Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold
On my last flight from NRT to HEL there were some Japanese ladies that were very excited about flying business. They were talking about how they could sell the business class Marimekko pouch for 5000 yen online, then they tried to steal the pouches from empty seats and sleeping passengers. The Japanese flight attendant had to tell them to stop...
Old May 16, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by MagmaH
On my last flight from NRT to HEL there were some Japanese ladies that were very excited about flying business. They were talking about how they could sell the business class Marimekko pouch for 5000 yen online, then they tried to steal the pouches from empty seats and sleeping passengers. The Japanese flight attendant had to tell them to stop...
So it's not only AvGeeks who like to collect amenity kits.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:47 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Lappe
CX typically is accommodating on these shuttle routes - also CX I is usually flex. They might proactively offer an earlier flight when running late enough, which seems common.
Yeah, that has happened to me.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AY Platinum
and sleeping passengers
What the hell? I mean I could still understand taking unused kits from empty seats (I wouldn't, though), but this? AND it was Japanese people behaving like this??
Old May 16, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by heatsink
AND it was Japanese people behaving like this??
It amazes me too. I haven't been to Japan but the Japanese I've interacted with are the most polite ethnicity I've ever met.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:59 pm

stealing from sleeping passengers is ...well..stealing.

But where can I get 5k JPY for marimekko? I've like 20 of those at home in plastic wrap.
Old May 16, 2017, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Taobao.

But forget the 5000円 They sell at ¥40
https://world.taobao.com/item/544779....myFNH0#detail
Old May 17, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
It amazes me too. I haven't been to Japan but the Japanese I've interacted with are the most polite ethnicity I've ever met.
Japanese house wifes on a group tour that paid extra for a business upgrade (they did not buy a business ticket from the start).

You would be amazed what some Japanese would do in order to get money and/or status items. I guess the Marimekko pouches has a high status value since you actually have to fly J to get them. They sell for 3000-5000 yen on second hand markets online.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE), NH Super Flyers & Platinum (SAG), DL Gold Medallion (STE+)
Originally Posted by intuition
Taobao.

But forget the 5000円 They sell at ¥40
https://world.taobao.com/item/544779....myFNH0#detail
¥40 is RMB (CNY), right?

https://item.mercari.com/jp/m73070336589/
https://item.mercari.com/jp/m24455933752/
Old May 18, 2017, 12:45 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yup, I meant Y for Yuan - "people's money".

Y is sometimes used for 円 Yen too (despite it being pronounced 'En'), so slightly confusing here.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
¥ has been used for JPY () for as long as I remember. I was actually quite surprised when I saw the same sign used for CNY for the first time. More often I see RMB used in latin scripts.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; May 18, 2017 at 2:31 am
Old May 18, 2017, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Bose headphones in longhaul C

Can anyone confirm which version of the Bose QuietComfort is in AY's longhaul C? QC 25 or QC35? And how/if they differ from the plain vanilla version commercially available in retail? The plug is obvious, I'm thinking more of their noise cancellation performance (vs commercial) and sound quality.

I am asking this, because I'm a bit underwhelmed with their NC performance, especially with all the hype Bose gets also here on FT. (I have the older QC15 version) My Sony MDR-1000X beats the onboard Bose on both counts.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE), NH Super Flyers & Platinum (SAG), DL Gold Medallion (STE+)
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
It depends on the situation, but middle-aged travellers especially in a group show such a rude or shameless attitude, as MagmaH reported. I was not surprised to see the post but I feel a little ashamed.

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
¥ has been used for JPY () for as long as I remember. I was actually quite surprised when I saw the same sign used for CNY for the first time. More often I see RMB used in latin scripts.
As intuition mentioned, it origibally came from the common character (円 Yen /圆 or 圓 Yuan), yet the pronunciation is a slightly different. The symbol is quite confusing.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
According to Blue Wings, as of mid-May AY is partnering up with Alaska Airlines. No idea what it will mean in practice. Any possible sweet spots there?
Old May 19, 2017, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by lkrt
According to Blue Wings, as of mid-May AY is partnering up with Alaska Airlines. No idea what it will mean in practice. Any possible sweet spots there?
Well that could mean you could earn AS miles on AY flights to use on other great airlines. The MileagePlan program is pretty lucrative so it could mean good stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.