Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Compared to the outrageous QR list prices of HEL-DOH, and considering the hotel brand standing, this is indeed a good deal. But what the hell are you going to do in Doha for a whole week? From what I've heard/read, there is not a whole lot of tourist activities on offer over there.
2 days for general tourism - outstanding Islamic Art Museum, souk, etc, 4 days winter sun. Both the RC and the StR are vey good.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: QR Gold AY Plat
Originally Posted by BlueNordicSky
Reminds me of how one time I booked a ZRH-HEL-BKK in J as usual. But on the confirmation page it suddenly shoved that ZRH-HEL was in Y. Called CS and they said that there were no J seats in that booking class. She was apologetic and promised to forward feedback to AY. I ended up having to use 10k miles to upgrade it myself, and the upgrade did come through, so they did have seats after all.
"J seats in that booking [fare] class, and they did have seats after all."
They had seats all the while, but you needed to pay a higher fare, in order to fly the inter-european ZRH-HEL leg also in business. Meaning, they had inventory, but they restricted if from cheaper business class tickets.

The booking engine doesn't consider the connecting flight as much as the long-haul portion of travel when resolving availability. The same happens when booking on QR. I've had a ticket with the first HELARN in economy, and all the rest of the flights, including the return connecting flight in business.

This happens on flights with small 2/3 row business cabin, meaning if they sell a lot of business class tickets, they won't be able to accommodate all in business class. In these situations, a points upgraded passenger can be bumped back to economy.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:28 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by flymetoHEL
"...
They had seats all the while, but you needed to pay a higher fare, in order to fly the inter-european ZRH-HEL leg also in business. Meaning, they had inventory, but they restricted if from cheaper business class tickets.
I could even be that they had business saver availability on both ZRH-HEL and HEL-BKK separately , but were not willing to offer that on a ZRH-HEL-BKK ticket. This is a "inverted married segments" thing AY employs. They control availability in each fare both on each leg and on the entire journey. In this case they might not want all ZRH-HEL seats to be taken by cheap BKK-ticket as they expect to earn massively better on selling them separately.

But what BlueNordicSky experienced was their inability to show this upfront. On the initial page they do show business (saver) on the entire journey. It is only on the confimation page they show in small print that they booked one leg in a lower class. That is pretty misleading.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Have I missed something? Taken from the BlueWings Magazine (https://bluewings.finnair.com/lifest...-of-the-sky/):

"In the 1960s, specially trained Finn Hostesses were required to brush up on Finnish history, art, and local sights. And in 2018, Finnair launched a new service concept for Business Class offering a wider range of dining and wine options, served on-demand, and at the customer’s preferred time."

I suppose the concept of on-demand dining is a bit ambiguous and it's hard to make clear distinctions. And for sure, the meals are "on demand" in the sense that the passengers demand those J meals. Other than that, I must've missed this new service flow completely
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
On the flight to Dubai (A321) the purser asked the plats in J if we had any special wishes. One of the plats in front of me asked what the purser meant, what could he wish for. The purser explained that perhaps you would like to have your meal at a certain time instead of with the main service.

I actually might try this out tomorrow. My wife was so loving that she used her few points to upgrade the family on the flight back from Dubai. Given that the flight is very early, we might want to sleep in the beginning and have the meal later.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: AY,SK,SU,M&M,HH,IHG,Le
Originally Posted by niksal
On the flight to Dubai (A321) the purser asked the plats in J if we had any special wishes. One of the plats in front of me asked what the purser meant, what could he wish for. The purser explained that perhaps you would like to have your meal at a certain time instead of with the main service.
I asked the very same question last saturday, same route and metal. Not sure how much they can delay service without meals become deep dry in the oven.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: QR Gold AY Plat
Originally Posted by intuition

But what BlueNordicSky experienced was their inability to show this upfront. On the initial page they do show business (saver) on the entire journey. It is only on the confimation page they show in small print that they booked one leg in a lower class. That is pretty misleading.
This is misleading, I agree!
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo (LTG), LH SEN
Originally Posted by intuition
It is only on the confimation page they show in small print that they booked one leg in a lower class. That is pretty misleading.
Happened to me twice and I didn't see the summary beforehand as well. But to be fair, there is one at the end of the payment page showing those legs that would be booked in a different class before the final confirmation. There is even a small warning in these cases, but far too small. Certainly one more point for Finnair's IT to fix/improve. This warning needs to be at the top of that page in big letters not at the bottom somewhere after the payment form.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:04 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by FlyeBye
Happened to me twice and I didn't see the summary beforehand as well. But to be fair, there is one at the end of the payment page showing those legs that would be booked in a different class before the final confirmation. There is even a small warning in these cases, but far too small. ...
They seem to have improved this slightly since the last time I encountered the problem, so they should indeed get credit for that.

The irony is that if I want to book mixed classes, it is forbidden. Finnair does not sell mixed classes on request. It is only when they want it it happens. And I think charging a business fare and deliver an economy seat to a customer who actively searched for a business trip needs a little more than a small warning.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:13 am

Which 330 bird is flying the first widebody flight HEL-AGP-HEL Fri 14th? Risk that it will be late from HEL?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:50 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

I recieved a e-mail with the news that I can now redeem points for awardflights on Japan Airlines.
The text goes something like "NEWS! Now you can use your points for flights with Japan Airlines". As that is surely no news, I assume what they meant to say is that JL flights are now visible/bookable on finnair.com.
I logged in and tried multiple dates/routes and all I got was "no availability on the route". Anyone else having any luck (or have a clue what the "NEWS" actually is about)?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by superpahkina
I asked the very same question last saturday, same route and metal. Not sure how much they can delay service without meals become deep dry in the oven.
They did this on AY1662 on Monday. In practice they had three servings, first at about 11, an older couple wanted theirs at noon (the FA came back asking if they meant noon CET or EET), and the rest ate maybe an hour later.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK

Back of the bus
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
So, I followed LGG’s advice to take the out of the platbox view: tried norwegian the other day, and now chose on boarding the last row seat to enjoy the masses of fully booked ARN run.

Edit: newspaper arrived promptly and with a ”welcome back”. Anything else special pampering included nowadays at the back seat?
OH-LGG likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by FFlash
Anything else special pampering included nowadays at the back seat?
My last weeks ARN additional price included extra services were:

One xtra landing and takeoff
3 hrs tarmac travelling at HEL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.