Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Reply

Old Feb 19, 19, 2:37 pm
  #3271  
Ambassador: Finnair
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Plat, BA Silver, HHonors/Carlson Gold
Posts: 3,282
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
I'd give a Burnsian 'Excellent' for this:
Door 1 -> F
Door 2 -> J
Y do tarmac boarding via door 4
Or AY style for many LHs, at least now during the construction (which might never catch up with the traffic expansion...but that's another story) and everybody do tarmac boarding = mad dash via 2L after 30mins in the bus.
NoWindowSeat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 19, 12:50 am
  #3272  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: HEL
Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), Accor Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Posts: 1,465
Originally Posted by lkrt View Post
Newspapers on the Nordic Sky shorthaul wifi portal are now chargeable. The entire newspaper magazine set costs 2100 points or 6 euros. Still free for Plats, Lumos and J passengers, you must log in into the portal. In line with the previous policy, but still somewhat surprising.
And it's official: as of 1 March 2019 there will be no printed newspapers on (most) SH flights. I guess most refers to all A32S flights, while E90 flights might get to keep their newspapers?
lkrt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 19, 1:32 am
  #3273  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by lkrt View Post
And it's official: as of 1 March 2019 there will be no printed newspapers on (most) SH flights. I guess most refers to all A32S flights, while E90 flights might get to keep their newspapers?
Ouch.... I’m 25 and considered to be one of the digital generation. However I do not like this development at all. I like my paper in hand...
EuroFlash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 19, 1:42 am
  #3274  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: HEL
Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), Accor Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Posts: 1,465
Originally Posted by EuroFlash View Post
Ouch.... I’m 25 and considered to be one of the digital generation. However I do not like this development at all. I like my paper in hand...
Exactly. Hate to scroll the pdf version across the small screen of a smartphone.
lkrt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 19, 1:51 am
  #3275  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 36,213
Originally Posted by lkrt View Post
And it's official: as of 1 March 2019 there will be no printed newspapers on (most) SH flights. I guess most refers to all A32S flights, while E90 flights might get to keep their newspapers?
Dream on. You think Norra, who is barely scraping by will load newsprint when the operating airline doesn't require it???
ffay005 likes this.
oliver2002 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 19, 1:54 am
  #3276  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT + hotels
Posts: 3,368
I wonder how much AY will save in fuel costs when they don't have to carry newspapers anymore.
ffay005 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 19, 1:59 am
  #3277  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: HEL
Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), Accor Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Posts: 1,465
Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
I wonder how much AY will save in fuel costs when they don't have to carry newspapers anymore.
I doubt the weight will be any less with new wifi access points and server in place. But the logistical costs of shuffling newspapers around will save a few dimes.
lkrt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 19, 2:04 am
  #3278  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 36,213
Lufthansa moved to ejournals some time ago... the consultants who flog this idea must be touring Europe.

The logistics of the newsprint is quite substantial and the left behind magazines create quite a bit of waste which slows down turnaround times. That said its rather stupid to eliminate it. Taking out the overhead IFE in the A320 or squeezing in one more more slimline seat row would be easier.
oliver2002 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 19, 2:10 am
  #3279  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT + hotels
Posts: 3,368
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Taking out the overhead IFE in the A320 ...
Oh, I hope they get rid of those screens! They're nothing but an annoyance. It would be a different thing if they showed something sensible, and you could plug in your headphones to hear the soundtrack.
ffay005 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 19, 2:47 am
  #3280  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: AY Plat
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by lkrt View Post
And it's official: as of 1 March 2019 there will be no printed newspapers on (most) SH flights. I guess most refers to all A32S flights, while E90 flights might get to keep their newspapers?
This is bad news. We discussed this earlier when they removed newspapers from LH. I will never read any newspaper or magazine from a screen. During take-off and landing, what is better than IS/HS/KL?
LoungeEnthusiast likes this.
Ukki is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 19, 3:23 am
  #3281  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: C2
Programs: AY Lumo, A3 Gold, TK Elite Plus
Posts: 535
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Lufthansa moved to ejournals some time ago... the consultants who flog this idea must be touring Europe.

The logistics of the newsprint is quite substantial and the left behind magazines create quite a bit of waste which slows down turnaround times. That said its rather stupid to eliminate it. Taking out the overhead IFE in the A320 or squeezing in one more more slimline seat row would be easier.
I always thought the selection of newspaper you can take before boarding LH flights is actually provided by LH, not airports. At least in December it was still like this. Maybe e-journals were also available, but that I didn't care of.

Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
Oh, I hope they get rid of those screens! They're nothing but an annoyance. It would be a different thing if they showed something sensible, and you could plug in your headphones to hear the soundtrack.
How are those screens annoying you? I couldn't appreciate them more for the moving flight maps before the wifi has spread across the fleet. Now it's less of an issue, but aren't there still few planes without wifi connection? Earlier though, I didn't like flying without the screens as I couldn't see the best of any IFE.

Originally Posted by Ukki View Post
This is bad news. We discussed this earlier when they removed newspapers from LH. I will never read any newspaper or magazine from a screen. During take-off and landing, what is better than IS/HS/KL?
Not sure what your experience is like, but I'd say newspaper delivery before take-off has taken place in way less than 50% cases. It doesn't make sense as that's exactly the time when people would appreciate them most.
on22cz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 19, 4:01 am
  #3282  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: MMX (CPH)
Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Posts: 10,017
Well one could see this coming but I regret the move. Nothing beats old fashioned paper in many of the situations you have in the cabin.

Last edited by intuition; Feb 21, 19 at 2:09 pm
intuition is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 19, 1:09 am
  #3283  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Helsinki-Vantaa APT, Finland
Programs: AY Plus, Norwegian Reward
Posts: 3,194
Unfortunately it didnt work


OH-LGG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 19, 3:41 am
  #3284  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HEL
Programs: Got a K-Plussa black! S-card remains green :D
Posts: 4,001
Originally Posted by OH-LGG View Post
Unfortunately it didnt work


oh these happen? I once found an offer of 0€ But when clicking on it, jumped to normal ay prices
FFlash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 19, 4:57 am
  #3285  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN*, SPG Plat (RIP)
Posts: 243
I've always seen those "offers" as being rather random and having nothing to do with actual prices. I've even booked flights at a lower price than what was advertised on the offers page.
BlueNordicSky is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread