Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 1:36 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Thanks for replies!
Now, 12 hours after posting here, the transaction has appeared. Spookey... :-)
Old Feb 2, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
I have a rookie question.

When you guys book long haul J flights ex-EU for the obvious pricing reason, how do you book your tickets to have a long "layover" in Helsinki? Do you book it as a multi-city ticket on AY's website, or is there another way to do it?
Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Why oh why does finnair serve meals in J still wrapped in folio or covered by plastic? It looks so tacky and cheap... I was so tempted to give the purser a dirty look and say something but instead I ordered more champagne ��
Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:36 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
I have a rookie question.

When you guys book long haul J flights ex-EU for the obvious pricing reason, how do you book your tickets to have a long "layover" in Helsinki? Do you book it as a multi-city ticket on AY's website, or is there another way to do it?
For me multi-city tickets via AY website always do the trick.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by SPBanker
For me multi-city tickets via AY website always do the trick.
I have also tried (not yet booked any of them!) searching multi-city and it has worked until I put a stopover at return leg too on top the outbound leg stopover. I don't know why.
Anyway, the second "problem" I have had is that the business ticket books into I, i.e. inflexible so that you need to know your return position date&flight too which can be a challenge to plan for months forward.

Well these issues has so far kept me back booking xxx-hel<dest>hel-yyy combos, which is not a problem for some I guess, YMMV
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Thanks a lot SPBanker and FFlash!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:21 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by FFlash
I have also tried (not yet booked any of them!) searching multi-city and it has worked until I put a stopover at return leg too on top the outbound leg stopover. I don't know why.
AY tickets (or the booking engine?) does not allow 2 stops in HEL. With two stops in HEL, your Eu-trip probably is regarded as a side trip, which easily can be banned in the fare rules.

There is a thread, about a gazillion posts long, about tickets BNE-HEL-BER-HEL-RVN-BNE than can't be booked without using a Travel Agent, and the OP does not want to visit at Travel Agent...
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I have had no problems booking xxx-HEL_stop_Asia-HEL_stop_yyy (where xxx is not necessarily equals yyy) with OTA - I use less the AY site. And it's a multicity itinerary.

As for the flexibility, I seem to recall that the tix are changeable for a fee, at least I did at least on one occasion move my final leg and paid 50€ (AFAIK)

BTW the same pricing works even with open jaws in Asia. To avoid Chinese visa, I'll do xxx-HEL-ICN//PEK-HEL-xxx and xxx-HKG//BKK-HEL-xxx, both in the 1,6k€ range. Of course the ICN-PEK and the HKG-CAN-BKK come on top of that but those are cheap. OK, this latter is not just for avoiding visa, but I actually have a week in BKK. Looking forward to try UL's C product from CAN to BKK - costs 40€ more than Y for a 5 hrs flight

PS The issue with our lady of BNE was that she wanted both BER and RVN on the same ticket.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:21 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
In my experience, AY.com just fails completely for any itinerary with more than two stops. eBookers has worked for me for PRG-HEL,HEL-HKG-TPE,XIY-HEL,HEL-PRG (AY in I, CX in Y).
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by intuition
AY tickets (or the booking engine?) does not allow 2 stops in HEL. With two stops in HEL, your Eu-trip probably is regarded as a side trip, which easily can be banned in the fare rules.
Apparently, or some other reason anyway making it not easy.

Originally Posted by intuition
There is a thread, about a gazillion posts long, about tickets BNE-HEL-BER-HEL-RVN-BNE than can't be booked without using a Travel Agent, and the OP does not want to visit at Travel Agent...
I stopped reading that thread very early and ignored it completely, but now I regret that I passed away a lot of wisdom there
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I have had no problems booking xxx-HEL_stop_Asia-HEL_stop_yyy (where xxx is not necessarily equals yyy) with OTA - I use less the AY site. And it's a multicity itinerary.

As for the flexibility, I seem to recall that the tix are changeable for a fee, at least I did at least on one occasion move my final leg and paid 50€ (AFAIK)
I kinda guessed this and probably this is the best thing to do, if OTAs have even better rules about changes.
I previously avoided OTA like plaque but I must reconsider. Do they all provide a 24h cancellation too, or if mostly yes, which ones are the ones to watch out for not providing 24h free?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I often use the UK ebookers site and they have a 24h window - and also a reward program (+still earning miles as usual on flights)

Also some cashback sites give nearly 2% on flight bookings on ebookers. Talking of cashback - bookings on the AY site get 3€ cashback on shorthaul and 1% cashback on longhaul via the German igraal site (no residency restrictions)
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AY Silver
Originally Posted by Courmisch
In my experience, AY.com just fails completely for any itinerary with more than two stops. eBookers has worked for me for PRG-HEL,HEL-HKG-TPE,XIY-HEL,HEL-PRG (AY in I, CX in Y).
How are you able to book mixed classes (I, Y) using eBookers? I can only get either all-C or all-Y to show up.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I don't know. It just happened to do that. Maybe the FInnair I fare rules caused it.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:36 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I flew from DUS to HEL in Economy Pro. I received 3300 tier miles but 5300 all together. Anyone know why I got the 2K bonus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.