Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 12:18 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Which of course is appalling since the territory never been an integral part of any China and has been legally not-china since 1895.
Which is longer than Finland has not been a part of Russia.
Old May 23, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Originally Posted by intuition
Which of course is appalling since the territory never been an integral part of any China and has been legally not-china since 1895.
Not really - Officially they still are Republic of China, to which Taiwan was returned after the II World War. The PRC was not founded until October 1949, and ROC troops were still fighting on the continent until the 50's. I believe officially (and at least in the dreams of KMT) ROC still claims to be the legitimate government, even though after the UN switched recognition in the 70's they have not been really relevant. This btw is being written in Taipei..
Old May 23, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Also on Taiwan, Air China sells flights to/from Taipei, Taiwan whereas outside they seem to have received the memo from Beijing and Taipei is in "Taiwan, China".
Old May 26, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
This isn't really höpöhöpö, but I don't remember where we discussed this so I hope everyone will notice it here.

Someone was under the impression that AY mostly makes award seats available initially (is it T-330?) and doesn't add award seats to the inventory later on. I objected because I've twice booked award tickets to LPA on a fairly short notice, and I found it hard to believe that such awards would stay open for almost a year before being snatched.

Anyway, this time I have proof that AY does indeed, at least occasionally, open up award seats later on, too. Last October, I used up my last remaining AA miles and booked HEL-LHR-JFK with a terrible connection (because I was inflexible with the date and this was the best option available on my preferred date, save for BA which is out of the question because of the copay), and a return DFW-FCO-HEL with a semi-terrible connection, everything in U = Business. After this, I have occasionally checked AA.com to see if anything better might have opened up. Two days ago, suddenly AY5 was available and I called AA to change my reservation and am now booked on AY5, cutting my travel time in half from almost 17 hours to ~8.5. Very happy with the outcome!
SPBanker likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by ffay005
Anyway, this time I have proof that AY does indeed, at least occasionally, open up award seats later on, too.
I noticed a few weeks ago the same. I was checking for MUC for end of May / beginning of June and only HEL - LHR - MUC was at some days available. Also no chance to get the domestic segment included. Then around 3 weeks before the flight date flights started to pop up. Even with the domestic segment and nice short connection time in HEL.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:57 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ffay005
This isn't really höpöhöpö, but I don't remember where we discussed this so I hope everyone will notice it here.

Someone was under the impression that AY mostly makes award seats available initially (is it T-330?) and doesn't add award seats to the inventory later on. ...
I might have been me, as I did a study on F-availability (ie upgrades, not awards) and found that some destinations always got x seats at say T-330, and then they slowly but steadily disappeared over time.
I did observe a few occasions where availability increased, but in that study I did not find any particular pattern.

But my data is old and most likely not valid any more. Especially these days with "the robot" and all. And again, F availability, not U.

Anyway, here is a graph for AY005 between T-333 and T-1. Based on 4384 data points, but that is not enough and they are not entirely evely distributed either.
You need to look at the bigger picture, the fluctuations are the weekly pattern, ie some weekdays normally has better availability. There is a steady decline until T-216, then comes 4 weeks of small increase. Then a sudden drop and another 4 weeks of small increase. Then data is poor between T-150 and T-60, so that section must be ignored. Last 7 weeks before take-off is reliable data and you can see that 2 seats usually stayed open all the way until takeoff.
Attached Images  
NoWindowSeat and cistavoda like this.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by Gnopps
On busy days Helsinki airport drop-off areas at both terminals can be so full that you can't park your car to drop off your passenger. The areas are full not with cars dropping people off but rather with cars waiting for arriving passengers.

Since there is only paid parking for people waiting in their cars for arriving passengers, these cars instead go to the drop-off area and wait for free - clogging up the area. It is possible to wait at the gas station instead and then drive up when you get a call from your passenger but not enough people do this.

I've written Helsinki airport with the suggestion to:
1. Arrange a mobile phone waiting lot. These can be found at airports around the world and is a free parking area where you have an arrivals board and can wait in your car until the person you're waiting for calls to be picked up.
2. Better enforcing at the drop-off areas when cars are violating the rules. Sometimes you even see empty parked cars at these areas.

This has been a problem at rush hour for years. Anyone else annoyed by this?
Argh, this is still as much a problem as previously. For example this weekend I drove to drop off a passenger and the T1 drop-off area was full with cars just waiting to pick someone up, even empty cars parked there. So cars actually dropping off had to park in the middle of the street, blocking traffic. Sent another suggestion to Finavia with 1. Better policing and 2. Clear waiting spot for picking up passengers.

We'll see if there are any improvements with the HEL remodelling.
Purjelentaja likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Gnopps
Argh, this is still as much a problem as previously. For example this weekend I drove to drop off a passenger and the T1 drop-off area was full with cars just waiting to pick someone up, even empty cars parked there. So cars actually dropping off had to park in the middle of the street, blocking traffic. Sent another suggestion to Finavia with 1. Better policing and 2. Clear waiting spot for picking up passengers.

We'll see if there are any improvements with the HEL remodelling.
At FRA you pay 2,5€ / 15min but if you leave within the first 10 min the fee is waived. So if you go cheap you won't wait long in the drop-off or pick-up areas.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by Jainzar
At FRA you pay 2,5€ / 15min but if you leave within the first 10 min the fee is waived. So if you go cheap you won't wait long in the drop-off or pick-up areas.
At HEL the first 15min is free at the ”pika pysäköinti” quick parkking
Old May 29, 2018, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Sorte
So why not also in the pick-up and drop-off area? For busses and taxis the then required gates can open automatically.
Old May 29, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Sorte

Wonder how many know this...
I wonder also how many wait then for 13 mins and then go around again.

I also wonder if Finavia cares. They would bot like to invest in ”comforts” that has debatable zero income potential. I believe they just ”wait” that people get to know and civilize themselves about waiting outside
Old May 30, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
TK to RVN

Did you guys see this? Turkish Airlines wants to fly to Rovaniemi: Turkish Airlines - 28.05.2018 - Public Disclosures - turkishairlines.com
intuition and remymartin like this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:38 am

I am really happy that LH does not only exclude MC and Visa consumer CCs from paying the OPC but also Amex and DC for tickets starting in the EU.

Maybe someone has an idea why wrote that.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Jainzar
I am really happy that LH does not only exclude MC and Visa consumer CCs from paying the OPC but also Amex and DC for tickets starting in the EU.

Maybe someone has an idea why wrote that.
Wow, that was a lot of acronyms. Please translate
royng likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I guess OPC means credit card purchase fee, but I don't know how it develops ? Online Purchase Cost??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.