Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:53 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ffay005
I've combined HAV and MIA as an open jaw. AY website wouldn't sell it, but it was available at ITA Matrix and OTAs, and AY CS sold it to me without problems (and without a phone booking fee).
OK!

Maybe the Atlantic cartel is less restrictive. Or HAV for intents and purposes are placed in NA area covered by cartel.

For Japan, fares are heavily restricted in their combinability
Category 4: Flight restrictions

IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL WITHIN JAPAN
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY JL FLIGHT OPERATED BY JL
ANY JL FLIGHT OPERATED BY JC
ANY NU FLIGHT OPERATED BY NU
ANY GK FLIGHT OPERATED BY GK
ANY AY FLIGHT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN EUROPE AND
JAPAN
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AY FLIGHT OPERATED BY AY.

Category 10: Combinability

APPLICABLE ADD-ON CONSTRUCTION IS ADDRESSED IN
MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS - CATEGORY 23.
END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS NOT PERMITTED WITH DOMESTIC
FARES WITHIN FINLAND. VALIDATE ALL FARE COMPONENTS. SIDE
TRIPS PERMITTED.
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED WITH INTERNATIONAL
FARES. VALIDATE ALL FARE COMPONENTS. SIDE TRIPS
PERMITTED.
OPEN JAWS/ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS
FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS
-TO FORM SINGLE OR DOUBLE OPEN JAWS.
A MAXIMUM OF TWO INTERNATIONAL FARE COMPONENTS
PERMITTED.
MILEAGE OF THE OPEN SEGMENT MUST BE EQUAL/LESS THAN
MILEAGE OF THE LONGEST FLOWN FARE COMPONENT.
-TO FORM ROUND TRIPS
-TO FORM CIRCLE TRIPS
A MAXIMUM OF TWO INTERNATIONAL FARE COMPONENTS
PERMITTED.
PROVIDED -
COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER AY/BA/JL/IB
IN ANY RULE IN ANY TARIFF.

Category 50: Application

AY/BA/JL/IB SPECIAL BUSINESS CLASS FARES
APPLICATION
AREA
THESE FARES APPLY
BETWEEN EUROPE AND JAPAN.

I read this as trip must be r/t with Europe and Japan as origin/destination. Longhaul flights must be on AY metal even though a fare from IB/BA/JL/AY can be used.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
I've combined HAV and MIA as an open jaw. AY website wouldn't sell it, but it was available at ITA Matrix and OTAs, and AY CS sold it to me without problems (and without a phone booking fee).
After some further experimentation, it seems that Japan is not different. ITA matrix indicates that HEL-Japan + Asia-HEL itineraries available on OTAs have the return flight as Light/Basic while in HEL-Japan + Australia-Asia-HEL, including an AY coded flight on QF or CX metal, the return becomes Value (HEL-NRT has a more mysterious fare codes like NHTSFI). I presume these can be likewise booked directly by calling AY.
ffay005 and remymartin like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by intuition
Maybe the Atlantic cartel is less restrictive. Or HAV for intents and purposes are placed in NA area covered by cartel.
HAV isn't part of the cartel, and I was able to combine a Value HEL-HAV with a MIA-HEL that earned 50 %, whatever it was called. Probably Saver something. But who knows, could have been a loophole nobody had remembered to cover.

PVR, sadly, is part of the cartel. Don't know about POP.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
It is an expressed rule of all normal tickets within the joint venture that fares are only combinable inside that venture. So you now have a gazillion options going to Japan via UK or ES, but no friggin' way to combine your JP trip with CN. A great step forward for the Asian strategy...
Rather than HEL-MAD-hotel-NRT-ITM-HND-CDG-CPH, you should book MMX-BMA-HEL-PEK and ICN-HEL-CPH through AY and PEK-NRT-ICN through JL to get a CN+JP trip. I know, it's annoying.

Last edited by Im a new user; Jan 23, 2019 at 2:33 pm
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:41 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Some person
Rather than HEL-MAD-hotel-NRT-ITM-HND-CDG-CPH, you should book MMX-BMA-HEL-PEK and ICN-HEL-CPH through AY and PEK-NRT-ICN through JL to get a CN+JP trip. I know, it's annoying.
This is actually very similar to what I've ended up with a few times.

What is annoying with that solution is Finnair's refusal to check to final destination when on 2 tickets, so it only works if not checking bags, or if I take a layover both ways.
In the long run it is not worth the hustle and there are airlines that are happy to serve open-jaws across Asia anyway.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I had no issues booking BUD-HEL-NGO//ICN-HEL-BUD open jaw with ebookers.
remymartin likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: AY+, HH Gold
Has anyone here downloaded the Red by Dufry -app? https://www.dufry.com/en/shopping/Red-by-Dufry

I'm wondering if any of you are gold level on the app and could tell me what the lounge benefits are for LHR? The app implies you get free lounge access (4 different 3rd party lounges at LHR), but I tried to get confirmation about this from their customer service and I have someone replying to my emails with broken English and not really answering the question.

(if anyone is interested in downloading the app I can send you the referral code which gives me and you 100 points )

Last edited by Eyrie; Jan 31, 2019 at 10:59 am
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Since I rarely fly AY these days I find myself in a funny situation

I might just buy a last minute trip on Aurinkomatkat 😁😂 the flights are operated by a scheduled AY flight, they advertise miles to AY but are they that limited? (My thinking is AY IT cant be that good)

Any ideas where one can find the booking code for these types of tickets?

Its been propably 5-10 years since I even considered something like this 😁

I would like to credit to AS or baEC since my tier collection year is is allmost over on AY and I was unsuccessful at getting the SK tier challenge from AY nor obtaining a AY Gold gift card so no point in crediting to my AY account....

So if anyone has recent experience I sure would appreciate it 😂👍
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
If buying just flights, you will earn normal AY+ points on the flight. Ticket type most probably is A or something like that, earning 25%. At least this has been my experience. I think there's no reaason you couldn't credit to AS or BAEC but these don't earn too well.

If buying a package, I think you earn some points on the whole cost of the package as well? This should be confirmed by someone who has more experience on AM packages.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by lkrt
If buying just flights, you will earn normal AY+ points on the flight. Ticket type most probably is A or something like that, earning 25%. At least this has been my experience. I think there's no reaason you couldn't credit to AS or BAEC but these don't earn too well.

If buying a package, I think you earn some points on the whole cost of the package as well? This should be confirmed by someone who has more experience on AM packages.

Propably a wasted cause to go that route 😁 QR might just be a better bet, 25% is just a pet peeve of mine these days, then again QR is most likely only 50% perhaps a J redemption is wiser
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:37 am

A few weeks ago I travelled to LPA with a ticket bought from Aurinkomatkat. This is what I got:20.1.2019HEL-LPA+500+50020.1.2019Aurinkomatkat0+95 The 95 points are from the price (95€) I paid for the roundtrip tickets. Obviously got the same 500 points for return as well.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
A few weeks ago I travelled to LPA with a ticket bought from Aurinkomatkat. This is what I got:20.1.2019HEL-LPA+500+50020.1.2019Aurinkomatkat0+95 The 95 points are from the price (95€) I paid for the roundtrip tickets. Obviously got the same 500 points for return as well.
95e to LPA is cheap. damn it.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Clydez
95e to LPA is cheap. damn it.
I had 45€ return to FUE (AY flights) but couldn't use it.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
I had 45€ return to FUE (AY flights) but couldn't use it.
Not sure how you guys found the fare. i never look at AM or any travel agency site.

But the time i was going, 2017 Dec the price was 400-600e. i did award ticket to LPA with 2 for1 price.

Now i feel like an idiot.
on22cz and seldomrfly like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by Clydez
Not sure how you guys found the fare. i never look at AM or any travel agency site.
AM last minute offers come useful sometimes, right now flight-only offers to/from Thailand: BKK HKT 265 one way, 395 return
remymartin likes this.

Last edited by Andaman; Feb 7, 2019 at 4:12 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.