FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1701018-finnair-hoepoe-hoepoe-nonsense-thread.html)

miamiflyer8 May 24, 2019 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by niksal (Post 31135801)
Real kids or your and Erica’s kids? I’ve never had any problems getting two champers and two cokes when travelling with the family.

I've seen different ways too.

Policy seems to be one drink for the member and their companion but whether this is enforced YMMV.

FFlash May 25, 2019 1:31 am

Originally Posted by niksal (Post 31135801)
Real kids or your and Erica’s kids? I’ve never had any problems getting two champers and two cokes when travelling with the family.

I think the rule was you+companion so strictly only one+1 drink which obviously FA followed and I was fine not to argue, why should I if that is a rule.

And it was me+friend and my son&his son

niksal May 25, 2019 1:54 am

I think some of the FAs think it’s companionS. Had a few months ago a flight to TFS with 3 colleagues and we all got free champagne with my plat. I guess I have been lucky in this regard!

r2d2 May 25, 2019 5:35 am

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 31133577)
I thought anyone based in HEL flying black out of ownnpocket would hang on this pervert forum.

I've got plenty of colleagues and friends who make Plat out of their own pocket and none of them are on FT. It really seems that like OH-LGG once said, Plat is nowadays a real every mans card, and there's only and handful of actives here on the AY+ forum.

intuition May 25, 2019 6:18 am

Originally Posted by r2d2 (Post 31137268)
...Plat is nowadays a real every mans card, and there's only and handful of actives here on the AY+ forum.

With this notion, I must ask howcome?
Tier requirements in points havne't changed for a very long time. Requirements in segments have been lowered, but everyone here says segment requirements are much more difficult than points anyway, so that shouldn't drive an influx.
Earnings have also not changed substatially, perhaps the major change (still many years ago) is 25% earning have become very rare, and there is a decent possibility to earn 100% on cheaper econ tickets.
Last factor, average flying by each member I assume have gone up but, but not enough to account for a massive influx to make it a everymans card.

So what is the reason platinum gone from a rarity to a everymans card, in FT'ers opinion?

Aviating May 25, 2019 7:25 am

More flying in general, especially LH flying.

I remember from a long time ago when I earned my Silver with intra Nordic flying, some eco and some biz. It took quite a while to achieve, but was doable. Domestic if I recall correctly did not first score anything. Only when I started to fly LH, I relatively quickly gained first Gold and Plat right away when it became available.

So even then LH was the key. At that time the only AY LH were JFK and TYO. And now there is so many direct LH flights every day which people can take, so no surprise that Plats are increasing in number...

intuition May 25, 2019 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Aviating (Post 31137399)

Yeah, that is my take on it too.

But sifting through "everyone" I know, it is hard to find anyone flying frequently enough to reach a tier.
Yes, people fly more overall and fly more scheduled (ie non-charter) these days. But I can't find anyone in my widest circle that would fly several longhauls every year.
The most frequent one at work, flies every now and then to Spain and UK for a game, a musical, a pub-tour et.c. But he flies Norwegian and uses their creditcard for a loyalty program. I think this very typical for the "new" frequent flyers. They are never going to be platinum of a legacy carrier.

Another one at work said
"You know, I am doing like you! I am going to Thailand for the weekend"

I said Really?! but it turned out her FA friend got her something like ID90 tickets and she sat the jump seat to BKK....
So not really earning platinum there either.

on22cz May 25, 2019 11:25 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 (Post 31136526)
I've seen different ways too.

Policy seems to be one drink for the member and their companion but whether this is enforced YMMV.

I have also seen different ways. From crews offering an extra drink to those charging for tonic in G&T combo. While the former is extremely rare, the average experience leans closer to the latter. It is somewhat penny wise, pound foolish to charge you for coke that comes along with whisky, but at the same time allowing you to pull out a separate bottle of champagne (and a sandwich) for the lucky neighbour. I know it is difficult to draw the line, however, the crews definitely have some freedom. Staying reasonable on both sides makes for a better flight experience.
I have actually found myself usually politely declining refill / extra offer, while being charged whenever ordering anything extra from my own initiative. Bad timing, I know.

FFlash May 25, 2019 12:45 pm

So Plat is a card of idiots and everymen nowadays. Not the card of subject people like AYs ;) since I just listened AY reps talking between themselves at AY golf event(thanks AY!) how they maybe get silver this year etc. Talks where I cold hear how tgey understood really nothing about loyalty game :D

miamiflyer8 May 25, 2019 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by on22cz (Post 31137855)
I have actually found myself usually politely declining refill / extra offer, while being charged whenever ordering anything extra from my own initiative. Bad timing, I know.

Which brings me to the comparison of SK who clearly states drinks are included for Diamond and four family members, and refills are unlimited.

on22cz May 25, 2019 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 (Post 31138064)
Which brings me to the comparison of SK who clearly states drinks are included for Diamond and four family members, and refills are unlimited.

Good you mentioned this. I discussed with SK crew who told me Diamond would have unlimited drinks, Pandion also snacks. I didn't mention it as I though it may have been same "misinterpretation" of rules by the crew as we see with AY if there is a refill offer. And yes, I like SK's BoB offer. It is also nice that in Plus you get anything from the menu included in your fare. Which reminds me how AY once tried to charge me when in J and ordering a smoothie or what it was...

_ra_ May 25, 2019 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by niksal (Post 31136964)
I think some of the FAs think it’s companionS. Had a few months ago a flight to TFS with 3 colleagues and we all got free champagne with my plat. I guess I have been lucky in this regard!

So far I’ve never had an FA charge me anything when flying with the entire family. Two champers and three sodas have always been OK.

r2d2 May 25, 2019 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Aviating (Post 31137399)

That's also my assumption. To elaborate:
1) As flying long haul has become so common, there are more and more people who get bitten by the bug and start flying several long hauls a year. The reasons may vary: some might like the flights themselves, but for many it's about tourism
2) Cost-wise, Plat is on the reach for almost everyone. This makes Plat an everyman's card: everyone who wants it, can get it
3) Most of the people don't think logically regarding the loyalty benefits and they are willing to spend relatively much to reach a tier, even though the real value of the tier benefits would be lower than the money spent on reaching the tier. This brings also the DYKWIA factor in the picture: you can get the feeling that you are above most of the fellow passengers

CPH-Flyer May 25, 2019 8:46 pm

Not being too familiar with AY+ as my OW membership is with JAL, how many Y long haul flights does it require to make Plat? Looking at AA or BA, while not too bad to get OWE, unless you throw in some cheap long haul J, read QR sales, it does require a lot of flying to reach the goal.

niksal May 25, 2019 10:40 pm

I’m a bit surprised by this discussion. Plat is still a 150k points. A value-segment on longhaul is 8k for a non-status member. So we are talking close to 20 segments in longhaul to make plat. I know nobody that would ever consider flying that much on their own money. This can probably be done for what, 5-6k€? Hardly again something ”every man” does?

76 segments is also not something ”every man” does.

We also need to define ”your own pocket”. I guess some of these are entrepreneurs who consider their business travel to be paid by themselves. Right or wrong, I don’t think that is what is meant in this discussion. I would rather ask how many earn plat purely by leisure travel? I would argue this is extremely rare and certainly not “every man”.

I don’t think plat is that common. Business travel has increased, but I predict that will change now with the green thinking. My employer is considering a policy where internal travel is forbidden - meetings must be via video. Just as an example. What I can agree with is that more private travel, especially LH, happens in business class. This is due to prices and people having more money to spend. But again, most private persons do this max once a year, if not once in a lifetime. Not enough to earn plat.