Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:56 am

Programs: * Alliance Gold, oneworld Emerald, Marriott Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Since this is höpöhöpö, I can tell that our youngest recently turned 18, and is very worried about traveling without access to lounges etc. I have created a monster!
Gift idea. T-shirt with printed photo of Finnair economy class seat with text below " My throne 58Ö".
Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:58 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Jaenks
Gift idea. T-shirt with printed photo of Finnair economy class seat with text below " My throne 58Ö".
👍 with kalsari-emoji sitting in it. With beerhat is an idiotapproved version of it
Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by intuition
Continuing guessing, this job will be an extremely difficult one, as the role will need to fight all other stakeholders from a subordinate postition. They call it "mid-senior level" but the responsibilities list assistant stuff.
"Previous experience with Moccamaster equipment is required" ?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/05...g?v=1621278676
Old Mar 17, 2022, 6:18 am

I have a upcoming flight from MAD-ARN with IB and then ARN-HEL AY with separate tickets. Business class both. Will IB check my bags all the way through to HEL if i ask them to?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 6:23 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by joorinainen
I have a upcoming flight from MAD-ARN with IB and then ARN-HEL AY with separate tickets. Business class both. Will IB check my bags all the way through to HEL if i ask them to?
This is not very recent, but they have checked my bags in a similar situation. Years ago, though.
joorinainen likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 6:38 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by ffay005
I'm in a sort of tricky situation here. The hotel in SIN is a lot cheaper if I book a nonrefundalbe rate. My flight is three weeks from now, 05APR. And AY has already amended the schedule, adding in extra flight time and thus a new arrival time at SIN. So I have all the reason to believe that they intend to operate the flight. But dare I book a nonrefundable hotel rate? I've stuck to refundable rates only during covid, but the saving is substantial...
Easy. Just make an estimate of the chances you have to pass on the booked non-refundable room.

Suppose, you estimate it to be a 10% chance. With 10 times this bet, you "know" one time, you will lose the money for the booking. If the difference between fully refundable and non-refundable for those 10 times is more than the missed bet of one non-refundable, you'de better always go for the non-refundable. This also scales back to just one occasion. If the refundable is double the price of a non-refundable, and you estimate the cancel chance to be (significantly, it still is just guessing) lower than 50%, go for the non-refundable.

Not to say, make an estimate, whether you expect rooms to be available at the latest moment. IF you do expect sufficient availability, just book (online of course), just a couple of hours before arrival, and you don't have the non-refundable issue and often can get excellent rates for better rooms/locations. It does require strong nerves to deal with the uncertainly and not something to do with older people, or kids. Hotel rooms are a perishable good, so hotels will do what ever needed to put somebody in the room.

Oh, never walk in a hotel to get a room, even when at the doorstep, book online, it'll be a huge price difference with the walk-in rate.

And, when you are prepared to call off a trip, when the last minute pricing is too high, you may even try this with tickets.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:13 am

This is not very recent, but they have checked my bags in a similar situation. Years ago, though.
Thanks. I have done this with star alliance few times without problems but not with OW. Not the exact same route though.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:00 am

Well, I took the risk now. The price was good and (as opposed to yesterday!), breakfast was included. At least pre-covid, it was a very good breakfast. Fingers crossed!
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:38 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by joorinainen
Thanks. I have done this with star alliance few times without problems but not with OW. Not the exact same route though.
OW has some kind of alliance rule not to do it. Some airlines does it anyway, but it is not the general rule.
joorinainen likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:35 am

Programs: Onko teillä S-etukorttia?
Uh oh, looks like another Helsinki airport run scheduled for me.
25mins (including taxi and deplane) to get from nose to 5 🤦‍♂️
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:36 am

I'm "enjoying" a 26h stay at HEL Hilton due to missed connection to VAA.
Not much seemed to be working at HEL yesterday. Transfer security a complete mess, even if we have landed on time we had needed +1,5h time to transfer to domestic flight. Two lines transfer security open, neither working properly, there was DXB and DEL transfers waiting. Avia guys claimed the scanning machines had some problems, AY transfer desk told it was due to corona so they didn't have staff for transfer security. A mess to find and take out luggage for the involuntary layover, AY staff blaming new ground handling company.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:12 am

Sounds horrible. If transfer security was such a mess, you could have exited at HEL and re-entered via Priority security for your VAA flight. How much time did you actually have between landing and departure?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:36 am

Sounds horrible. If transfer security was such a mess, you could have exited at HEL and re-entered via Priority security for your VAA flight. How much time did you actually have between landing and departure?
We had missed the connection anyway. - 6min from our arrival to VAA departure. Was re-scheduled to next day already when we landed. But still a bit surprised VAA didn't wait, since it was last flight for +24hrs. We were at least 9 pax, probably more.
Transfer desk did not offer anything but Hotel and Alepa vouchers. They do not arrange ground transport such as Taxi or VR. I could have taken a Taxi myself, and later tried to claim the cost from AY I was told.
Well, let's see how the EC261 goes. The delay from DXB on app. 1h was caused by a puking child. They decided to deboard just after pushback, luggage unloading took a while. They might claim this is an extraordinary event. (But in this case only one factor of several to why we are sitting in HEL for +24hrs)
​​​​​
Old Mar 18, 2022, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
This is nothing extraordinary, you should pursue the EU261 route.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by seldomrfly
Well, let's see how the EC261 goes. The delay from DXB on app. 1h was caused by a puking child. They decided to deboard just after pushback, luggage unloading took a while. They might claim this is an extraordinary event. (But in this case only one factor of several to why we are sitting in HEL for +24hrs)​​​​​
Since AY didn't offer rebooking on VR, I don't think that AY took all reasonable measures to avoid the delay. Even if the puking child was an extraordinary circumstance, the additional delay caused by the refusal to rebook on VR is probably eligible for compensation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.