Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:13 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Easily fixed!
http://www.shopdrawdecal.com/SearchR...&Submit=Search

They even carry the 1990's Santa Claus livery for MD11.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
So when we get the Kivet livery model on the store? OH-LTO is there@:-) Then again, only that one and the hysterical raisin A340 are currently available. No A350 and nor narrow-body models
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by MagmaH
Gotta love the JAL staff at Narita.
Indeed! Just as I went to the satellite lounge to get one more glass I was approached by the attendant inside the lounge: "sir, we just got a call from Finnair. They would like to upgrade you. You may want to go a bit earlier"
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:02 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by remymartin
Indeed! Just as I went to the satellite lounge to get one more glass I was approached by the attendant inside the lounge: "sir, we just got a call from Finnair. They would like to upgrade you. You may want to go a bit earlier"
^^^
Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by SPBanker
^^^
You'll be happy to know I received an opup on AY5 the next day too - although under a bit of a more dramatic "double beep" process.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:29 am
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
On Saturday I flew into Helsinki the proper way, landing at an airport which is actually in Helsinki, on a shiny airplane with traditional Finnish Airlines livery on it.

FT-translation: Did a HEM-LPP-HEM day trip on the ex-Aero/Finnair DC3 operated by http://www.dc-ry.fi

The two one hour flights were long enough to get a real feel of air travel in the old days, including great engine sounds, flying in (not above) the weather, cockpit visits, etc.

Nostalgic Finnair-related experience that I can recommend!

Bonus "Lounge" review: The aviation museum and aviation club at LPP served great grilled sausages and pulla in huge hangars full of cool aviation stuff, with full view and access to the tarmac to look at planes ;-)

PS. LPP seems to be a popular summer travel destination this year for exotic planes, on Friday Putin's Tupolev 214 landed there, and on Saturday this historic DC3...
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
At the HEL Plat desk some weeks ago (flying first to a domestic destination):

Me: "But this long haul business class ticket should be changeable..."
Desk: "Sir, there is no business class on domestic routes..."
Me: "Yeah, I know that..."
Desk: "Ooooh.... you are a Platinum member. I guess you knew that."
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by Justinus
At the HEL Plat desk some weeks ago (flying first to a domestic destination):

Me: "But this long haul business class ticket should be changeable..."
Desk: "Sir, there is no business class on domestic routes..."
Me: "Yeah, I know that..."
Desk: "Ooooh.... you are a Platinum member. I guess you knew that."
Plat desk sounds as clueless as always...
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:17 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The HEL plat desk seems to be the most peculiar thing in the Finnair arsenal of loyalty efforts.
"Let's create a unique spot for meeting our most well travelled customers and let's staff it with our most ignorant and uncommitted workers."
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:07 am
np1

Originally Posted by intuition
The HEL plat desk seems to be the most peculiar thing in the Finnair arsenal of loyalty efforts.
"Let's create a unique spot for meeting our most well travelled customers and let's staff it with our most ignorant and uncommitted workers."
That's why I always go there to see how well and unique way I'll be served today. Maybe they trust that plats know how to protect themselves from incompetent workers.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: AY+ Plat Basic
This is more of a Finavia/Swissport höpö-höpö post, but here we go

After "boarding" at 23B today, the passengers, yours truly included, of AY119 HEL-TAY had the wonderful experience of getting bussed from 23B ... to a different terminal building (instead of an ATR-72 as you'd expect). The building contained gates 51 (A, B etc). One of the pax was savvy enough to notify the driver that something may be wrong when we got there. We waited around for 20min or so without knowing much at all, but all pax seemed relatively cool about it. The bus then returned and we got on again, only to unboard the bus .. to board it again one by one while being manually checked against the manifest (which in itself makes sense of course, can't be losing people - could have been handled in one go, though!). We were then taken to our ATR

A bit of a strange experience, all good for someone not in a hurry I guess. We ended up being maybe 30min late to TAY. The plane had NF in stock (a welcome change compared to JP that I've been usually seeing since May).

Last edited by ottersmacker; Jul 29, 2017 at 5:29 am
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
While your specific case looks like a cluster**** by some airport staff, it is possible to be bussed to a terminal gate.

I once boarded a CDG-bound narrowbody parked at a non-Schengen terminal gate. We were bussed from one of the regular Schengen bus gates to the tarmac for boarding via stairs through the aft door.

Many passengers were loudly wondering about the seemingly retarded setup. I explained in my perfect French
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:42 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ottersmacker
This is more of a Finavia/Swissport höpö-höpö post, but here we go

After "boarding" at 23B today, the passengers, yours truly included, of AY119 HEL-TAY had the wonderful experience of getting bussed from 23B ... to a different terminal building (instead of an ATR-72 as you'd expect). The building contained gates 51 (A, B etc). ...
As gate 51 is outside Schengen, I guess swissport decided to deport you all...

(Can't understand how any employee at the airport could lack the understanding of what is schengen/non-schengen. Even if he got a workorder "drive from 23 to 51", driver should emmediately react and say "this can't be right")
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:01 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Courmisch
While your specific case looks like a cluster**** by some airport staff, it is possible to be bussed to a terminal gate.

I once boarded a CDG-bound narrowbody parked at a non-Schengen terminal gate. We were bussed from one of the regular Schengen bus gates to the tarmac for boarding via stairs through the aft door.

Many passengers were loudly wondering about the seemingly retarded setup. I explained in my perfect French
But IMHO it still happens fairly rarely with AY in HEL.

Try LO in WAW - their first Schengen arrival bank connects with the first non-Schengen departure bank and it is normal that you arrive at a jetty position bur deplaning is via stairs as this particular jetty is at a non-Schengen area (and the aircraft's next flight is to a non-Schengen destination). It is the same with the mid-afternoon bank (but direction is opposite: from non-Schengen to Schengen).
Old Aug 6, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: AY LUMO
How about taking wife with You on AY flight. She gets now 25% discount.

Ad (In Finnish) in Savon Sanomat and the year was 1968:

http://www.savonsanomat.fi/incoming/...ir68%20(2).JPG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.