Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:43 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by FFlash
robbers…😂

they say in the end part ”miles are a genius currency for airlines where they cannot lose”…well yeah, it was taught in school that printing money leads to inflation but what nobody tells is the fact that inflation is good for the who prints the money and controls it but bad for the plebs😄😄

so, legal robbery continues
So when is the bank heist planning DO?
FFlash, Steve_Hun and strx like this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:54 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by cistavoda
So when is the bank heist planning DO?
Hey, I am just a pleb! But if you own a printing machine now, I am in! I dont care if it prints money or boarding passes, I will take them.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 1:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Fortunately or unfortunately the 'printing miles for banks' business model for airlines has not taken off: credit cards in Europe earn very little for banks due to EU caps on the commission for personal credit cards and the very low apetite for credit card debt by the average EU consumer (thank god).
Old Jan 4, 2022, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Fortunately or unfortunately the 'printing miles for banks' business model for airlines has not taken off: credit cards in Europe earn very little for banks due to EU caps on the commission for personal credit cards and the very low apetite for credit card debt by the average EU consumer (thank god).
Curious, how does it all work in the US?

I have no knowledge about the american system other than I understand you are a dead man if you dont have a credit card, and your value as a human being is measured on CC rating
Old Jan 4, 2022, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Curious, how does it all work in the US?

I have no knowledge about the american system other than I understand you are a dead man if you dont have a credit card, and your value as a human being is measured on CC rating
The main driver of profit for credit card companies in the US is that a lot of people use revolving payments, which is an easy to get yet expensive line of credit. That basically pays for the party.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The main driver of profit for credit card companies in the US is that a lot of people use revolving payments, which is an easy to get yet expensive line of credit. That basically pays for the party.
I dont get this. While I understand it is okay to take credit/debt if you can offset it somewhere else better, I dont understand what is the point of living in a revolving due ”velkakierre in finnish” (unless U know you are gonna die soon and live the last hours overspending and leaving the bill to others&#128556. Somebody is stupid here…not me…(I am just ay-idiot)
Old Jan 4, 2022, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I dont get this. While I understand it is okay to take credit/debt if you can offset it somewhere else better, I dont understand what is the point of living in a revolving due ”velkakierre in finnish” (unless U know you are gonna die soon and live the last hours overspending and leaving the bill to others&#128556. Somebody is stupid here…not me…(I am just ay-idiot)
I don't disagree that the revolving payment is a terrible line of credit to use. But fact is, people do it a lot in the US, and that's why there can profitably be so many credit card benefits
Old Jan 4, 2022, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I dont get this
Somebody is stupid here…not me…
Blame it on the US educational system (financial analphabets) + consumerism ("I want it all, I want it now" as the late Mr Mercury put it)

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I don't disagree that the revolving payment is a terrible line of credit to use. But fact is, people do it a lot in the US, and that's why there can profitably be so many credit card benefits
Yes, the dumb ones finance the clever ones' perks
CPH-Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 5:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

The commission earned on all transactions is about 2-3% for Visa/MC (EU: 0.3%) and 4.5% for Amex, so with every transaction they give you some of their commission back in form of points. That pays for the miles. The fun (for the bank) starts when people can't pay for the charges to the CC and 'carry a balance', ie pay 10-20% interest on the balance. The average american adult carried 6200$ of such debt in 2019. https://www.cnbc.com/select/average-...ance-by-state/

Europeans use different debt options like the equally stupid 'buy now pay later' system that Klarna offers or a line of credit/overdraft in your giro account. Credit cards are usually set up to be paid in full at the end of the month.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 5:51 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The modern day usurers. It is always those who can't afford stuff that ends up paying way too much for it.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 7:05 am

Well, my mother always taught me never to live beyond my means, ie if you can afford it, you don't buy it. I guess I'm old school that way
Old Jan 4, 2022, 7:19 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Well, my mother always taught me never to live beyond my means, ie if you can afford it, you don't buy it. I guess I'm old school that way
Well, I was told "never put yourself into debt", and I think the closest to a creditcard in the house was a petrol card. Which I guess created a foundation for a healthy (stingy says my SO ) relationship with money.

Anyway, I was mostly reflecting over the poverty-trap in these financing schemes, mostly used by the ill afforded.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
If /r/antiwork is any guidance, the US system is designed to force the poorest or most vulnerable people to take on debt just to survive. This extracts even more perks for the rich from the backs of the poor. It's a good system for the debt-free and rich, as the poorest class basically sets the parameters of the system such that the system just barely keeps them alive but otherwise completely enslaved in awful contracts. These parameters keep the rich safe for their entire lives. E.g. landlords keeping the rent at the maximum % of income such that the tenant just barely stays alive and has to even live on debt a little bit all the while banks refusing these people mortgages forcing them to rent for their lives, even if the mortgage payments would be lower than the rent. It's a good system to those who own the houses.

There was a post the other day where a billionaire owner asked his manager what is the best type of employee. The answer according to the billionaire is someone with financial obligations, debt, mortgage, and or a family, as they can be trapped in bad contracts due to desperation and they work hard because their survival depends on it. Another post claimed a car dealer owner got his dealers to buy cars they can't afford, because afterwards the dealers worked day and night to make their payments - and fat income streams to the owner scalping from the work in the process. Offering Universal Basic Income would afford employees to select jobs and tilt the power of balance from owners to the workers. Capitalism is a system that works for those who own the means of production. Nothing will be done to change this power dynamic. The best is regulated capitalism and regulated finance industry as we see in e.g. the nordic countries, while in the us capitalism and power is too unregulated. With proper regulation the 2008 finance crisis would have been avoided, but the interests of the rich outweighed the interests of the masses in US capitalism.
intuition and FFlash like this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Well, over 20 years ago I had a job where many of my colleagues were based in the US. They made almost the same in USD as I made in FIM, something between 200 000 and 300 000 a year. Still these guys had huge debt, including a lot of credit card debt. They just had the American need of showing off and lived a more lavish lifestyle than they could afford. It was always a horror to have lunch with them, as they always insisted on going to restaurants where a simple lunch cost $80 (they didn't understand the Finnish daily allowance system where you have to pay for you meals yourself on business trips).
Gnopps, intuition and FFlash like this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by zxcv1
Another post claimed a car dealer owner got his dealers to buy cars they can't afford, because afterwards the dealers worked day and night to make their payments - and fat income streams to the owner scalping from the work in the process..
Happens here as well😄 I discussed some time back with a sales director and asked him how does he make his sales reps excel. He responded he just takes them on luxury car and boat shops etc and grows their luxury appetite and wants…okay while powerful method, I wouldnt like to work for hjm😅
(and in the same controversy, I want to fly First class every week😬😬&#128556
intuition likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.