Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by FFlash
Don't shoot me when I ask this, but have anyone seen our auzzie-friend on any forums lately? You know, boredom sets in and you start looking for fairy tales and that...
I'd look here

Finnair within Europe. Vienna to Finland cheaper on Business class?
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:53 am

Just for curiousity. What happens if you volunteer when AY have overbooked?
Flew AY144 the other day, prior to departure I received a mail where they mentioned the flight being overbooked and volunteers should let them know at check-in. I were not in a situation where I I could have volunteered, but I'm still curious what they offer those volunteers. Re-routing, change of departure date, economic compensation? Anyone with experience in volunteering?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:09 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Basically all the above could be on the table, depending on the situation. Impossible to say as every case is different but reroute / later (or in rare cases earlier) flight are of course always in there. Money comes in soon if no volunteers found easily.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Just read but think it is not her but her cousin
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by seldomrfly
Just for curiousity. What happens if you volunteer when AY have overbooked?
I’ve volunteered a few times but still have gotten on the original flight. You still have to go to the gate and then tell the gate agent that you’ve volunteered. The gate agent will either tell that the flight is no longer oversold or explain the rerouting options and the compensation related to them. The compensation amounts can be found at http://media.finnair.com/files/pdf/t...lans_FI_EN.pdf. If you accept you will have to wait until everyone else has boarded and if there’s still room on the plane, you won’t be rerouted.

Last edited by r2d2; Mar 10, 2018 at 11:45 am
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by r2d2

I’ve volunteered a few times but still have gotten on the original flight. You still have to go to the gate and then tell the gate agent that you’ve volunteered. The gate agent will either tell that the flight is no longer oversold or explain the rerouting options and the compensation related to them. The compensation amounts can be found at http://media.finnair.com/files/pdf/t...lans_FI_EN.pdf. If you accept you will have to wait until everyone else has boarded and if there’s still room on the plane, you won’t be rerouted.
Thanks! Didn't know about those compensations. If I knew I might have been tempted to volunteer, staying one more night in BKK for 300€/500€ voucher/60000p would actually have been quite OK.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by seldomrfly
Thanks! Didn't know about those compensations. If I knew I might have been tempted to volunteer, staying one more night in BKK for 300€/500€ voucher/60000p would actually have been quite OK.
I never got the concept of volunteers being paid less than less than involuntary. These are fairly stingy amounts to entice people to give up a seat voluntarily.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I never got the concept of volunteers being paid less than less than involuntary. These are fairly stingy amounts to entice people to give up a seat voluntarily.
The sums are large enough to find volunteers so there is no need to pay more. I personally find the deals really good in cases where I would lose only some free time by volunteering. The reroutings I’ve been offered would have caused me only minor inconvenience so I would have been happy to take a few hundred euros in exchange. The people who value their time more don’t volunteer and that’s the whole idea of asking for volunteers.
LoungeEnthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: finnair plus platinum
Seat changes

I have tomorrow flights BKK-HEL-LHR and I booked flights and booked seats at least 6 months ago.
Now when I did online check in my seat from 1A was changed to 4F on London flight.
Seat was still 1A last week and wondering why this happened (never before for me) and am I able to change it back at check in desk.I am Finnair platinum last 4 years.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

The sums are large enough to find volunteers so there is no need to pay more. I personally find the deals really good in cases where I would lose only some free time by volunteering. The reroutings I’ve been offered would have caused me only minor inconvenience so I would have been happy to take a few hundred euros in exchange. The people who value their time more don’t volunteer and that’s the whole idea of asking for volunteers.
I have volunteered at times, and usually the offer has been higher than this. But true, if statistics show that this generally solves the problems, it is difficult to make a business case if increasing the amounts. I'd the amounts are not bad, but not good either

However. It is far easier and quicker for the gate staff to deal with a voluntary denied boarding, eg. they can hold the luggage so it does not cause delay finding it later. And for helping the airline achieve this, they cut the payment. I am sure if more people were aware of this condition the pick up on these amounts would be lower.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels

So if you volunteer online, it doesn't mean that you have to accept anything AY will suggest – you can still negotiate and then decide whether to actually volunteer or not?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
So if you volunteer online, it doesn't mean that you have to accept anything AY will suggest – you can still negotiate and then decide whether to actually volunteer or not?
Exactly. And neither do they have to reroute you: if you don’t contact the gate agent early enough they will start looking for other volunteers through announcements.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by finnishlad
I have tomorrow flights BKK-HEL-LHR and I booked flights and booked seats at least 6 months ago.
Now when I did online check in my seat from 1A was changed to 4F on London flight.
Seat was still 1A last week and wondering why this happened (never before for me) and am I able to change it back at check in desk.I am Finnair platinum last 4 years.
I don’t have too much experience this in the J due to my small amount of J flights. However in Y this seem to happen from time to time. For example tomorrow I have a short day trip to ARL and after I purchased tickets I always select the first Y row aisle seat as I did for this one. No when I made check-in it seems that J has been expanded I’m pushed to some Ö row and window seat in the back. Not too happy as I wanted to secure fast exit from the plane after arrival. Maybe need to give some feedback to AY. I think they should let passenger to know soonest the pre-selected seat has been changed to avoid disappointments.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Tapio

I have a short day trip to ARL
Short day trip to Burkina Faso, great!

I check once or twice a week all my upcoming flights due to change of aircraft and C class curtain movements.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
One obvious thing for AY to do would be to send an automated email saying "your seat selection is no longer valid, please check".

In Y, I never choose the 1–2 first rows for this reason. Actually, for ARN daytrips I'm in the habit of choosing exit row because I usually have a bag, and need to board very early, because the overheads fill up fast on these flights. Which in turn means I'll spend maybe 70 minutes in that seat.

While I won't deplane among the first, it doesn't really take more than a minute more, at most, to deplane from row 10 or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.