Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by FFlash
I've been to Lille once and wonder now if Finnair now offers booking French train connections in same ticket?
Nope; you have to buy the AirFrance codeshare if you want TGV'Air from Helsinki. This is one of my pet peeve Blue Wings magazine did advertise Lille a few years back. It said fly to CDG and buy TGV ticket separately.

However, to be fair:
  • Last time I checked, no European carriers other than AirFrance provides that service. All the other ones are for long-haul connections only.
  • The rail segments are only available a few months ahead, much later than flights. And I tend to book too early anyway due to high travel seasons (Xmas, Easter).
  • The cheaper rail prices do not seem to be available to airlines. CDG-XDB can often be had for 35-45€/RT if booked early.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Nope; you have to buy the AirFrance codeshare if you want TGV'Air from Helsinki. This is one of my pet peeve Blue Wings magazine did advertise Lille a few years back. It said fly to CDG and buy TGV ticket separately.

However, to be fair:
  • Last time I checked, no European carriers other than AirFrance provides that service. All the other ones are for long-haul connections only.
  • The rail segments are only available a few months ahead, much later than flights. And I tend to book too early anyway due to high travel seasons (Xmas, Easter).
  • The cheaper rail prices do not seem to be available to airlines. CDG-XDB can often be had for 35-45€/RT if booked early.
In Germany most airlines arriving in FRA offer rail & fly, where for a small addition of 35-40€ you can go to QYG, ie to all of Germany in 1st or 2nd class.: https://accesrail.com/products/db-rail-fly/

LH has been offering AirRail (now LH Express Rail) on LH flight numbers from/to FRA and Köln, Stuttgart, Düsseldorf, Dortmund, Karlsruhe & Mannheim.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I seem to remember having SK coded CPH-MMX (actually Malmö Station) train, with miles posting to LH M&M
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by oliver2002
In Germany most airlines arriving in FRA offer rail & fly, where for a small addition of 35-40€ you can go to QYG, ie to all of Germany in 1st or 2nd class.: https://accesrail.com/products/db-rail-fly/

LH has been offering AirRail (now LH Express Rail) on LH flight numbers from/to FRA and Köln, Stuttgart, Düsseldorf, Dortmund, Karlsruhe & Mannheim.
We were referring to TGV'Air, which is similar but different from DB Rail&Fly.

I don't think Rail&Fly will get you to XDB from any airport.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:10 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I seem to remember having SK coded CPH-MMX (actually Malmö Station) train, with miles posting to LH M&M
INdeed they did, from the now (more or less) defunct station "Svågertorp". Renamed malmo southern at some point, and then it lost most of its use when the tunnel under malmö city was opened.

This ticketing practice was however mostly driven by VAT rules. By selling a SK-ticket starting in Sweden they could charge a lower VAT. That also changed and SK dropped the train ride from the ticket after only a year or so, IIRC.

I have a few of those trips on my belt from 2001.

-- Added
That train-station was/is one of the ugliest. Starting your international trip by driving to a "station" that had nothing but a parking and tracks, situated all alone in the middle of a field of crops.

Last edited by intuition; Feb 19, 2018 at 1:20 pm
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by intuition
That train-station was/is one of the ugliest. Starting your international trip by driving to a "station" that had nothing but a parking and tracks, situated all alone in the middle of a field of crops.
Well what do you expect of a station named ”Svågertorp” (brother-in-law’s leased cottage)?
ffay005 and SPBanker like this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Finnair please get rid of your valentines marketing on your website and bring in a new sale. Valentine's day was last week.
Currently watching a flight to Japan for spring end of march. 10% of the flight is sold out but Finnair insist with 200% price tags on their tickets. Come on Finnair..
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Currently watching a flight to Japan for spring end of march. 10% of the flight is sold out but Finnair insist with 200% price tags on their tickets. Come on Finnair..
How do you know that?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Apparently Finnair has rescheduled the delivery of one of their A350 from 2023 to 2019 (Finnair beschleunigt Aufbau der A350-Flotte) and wants to make an (internal) decision during this year about ordering 20-30 narrow body aircraft (Finnair considers narrowbody replacement plans | Airlines content from ATWOnline).
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do you book First awards with AY+ ?

While I was looking for PremEco awards, I noticed that QF had F-award availability (F as in First) but how would one go about booking it online? The AY booking engine surprisingly allowed to input SYD-SIN, but showed only Eco and Business availability (or lack of it.)

Ended up quickly emptying my AA and BA accounts to snag those two (!) tickets before they were gone, but the question lingers - how to do it with AY? Only calling in? BTW also PremEco is unknown for the AY booking engine, as is for the AA one. BA seemed to be able to handle it, but came back with an error, while the F booking sailed through.

60€/pax well spent ^
ffay005, SPBanker and remymartin like this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:50 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
While I was looking for PremEco awards, I noticed that QF had F-award availability (F as in First) but how would one go about booking it online? ...
Never ever book AY awards on QF-flights from finnair.com. The pricing engine is faulty and adds VAT (based on the underlying fare!!!) to the price!

-- Added
See attached. AU GST is 10%, so there is something that costs 408,40, probably the ticket cost for AY. They remove the ticket cost as it is an award, but they do not remove the GST. (This is tax fraud).

Always call for awards on QF as CS can price correctly!
Attached Images  

Last edited by intuition; Feb 21, 2018 at 1:01 pm
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

... and there you have it. A revenue ticket has lower GST than a Finnair award (where GST should have been 0, as there are no items to which GST can be applied!)

Also, which seems to be new, Finnair now adds YQ, despite QF not charging any YQ.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:31 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Thanks, intuition, very good find and tip for anyone planning to use AY points down under
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I wonder. Maybe two years ago, I used BA miles for Australian domestic awards on QF. As far as I can remember, all "taxes" were about €5 / oneway ticket, but AY's calculation suggests that even the real government-imposed fees are far more than that.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIIW, BA & AA charged me exactly the same amounts for SYD-SIN (ca. 58€)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.