Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by lkrt
Remembering HEL ten years ago (this is from April 2009)... Did you remember that there was a Robert's Coffee where there's now a tax-free maze?
I really liked the spacious area.It was a nice waiting area for the last domestic flight as I had only status with Flying Blue or Fréquence Plus. The picture shows what mistakes Finavia has made for Customer satisfaction. It is like the Stockmann nowadays. Every square inch must be used for commercial reasons. I really liked the first Finavia Tax-free area (current Tori coffee shop) with open Windows. Or the large windows to tarmac where current Zero restaurant is located and indeed the current maze does not add any Customer satisfaction. It is only about Euros, Yens, Dollars etc.

Last edited by nordic; May 3, 2018 at 3:05 pm
Old May 3, 2018, 3:54 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Remembering HEL ten years ago (this is from April 2009)... Did you remember that there was a Robert's Coffee where there's now a tax-free maze?
For me, this is from the early days, as I started flying AY in 2009. I have very vague memories but I do remeber this one (I think!).
Also the feeling that the airport had less and less space for passengers for every new visit!
Old May 3, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by AndyA
I was suprised to see AY HEL-JFK for 395€. Is it standard nowadays to be that cheap? II haven' flown to the US since 2010 and it def. wasn' in this price range back then. Same price bought from AA, so that would be the obvious choice considering the 100% earn rate...
So if an AY Platsku books this under AA codes, can AY still assign seats, and would they assign Y+ seats?
Old May 3, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by ffay005

So if an AY Platsku books this under AA codes, can AY still assign seats, and would they assign Y+ seats?
Just remember that AA points don’t count towards Lumo AY point/segment requirements
ffay005 likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Trav1970
Just remember that AA points don’t count towards Lumo AY point/segment requirements
I wish that was an issue for me However, I'm planning on not even requalifying for Platsku this time. Burning points now, and then I hope I can rise from Gold to Platinum again after a year.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by AndyA
I was suprised to see AY HEL-JFK for 395€. Is it standard nowadays to be that cheap? I haven't flown to the US since 2010 and it def. wasn't in this price range back then. Same price bought from AA, so that would be the obvious choice considering the 100% earn rate...
This current campaign seems to be AY only. Or at least availability isn't the same. Checked some dates in September and AY offers their new Light HBO only fare for €399, but AA wants €475 for the same flights and dates.

However, my sample dates booked in O and according to the calculator, they earn 50 % and not 25 % as I had presumed. Thus 10 000 for a return. Not that much different from AA 13 252 points.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE)
Yea, the availability might not be the same, but quickly checking some dates in Nov-Dec, I can find several dates with 394,54€ pricing from AA. Not much difference in the earnings, like you pointed out, but still worth it to buy from AA imo, if one is not chasing Lumo. Although, if Y+ seat is not available for free selection via AA tickets, then it is another story...

Old May 4, 2018, 1:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by nordic
After the split-up AY started to date with LH. There were even TKU-HAM flights. Then LH found SK and AY started to flirt with AF and it was announced that all HEL-CDG flights would be operated by AY. But after that AY found BA and AF was pissed and cancelled the planned co-operation. It took a couple of years until AF and AY would be in the same bed.
AY and LH had and still have intensive tie ups in the back end, mainly in IT, MRO and operational things. Remember how Skychef bought their catering?

SK and LH hopped into bed first in 1998 as *A founding members and then got their revenue cartel permit by the EU to Scandic/Nordic signed shortly before/after SR went BK. So the door to AY's bedroom was shut by then.

I think I even remembered that space without anything back in 2002-06? There was a vast open space in front of the pub.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Trav1970

? I thought only if points there is an AY min rule, but not for segments.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by FFlash
? I thought only if points there is an AY min rule, but not for segments.
It is 100 AY segments.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:47 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nordic

Has any of you used the AY long-haul lounge situated at the current Kainuu public lounge near gate 30/31. Was it any good?

Wasn’t there a separate AY domwstic lounge somewhere in T1? I never used it. It was somewhere near the stairs to the baggage claim area 1???
Yes, I remember the small'ish AY lounge which was there around the current public lounge area. I think that was Plat/Golds only and not for SH J/Silvers..cannot say for sure. I don't really remember much about it but the setup was similar to one they later had in the long haul lounge (where @home is now). They also served the evening buffet for long haul J pax, that I remember. This must have been something like 2002/2003..

Domestic lounge was very basic with tea, coffee, juices and snacks, often very busy in the mornings already back in the day. Being HEL based I was very rarely there in the evenings so don't know how it was then, most likely same thing.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Jainzar
It is 100 AY segments.
My bad. But then, flying 150 segments, easily 100 of those will be AY
Old May 4, 2018, 1:52 am

Very not serious höpö question, but why is the loundge sign there with major letters "restaurant" and minor letters "lounges"
Old May 4, 2018, 1:55 am

The domestic lounge had some cheese and ham rolls that I liked, and that they didn't serve in the international lounge. It was a good place to spot Finnish MPs, flying back home after a working week in Helsinki. I once sat opposite Paavo Väyrynen in that domestic lounge.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by FFlash
Very not serious höpö question, but why is the loundge sign there with major letters "restaurant" and minor letters "lounges"
There was a restaurant on the upper floor, along with two lounges if memory serves me right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.