Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:31 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I have seen it say so somewhere (probably on AUSBT). Haven't tried it myself.

If no luck, you can always qualify the old-fashioned way. 3 entries in 6 month. Can be done in one morning, just go to TPE or something and return.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:06 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yes, AUSBT reported AY+ was a valid card in 2014.
https://www.ausbt.com.au/how-frequen...sitor-echannel

The e-channel is pretty amazing, anyone even occasionally going to HKG should get it.
I got the precursory, the frequent visitors card in 2010 or so. It was pretty nice, you still had to fill out arrival card but could by pass any line at immigrations.
But with the e-channel there is no need for arrival cards.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by lkrt
Just to confirm: AY FF cards are accepted for the Hong Kong e-channel service enrollment?
Confirmed. (and IIRC not even elite level is required, as some other FFPs do)

Last time I did it was in November with a new passport during a 2 hr layover - I was the only customer at the office, 5 mins tops to do it. You can already use it when exiting HKG.

And in other news - last week in ICN I was directed to the automatic gates on departure and it worked without a hitch. First time for me.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: M&M mainly
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Confirmed. (and IIRC not even elite level is required, as some other FFPs do)

And in other news - last week in ICN I was directed to the automatic gates on departure and it worked without a hitch. First time for me.
Btw do you know about arrival to ICN? Also automatic gates, like in HKG?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by AhogZ
Btw do you know about arrival to ICN? Also automatic gates, like in HKG?
I don't know - went through the normal line. (my totally uninformed guess is that it might work in a similar way as in SIN - inbound the traditional way, outbound via the automated gate)
AhogZ likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by intuition
They are all supposed to be 2 bridge gates, AFAIK.
The two arms are attached to the outer end of the main gate salient so maybe they are mounting them one by one? Or what did you see that looks like there is only going to be one?
Alright. There is an opening in the glass structure where the jetbridges are attached. Some don't have airbridges yet and you can see where they will attach it. I didn't see a second opening for the second air bridge.

You can see it in the picture below, sorry for bad quality. The opening is the area in the black circle

Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:54 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Yeah, apparently they are not all going to be dual bridge gates.

I realise it is a money thing, but still odd. Doesn't all widebodies have 2 front doors and would benefit from dual bridge boarding/de-planing?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by intuition
Yeah, apparently they are not all going to be dual bridge gates.

I realise it is a money thing, but still odd. Doesn't all widebodies have 2 front doors and would benefit from dual bridge boarding/de-planing?
Some airlines don't use two doors even if they can. JAL often boards through door two only, even in Narita and Haneda where all international gates have dual arms. I know Swiss only boards through door two to reduce footfall in first class. (or used to, have not flown them in a while)

Looking at JAL's ability to get a flight boarded in 10 to 15 minutes through door two only i doubt dual arms are that much of a benefit for boarding speed. But there is of course the option to have business class only arm
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:46 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

That's all very true!

I just reckoned that it was a bit cheapskate to not do dual arms on all gates.
And maybe it means AY won't care much about it either and keep on using door 2 only.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Advantage with 2 doors is that F/J pax have dedicated jetbridge. If you turn up late you can board right away. With 1 bridge there might be a queue etc.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:51 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Yes it makes the ".. or board at your convenience" call much simpler to actually use IRL.

But I think the de-planing is more important in terms of efficiency. With a 2 door de-plane, they can give J a relaxed de-planing without the need to hold back Y pax.

Just connect door1 first, exchange papers and stuff while bridge to door 2 is moved in place.
florens likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by florens
Advantage with 2 doors is that F/J pax have dedicated jetbridge. If you turn up late you can board right away. With 1 bridge there might be a queue etc.
J passengers should never be sent through the F cabin. They should anyway be sent to door 2 on airlines with F. With the exception of a 747 and an A380 that is.

I do agree the disembarking seems much faster with two doors in place. Though I have never really timed it.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
J passengers should never be sent through the F cabin. They should anyway be sent to door 2 on airlines with F. With the exception of a 747 and an A380 that is.

I do agree the disembarking seems much faster with two doors in place. Though I have never really timed it.
What I meant is door 1/jetty if F, if no F, the. door 1/jetty for J.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by florens

What I meant is door 1/jetty if F, if no F, the. door 1/jetty for J.
Excellent
(please read it with a Mr Burns like voice)
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:47 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

I'd give a Burnsian 'Excellent' for this:
Door 1 -> F
Door 2 -> J
Y do tarmac boarding via door 4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.