWI (msn 104) was delivered 02nd Jun 2017, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 5th Jun 2017
OH-LWK (msn 113) was delivered 30th Jun 2017, started long-haul operations as AY89 to BKK on 3rd Jul 2017
OH-LWL (msn 134) was delivered on 22th Sep 2017, started as AY 831 to LHR on 27th Sep 2017 and started longhauls on 29th Sep 2017 as AY89 to BKK.
OH-LWM (msn 264) was delivered on 13th Dec 2018, started long-haul operations as AY73 to NRT on 19th Dec 2018
OH-LWN (msn 273) was delivered on 13th Feb 2019, started long-haul operations as AY73 to NRT on 16th Feb 2019
OH-LWO (msn 300) was delivered on 26th Apr 2019, started long haul operations as AY141 to BKK on 29th Apr 2019
OH-LWP (msn 392) was delivered on 10th Feb 2020, started long haul operations as AY141 to BKK on 13th Feb 2020
OH-LWR (msn 410) was delivered on 1st Sep 2020, started long haul operations as AY141 to BKK on 8th Sep 2020
OH-LWS (msn 516) was delivered on 29th Dec 2021, started long haul operations as AY87 to PVG (cargo only) on 24th Jan 2022, first pax service on 28th Feb 2022 as AY9

Seating
2 different configurations exists.
J/46 Y/251: Features 2 J cabins. First 8 birds and 12th(LWA-LWH, LWM) has this config
J/32 Y/304: The minicabin is removed and replaced with Y seating. Babycots in 1L and 41L. Birds 9-11, 13, 15 (LWI-LWL, LWN, LWP) has this config, a.k.a. marsuhkki config.

Complete seatmap and layout of config 1 can be found HERE and config 2 is here.

Business Class features Zodiac Cirrus III full-flat bed seats in a 1-2-1 abreast config, all seats with direct access to the aisle. Config1 has two business class cabins, row1-8 and 9-12, while config2 only has one (row 1-8). Early reviews has preferred front cabin over minicabin, and for best window seat, row 2 or 1 may be preferable, row 1 for aisle seats.

As operations of A350 has matured, it has become practice to set the snack-bar on top of the cupboard in front of row 1, making row 1 experience a lot of foot traffic and noise.
Config2 also suffers from low toilet/pax quota (2 toilets / 32 pax) as the aft toilets has been assigned to the high density Y cabin, further contributing to high foot traffic in the front of the cabin. For these reasons, a seat further to the back may be preferable. However, all service start in the front and it will usually take a long time to get your meal in row 8.

For couples travelling together there is no clear choice. DH-seats are tilted towards each-other, but you still will not see the other person without leaning forwards. Seat across aisles (AD and HL respectively) has no barriers between them, but are tilted the wrong way and rows are also slightly misaligned.

Economy Comfort on A350 has the exact same seats as in economy, but with ≈4" inches more legroom. They also come with noise cancelling headphones, 1h internet, priority boarding and a small amenity kit.
Finnair platinums and OWE members can select these seats for free. (OWE must call to do so). Other passengers can select comfort seats for a fee, and seats are also sold after boarding.
On config1 comfort is row 21-25, while on config 2 comfort is row 21-24 + 25ABC and 25JKL. Row 21 is bulkhead and has slightly more space, as no seat reclines into the space. None of the configs has that super-space found on some retrofitted A330 though.

On config1 21AC and 21JL are the only paired seats making them preferable, but if you want to have IFE screen in the seat in front of you, pick row 22. On config2 all seats are in groups of 3, and it is also recommended to stay away from row 21 entirely, as it is entangled with the toilets.

In terms of space there are no seats in comfort cabin on either config that beats exit row 41A/C/J/L or 42A/L.

Economy Class features 3-3-3 abreast slimline seating with 32" pitch. The best seats are row 41 with most legroom on A/C/J/L (but they lack window), and row 42 A/L.
These are either labled "extra legroom" or "exit row" and are selectable with status or for a fee.
Economy cabin offers USB for charge - no AC outlets.

In-Flight Entertainment

IFE system is upgraded. Bigger screens, wider selection of movies and music, route mapper and control options. You can watch a movie from start to landing. You will have Bose noise-cancelling earphones in business class and in Economy comfort, and earplugs in economy class.
Wifi: you will see a code (in business class) in the screen when you open the IFE and select language. In economy class, you need to ask cabin crew for a voucher code if you are OWS/OWE, otherwise it costs you 7,95 per hour, 11,95 per three hours or 19,95 for the whole flight. It may take some time until up in the air to get it started. Log in is required, once you have created an account and password, the system will recognize you next time.

Quality issues and early refurbishment
The seats in business class have had many quality issues from day one. Apart from some inherent problems with the seat design, there are also malfunctions and abnormal wear.
As every row has slightly different pitch, fittings and trimmings have had to de adopted manually. Apart from causing delays in delivery, this also has led to many things in the cabin tend to come loose, to squeak and to break.

In june 2017 it was announced that Airbus has accepted responsibility for the quality issues and will replace every seat on every plane delivered until that point in time (9 birds).
The refurbish will take place during the first round of major maintenance round, scheduled to start later this year.

There is no information if there will be any changes made at the same time (addressing complaints about cramped seats and missing stowage space for example), but most likely this is treated as a warranty action and so cabin will be equipped with the exact same seats and layout, albeit with a newer batch of seats.

More details and discussion:
FAM (Familiarization) flights were ongoing within European destinations until the first A350 aircraft was put on regular long-haul service on 21st November 2015. Here is a list of FAM flights quoted by a FT'er.
The "famous" introduction list with initial experiences can be found in THIS thread
Discussion about the first long-haul services and experiences can be found in another THREAD

Links to many trip reports can be found in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finn...ion-links.html.

Print Wikipost

Finnair A350 XWB master thread

Old Sep 8, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Does AY operate scheduled services to BKK?

Would anyone know what the loads are like?
Old Sep 8, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by ffay005
Does AY operate scheduled services to BKK?
Yes, 4 per week. HEL-BKK cargo only and BKK-HEL is pax & cargo.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Finnair to defer three A350 deliveries, eyes 2021 ramp-up

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/n...s-2021-ramp-up

06.11.2020 - 00:16 UTC
Finnair (AY, Helsinki Vantaa) CEO Topi Manner has said that the company has seen progress in its talks with Airbus (AIB, Toulouse Blagnac) to defer delivery of the remaining three A350-900s in its overall order for 19 of the aircraft type, adding that he expects to confirm the deferral during this coming quarter.

In its financial report released on October 28, Finnair said it took delivery of one new A350 during the third quarter, so that at the end of the quarter it had sixteen A350s delivered between 2015 and 2020. Based on the current delivery schedule, two of the three remaining A350s are due for delivery in 2021 and one in 2022.

The airlines investment commitments for property and equipment, totalling EUR441 million euro (USD522 million), include these upcoming investments in its widebody fleet.

Finnair has the possibility to adjust the size of its fleet in line with demand forecasts through the staggered maturities of its lease agreements and changes in the number of owned aircraft, and by renegotiating the delivery schedules of committed aircraft purchases, the report said.

The report summarised that it had 61 aircraft, of which 24 are widebodies and 37 narrowbodies, which tallies with figures in the ch-aviation fleets advanced module: eight A319-100s, ten A320-200s, nineteen A321-200s, eight A330-300s, and sixteen A350-900s.

During a conference call, the chief executive forecasted that a ramp-up in terms of demand starting to pick up will materialise on a bigger scale at the start of the [2021] summer season, so basically at the end of March, April, next spring.

The final three months of the year are likely to yield a similar result to the last two quarters, he admitted during the call, according to Reuters.

Travel restrictions, which are particularly strict in Finland, led us to deviate from our plans and we continued to operate a restricted network throughout the quarter, he said.

The 55.9% state-owned flag carrier posted a EUR167 million (USD197 million) underlying operating loss for the third quarter ending September 30. This followed a EUR174.3 million (USD206 million) loss in the previous quarter. Finnair made a profit of EUR100.7 million (USD119 million) during the third quarter of 2019.

Finnair's cost-cutting target will rise by a further EUR40 million (USD47 million) to EUR140 million (USD166 million), it said in a statement on October 28, and its workforce will decline by almost 1,100 compared to the beginning of 2020.

To achieve even more savings, Finnair said in another statement on October 28 that it was in talks with the relevant authorities to remove some pension index increments. If approved, this will cut at least another EUR85 million (USD100 million) from fourth-quarter costs.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:58 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
“Travel restrictions, which are particularly strict in Finland, led us to deviate from our plans and we continued to operate a restricted network throughout the quarter,” he said.
He is good at driving this key political message home. I've seen it repeated in a number of statements, making sure the majority owner understands that actions taken by the owner has impact on the bottom line.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:55 pm

Sorry if its been asked before. I selected seat 21A for my ORD HEL flight. Does anyone have any pics of row 21. Wondering if I can stretch my legs all the way or is bulkhead to close ? This is for the config 1 that doesnt have lavatory in front of economy.
also Im in 5A for my HEL ORD return. Is that a good seat. Or should I switch to mini biz cabin ?
also 1A is open but Im not sure if there is lots of noise from the galley. Thanks in advance
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:45 am

Same here. Have the option of row 21 with the LAV infront, or row 41 with the unlimted exit seat. I have never flown in Y on the AY 350, I am tall 6,2/190cm so for me it is important that my feet don't get boxed in or my knees hurt after a few hours.
Hence, I am better off in Exit row or first row of ECO comfort?
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Petrus
Same here. Have the option of row 21 with the LAV infront, or row 41 with the unlimted exit seat. I have never flown in Y on the AY 350, I am tall 6,2/190cm so for me it is important that my feet don't get boxed in or my knees hurt after a few hours.
I'm 184cm and row 21 is fine for me. Row 41 has more legroom, and 42A/L have basically unlimited legroom (2m+). Personally I usually take row 25 or so as I like economy comfort has enough space for me.
GOTBound likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 4:30 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gateH15
Sorry if it’s been asked before. I selected seat 21A for my ORD HEL flight. Does anyone have any pics of row 21. Wondering if I can stretch my legs all the way or is bulkhead to close ? This is for the config 1 that doesn’t have lavatory in front of economy.
also I’m in 5A for my HEL ORD return. Is that a good seat. Or should I switch to mini biz cabin ?
also 1A is open but I’m not sure if there is lots of noise from the galley. Thanks in advance
Apologies, flew the AY 359 (46J version) last week and got some photos.
GateH15 and Petrus, hope these photos can help you two out

What about 22C perhaps?
If one is on an Asian route now, chances are you can luck oneself onto a El Cheapo flatbed

Row 21

Row 21 & 22

Row 41
Old Nov 6, 2021, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis

What about 22C perhaps?
If one is on an Asian route now, chances are you can luck oneself onto a El Cheapo flatbed
In 22C and 22J trolley (and FAs) will sometimes hit your legs if you are trying to sleep and have legs stretched out.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis

What about 22C perhaps?
thank you! This is helpful !
Short hair Francis likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Nov 6, 2021 at 8:58 am Reason: Removed images from quoted post for readability
Old Nov 7, 2021, 8:20 am

Thank you Short Hair Francis! Very helpful.
Short hair Francis likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 2:16 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gateH15
thank you! This is helpful !
Thank you Short Hair Francis! Very helpful.
Your welcome gateH15, Petrus, glad to help

Not hard to take photos in the back when the loads are 17Y LOL

Will also load this photo if someone ever needed it.
Row 21 in Layout 2 (32J Low J) version

ffay005 and Venezuela-Miami like this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Very much off topic, but I think it still fits here the best, just to show that the grass is not always greener on the other side. We've been slamming AY for their A359s J cabin a lot in the past. I have very recently flown with one of AF's refurbished B777 (one of the COI (Carabe Ocan Indien)) and was sitting in 1A. Not sure if further rows behind are better or not, but at least with this seat, if we say that AY is missing about a good 5 cm in what should be the ideal space length wise with their seats, AF is missing a good 15 on this seat. It was probably the most uncomfortable long haul J flight I have ever had, simply did not fit when the seat was converted to bed. Service/food/drinks on the other hand were impeccable!
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Steve was it a zodiac seat as well?
Old Nov 12, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
I believe Zodiac Optima seats are installed on these specific B777 planes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.