Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2021, 12:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ffay005
That must have been it! What makes OS fly A321 between TLL and VIE? Interesting.
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Some OS aircrafts use TLL maintenance services and stored in TLL.
2 A320 and A321 were stored in TLL, one A321 is being reactivated for summer duty: https://sites.google.com/site/lhgroupfleet/austrian
ffay005 likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 2:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

No höpö höpö filter on some people....

Old May 27, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by AirFrance Finland
AIR FRANCE RESTARTS FLIGHTS FROM HELSINKI

We are happy to announce that as from July 6 we are restarting flights between Helsinki and Paris. Unlocking Paris and over 1000 other destinations around the world.
I wonder how that works. Did they even ever fly to/from Helsinki?
Old May 27, 2021, 9:12 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Did they even ever fly to/from Helsinki?
Yes, about 20 years ago they had two dailies. They were replaced with the codeshares on AY.
Old May 27, 2021, 10:56 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
So what does this mean, AF metal to HEL?
Old May 27, 2021, 11:56 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by r2d2
Yes, about 20 years ago they had two dailies. They were replaced with the codeshares on AY.
Oct 2001 according to the article so you are indeed correct.

So what does this mean, AF metal to HEL?
Seems to be the case:

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...fter-20-years/
Old May 27, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Well, I'll definitely say bienvenue to AF, but this has to be one of the weirdest additions to their network unless they've gotten into some argument with AY and the codeshare is coming to an end.
Old May 27, 2021, 1:09 pm

Well, I'll definitely say bienvenue to AF, but this has to be one of the weirdest additions to their network unless they've gotten into some argument with AY and the codeshare is coming to an end.
AF is still selling the code share flights for the time being, and I can't imagine that 4 weeklies would suffice to feed their CDG hub (after Covid).

Time will tell, I guess.
Old May 27, 2021, 11:42 pm

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
AY domestic codeshares must be big for AF. I'm seeing transfer passengers very often on their domestic codeshares.
Old May 27, 2021, 11:50 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
The AF-codeshare on AY HEL-CDG has been an interesting one. Though I have no official info, what I've been able to gather over the years was that it was a hard block on the seats. Meaning AF pre-bought XX seats on the AY-plane as if they were flying it themselves. This meant that the seats could be completely sold out on AY-code but plenty available with AF-code (or vice-versa). I assume this also mean that if for example AY overbooked their allotment then they had to buy a seat from AF, and that if AF was overbooked in economy then an AF-passenger would be op-uped to business (not an AY-passenger). When flying the flight AF-coded, I received miles to a third party FFP with no problem.
TPJ likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:12 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Gnopps
This meant that the seats could be completely sold out on AY-code but plenty available with AF-code (or vice-versa). I assume this also mean that if for example AY overbooked their allotment then they had to buy a seat from AF, and that if AF was overbooked in economy then an AF-passenger would be op-uped to business (not an AY-passenger). When flying the flight AF-coded, I received miles to a third party FFP with no problem.
Interesting information and would explain my first op-up 16 years back when I flew to US on cheapest possible fare from AF. Plane locked rather empty but there I was in J sipping champagne bit clueless on what happened (gate op-up so did not even realized it before ending up in front of the curtain). Funnily enough, I have never been op-upped by AY, even though career of (too seldom) op-ups started on AY metal
Old May 28, 2021, 1:01 am

When AY broke up with LH (LH went for SK) AF tried to tie up AY with them. A code-share pact was announced at least in the Blue wings. It was cancelled before it began because AY had found BA to AF’s disliking. Few years later in 2001 the code-share flights were finally started. In the begining of 2000’s AY co-operated with everyone. Apart from OW airlines with AF, OK, SU, LO, LX, SR, TP, SN, OS, Rossiya, Air Littoral among others. Only SU and AF have remained.
Old May 28, 2021, 1:28 am

Since AF and AY are from two camps (ST and OW), they are allowed only a few limited options to codeshare, buying a fixed amount of seats on every flight is among that. AF and OS had a similar deal on CDG-VIE for some reason. SK and LH had an arrangement to revenue share Nordic-Germany (including KF HEL-Germany) for about 10 years. The late 90s and early 00s created quite a few oddities.
Old May 28, 2021, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Those were the days - flying TP on SN code and earning AY points
ffay005 likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Gnopps
The AF-codeshare on AY HEL-CDG has been an interesting one. Though I have no official info, what I've been able to gather over the years was that it was a hard block on the seats.
I don't know if it was hard or soft block, and it might have been renegotiated. But it is obvious from the pricing that it was some kind of bulk seat purchase. Otherwise, the price differences wouldn't make much sense, with AF regularly cheaper than AY (compare insane prices for BA codes on direct HEL<->LHR by AY).

FWIW, a few years back, somebody linked an AF business intern's master thesis mentioning that the deal with Finnair as a seat block. (I did not save the link though.)

(Did not expect the discussion to go this big. Maybe should be spun out.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.