Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Unfortunately it didnt work

Saw this as well, but could only find prices around 9500 DKK
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:04 am

Does anyone have any idea how standby upgrades work with AA? I have now been twice on list inside year (once cleared), most of the time not. Onboard they always acknowledge me as exp.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:47 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by reflektia
Does anyone have any idea how standby upgrades work with AA? I have now been twice on list inside year (once cleared), most of the time not. Onboard they always acknowledge me as exp.
Status, but also from waitlist pax who have requested upgrades with miles/co-pay or with stickers..if equal then spending with AA plays a role, too. Not easy/common to get upgrades for non-AA elites solely based on status, can happen, but not as automatic as for their own elites.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
You should not be on the upgrade list if your status is not with AA.

I would imagine that the upgrade came as they were overbooked and did not have AA status members to move. Potentially same for when you were put on the upgrade list but it did not clear.

How did you verify that you were on the list?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer

I would imagine that the upgrade came as they were overbooked and did not have AA status members to move. Potentially same for when you were put on the upgrade list but it did not clear.

Most if not all US Airlines post the upgrade list on the monitors at the gate
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kauppias
Most if not all US Airlines post the upgrade list on the monitors at the gate
I know, but they only do initial and first three letters of the last name on the screens and on the app. I have been on the cleared list based on that without moving from my Y seat. Just another passenger with the same letter combo.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:49 pm

Saw my name combo on the list at the gate. When I saw my name getting green mark, I approached desk and got new seat.

I dont have even AA account.

Maybe they were out of elites, it was on DFW-CZM, which is probably not very top heavy.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Saw my name combo on the list at the gate. When I saw my name getting green mark, I approached desk and got new seat.

I dont have even AA account.
I guess you got very lucky I have had upgrades on AA, but as I usually don't watch the lists, knowing II should not be on them, I have been called to the gate or gotten the delightful tone of error when my boarding pass was scanned.

It does happen, but as non AA elites we are not part of the domestic upgrade program.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I guess you got very lucky I have had upgrades on AA, but as I usually don't watch the lists, knowing II should not be on them, I have been called to the gate or gotten the delightful tone of error when my boarding pass was scanned.

It does happen, but as non AA elites we are not part of the domestic upgrade program.
Some clueless (or helpful) AAngels will put you on the list whether or not they're supposed to. Only once have I been successful. Almost had such luck again at LGA in December until one of the two at the Admirals Club desk realized I had an AAdvantage award (as there are no upgrades whatseover on awards) where I put my AY+ number in to show status. Tried at the gate too and there they realized "Look it's AY and not AA" and pointed to the tiny corner where that is displayed.
NoWindowSeat and FFlash like this.

Last edited by miamiflyer8; Feb 23, 2019 at 5:35 pm
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Onboard they always acknowledge me as exp.
Even as Gold/Sapphire I get regularly recognized as EXP. On a domestic flight the purser came after the drink service (which includes free booze for MCE rows) with snackboxes and said "My manual says I'm supposed to offer you one of these" and gave me a choice of different options.

Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:23 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
"my manual says..."
What a great way to make you feel appreciated!!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by intuition
"my manual says..."
What a great way to make you feel appreciated!!
That's American FA for you
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:45 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Sabre PALL (Priority - used for upgrade) list will not have you unless you are AA elite. Agent can add you manually, if they need someone to be 'Op Up'ed'

All OWE's are treated the same - you get a drink and a snack.
esledo likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:51 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
"My manual says I'm supposed to offer you one of these"
"My manners tells me I'm supposed to say thank you"

ffay005, FFlash, Furry and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Finnish manners say you shall say instead of ”thank you” - ”can I have this with booze?”
miamiflyer8 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.