Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Old Nov 1, 18, 3:56 am

Programs: Got a K-Plussa black! S-card remains green :D
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun View Post
I certainly did not have to leave them there
second thought was if there was enough room for your orders in the overhead bins
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Nov 1, 18, 4:16 am

Programs: AY Lumo, A3 Gold, TK Elite Plus
Speaking of "a few bottles", has anybody ever been checked by customs on arrival in HEL from non-EU destinations with more than an allowed litre of valuable liquids?
Old Nov 1, 18, 4:33 am

Programs: SK*S, AY Gold (Sapphire), SBUX GOLD and statusless elsewhere
Originally Posted by on22cz View Post
Speaking of "a few bottles", has anybody ever been checked by customs on arrival in HEL from non-EU destinations with more than an allowed litre of valuable liquids?
Rarely have I seen customs officers at any of the checkpoints at 1, 2A and 2B so I think it's a slim chance to get searched. At least I've never got searched regardless of where I came from.
Old Nov 1, 18, 5:02 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), Accor Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
I've never pre-ordered more than the customs limit. Is there any limit to the pre-orders?
Old Nov 1, 18, 5:13 am

Programs: AY Lumo, A3 Gold, TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
Rarely have I seen customs officers at any of the checkpoints at 1, 2A and 2B so I think it's a slim chance to get searched. At least I've never got searched regardless of where I came from.
That's true, they are rarely there, but I still prefer not to risk too much. But sometimes there might be a bottle from airport Duty Free in addition to the pre-order, so I wondered if anyone had the bad luck of being checked and had to pay for / explain / whatever some extra bottle(s).

Originally Posted by lkrt View Post
I've never pre-ordered more than the customs limit. Is there any limit to the pre-orders?
I don't think there is a pre-order limit, but I wouldn't really go (much) over limits with pre-orders. Different thing is, as mentioned above, getting an extra bottle or two from airport DF. Then you easily get 2 litres instead of the 1 litre allowed.
Old Nov 1, 18, 5:51 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), Accor Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by on22cz View Post
I don't think there is a pre-order limit, but I wouldn't really go (much) over limits with pre-orders.
Yeah, more or less just thinking about ordering a two people's quota for me and my travel companion.l
Old Nov 4, 18, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Minor detail, but is anyone else having issues with Finnair doing unauthorized holds on thier creditcard when booking and never release them?

I balance all my accounts regularly and it is annoying when there are uncleared holds as the balance does not reconcile with transactions.

(At least this time it isn't random seat charges, so maybe I should be happy about that
Attached Images  
Old Nov 4, 18, 3:54 am

Programs: AY+Gold, TK Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
Minor detail, but is anyone else having issues with Finnair doing unauthorized holds on thier creditcard when booking and never release them?

I balance all my accounts regularly and it is annoying when there are uncleared holds as the balance does not reconcile with transactions.

(At least this time it isn't random seat charges, so maybe I should be happy about that
Yes, for every ticket I purchase, they hold 1 USD and it clears in about 3 weeks. Last week of September I bought 3 tickets and my account showed three transactions for actual ticket prices and three holds each 1 USD, which were cleared after mid October.
Old Nov 4, 18, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Well, this practice (while minor) is questionable to say the least.

And what would be the purpose? Making two separate holds (ticket price in local currency and 1USD separately ) doesn't make any difference in securing the money.

Perhaps they partnered up with a new payment process service and the USD charge is the partner's own doing. Makes it even worse, I do not want a rouge partner putting holds on my CC.
lento likes this.
Old Nov 4, 18, 3:35 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat
Putting a 0.1/1 XXX hold on you card is a common payment processing practice as far as I know. It is used to validate your card by the service provider.
If that 0.1/1 XXX hold fails, than there is no point in trying to make the actual payment, pump that through several systems and then reconcile those failures later.
The holds are either removed by whoever put them on the card, or should be removed automatically after a certain number of weeks by your card provider.
And I am not saying that this practice makes sense from the consumers point of view. It makes sense from the business' point of view.
Old Nov 5, 18, 12:24 am
Original Poster

I fail to see the benefit for anyone to simultaneously make a hold of 1USD and a purchase of 600DKK.

Finnair never did this before. They made a hold of the actual amount and if it didn't clear, they didn't issue the ticket. I know, because it has happened to me that other transactions took precedence and when Finnair tried to process money, I was over limit. In these cases, they would contact me and let me know that if payment wasn't processed within 24h the reservation would be released.
Old Nov 5, 18, 1:36 am

Programs: AY Gold, but ask me again in May :), AA, BA, SK, DL, NT + hotels
Some years ago, they contacted me, too, in the way you describe, but they might not do it anymore.

I booked tickets and paid with my MC, which was not over the limit. Turns out the CC company didn't clear the purchase because I had made too many transactions with Finnair and their system thought there was something wrong Anyway, the only thing AY did was that they emailed me to inform about failed payment and didn't give any options. I needed to rebook everything and pay with another card. No 24 hour period in which to call in and settle the payment.
Old Nov 5, 18, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
... Turns out the CC company didn't clear the purchase because I had made too many transactions with Finnair and their system thought there was something wrong ....
And this is one of the reasons why the practice of making twice the number of holds you need questionable. Let's say someone buys 3 tickets in a short period of time. It is not very far fetched. For a family wanting to use the platinum perk family upgrade, every ticket usually is 3 separate bookings: First I book myself in J. Then I book SO in Y. Then I book junior on youth ticket. (these ticket types cannot be booked as one transaction)

Finnair/payment partner makes 6 holds. Credit card company flags your CC as suspicious/fraudulent as there are more than x transactions within their time limit of y minutes.

Even the event when a Danish vendor charges USD could be marked as suspicious.

I maintain that the 1USD hold is meaningless.

Last edited by intuition; Nov 5, 18 at 2:23 am
Old Nov 5, 18, 5:12 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum
Angry

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun View Post
Mostly my own "stupidity", little bit of AY's inflexibility, but maybe a good warning for everyone else.

Did a pre-order of a few bottles of Napues for my SIN-HEL flight and wanted to pay most part with a TAX free voucher. Bought the voucher on the day of the flight when I have already checked out of my hotel. Was planning to print it out at the airport in the lounge. QF lounge doesn't seem to have a printer (at least I haven't seen, but did not ask), so was planning to pop over to the BA lounge, which according to oneworld page has a "business facilities". At the end did not have time to do that, so boarded the flight with only a pdf version of the voucher.

The voucher clearly states that you should have a printed version of it when you are paying with it, but was hoping that it still could be used, based on the voucher number on it. Well, as it turned out, it really cannot be Would have hoped that in 2018 you don't have to print out an othervise electronically distrubuted document, but I was clearly wrong.
Sent an e-mail to the Platinum service desk with my SUGGESTION to make the vouchers in the future possible to use without printing them out. More than three days later Janica replies that vouchers cannot be returned, but I can use it at any of my upcoming flights or at the Finnair Travel Outlet shop at the airport. So damn frustrating that she clearly didn't understand that I'm suggesting a service improvement and did NOT ask for returning my voucher. She could have easily just write "thank you for your great suggestion, I forward it to the relevant department for their consideration", but clearly that was too much to expect
Gnopps and on22cz like this.
Old Nov 5, 18, 6:11 am

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Talk about consistency:

So inbound is full details, outbound just booking class + airport codes

Three weeks earlier

Inbound now also only booking class + airport codes

meanwhile on the app - full airport name, no details. A cherry on top is the name of BUD used in the app!

Due to my age I always refer to BUD as Ferihegy (never Liszt Ferenc!) but officially it hasn't been called Ferihagy for many years now.
on22cz and Steve_Hun like this.

Search this Thread