Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:23 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Furry
Lentäjäntie 1, glass covered building where it says FINNAIR in Google Maps Street view
Aha, the TOKE building LAK recently acquired.

Scandic will then be s shorter walk than Hilton ^

Google has a panorama from the top of the building (wrongly labeled as taken from Hilton)
https://www.google.se/maps/@60.31700...0!9m2!1b1!2i40

Last edited by intuition; Jul 7, 2017 at 3:55 am Reason: Added google link
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:34 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Airport signage

The signage at HEL airport is a mixed bag IMHO. I think it is great they do signage in multiple languages and scripts, but I've also criticized Finavia for not signing many important locations like transfer desk.

Now it seems they are upgrading signs and have indeed included directions to transfer service. That's great, but the style has also changed for the worse IMHO. See sign at bottom of post, a rather messy new sign at HEL.

I don't know if it is a standard, but many airports use a very dark blue background and a warm mellow yellow tint for the text. Some airports use a slightly brighter yellow and some use entirely proprietary colours, but IMO this basic dark blue/mellow yellow can be found all other the world. If not an explicit standard, then at least a de-facto one. Here is a sign in Bali:

Finavia has also used this well known colour scheme previously, but have now "updated" it. I got curious and found out that they decided to change colour scheme after a Danish consultant told airport management that blue and yellow are the colours of Sweden and did Finavia really want to be associated with that?!?
Jari Pusa, Service Manager at Finavia, says that when they were deciding on which direction to take with the redesign, a Danish consultant asked why the airport’s signs were blue and yellow.

“Those colors are typically associated with Sweden, as opposed to Finland’s blue and white,” he chuckles. If you’ve noticed, the latest signs have been redone in blue and white, ...
Seriously?
Rest assured that Danish airports has no issues being "associated" with these generic colours...

I am totally OK with breaking off from standard if done with a purpose and done well - DOH airport is an example of very consistent and purposely done "look&feel".

But this isn't very pleasing for they eye, is it?
Strange alignments, language inconsistencies, multiple font sizes, at least 5 colours (exit number kept the mellow yellow!). And boxes, boxes, boxes...
Attached Images  

Last edited by intuition; Jul 15, 2017 at 3:42 am
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Originally Posted by intuition
The signage at HEL airport is a mixed bag IMHO. I think it is great they do signage in multiple languages and scripts, but I've also criticized Finavia for not signing many important locations like transfer desk..
Posts here are always one's opinions, you stated that three times (IMHO/IMO) 😄
Otherwise good writing, I agree your point of view.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:26 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Hehe, I guess I felt it might be a sensitive subject...

Here is another example of a messy new sign:

When you design, you should do it consistently and with purpose. I don't agree with some of the new ideas, but if you go for these ideas you should still do it properly, like this:

a) Departing passengers are looking for gates - let's keep all gate info in the same area of the sign, making it consistent and easy to read

b) If we are re-designing to get a new "look&feel", let's do it properly and drop the old colourful baggage claim icons

c) In the name of consistency, let's keep all director arrows in the same relative location. People first look for the descriptor and then look for the instruction/direction, just like in a directory (first scanning the sign for "Arrivals" and when found, looking for where to go. Not the other way around!
All scripts used here are left-to-right read, so all arrows should go after the text they belong to.

d) They eye needs a physical guide - make sure you use alignment for that. There are different solutions to this, but I suggest using right-alignment for all data entries as that will make all direction arrows align.

Voilà! A few strokes in photoshop and this is the result.

How much did #finavia pay the Danish consultant? (Too much!)

By the way, do observe the inconsistency to the extreme right, where the gate sign has kept the traditional colours and font...

Last edited by intuition; Jul 15, 2017 at 11:35 am
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Worldwide Yellow colour because of Sweden ! What a Genius consultant!
Yellow text is for a reason as human eye is most sensitive to a yellow-green color. And dark blue background is for good contrast.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: AY Platinum
I'm ok with the new color, but the sign itself is a mess like you say. In addition to what you mentioned, it's not immediately obvious whether "Arrivals 2B" should be associated with the arrow of "Exit" or "26", which is *really* stupid.

Another thing that has always bothered me is that the big sign on top of the building says "Helsinki Airport". Why? Just "Helsinki" would look a lot more stylish. It's obviously an airport!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by heatsink
It's obviously an airport!
Well somebody might suspect it is a shopping mall nowadays.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: AY Platinum
That's true, maybe it should be renamed to Helsinki-Jumbo.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:50 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
That's true, maybe it should be renamed to Helsinki-Jumbo.
Perhaps by 2035 they have actually merged?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:52 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Another thing that has always bothered me is that the big sign on top of the building says "Helsinki Airport". Why? Just "Helsinki" would look a lot more stylish. It's obviously an airport!
Originally Posted by Hartsa
Well somebody might suspect it is a shopping mall nowadays.
LOL! ^

Actually, in 1983 the sign had only cityname on it (first terminal expansion, do note the observation deck):
Attached Images  
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:48 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Here is another signage ssue, but it might be my personal problem as I've gotten confused in many other places too...

To me, the direction arrows are projected in 2 dimensions and showing direction in map-style, the x-y-plane. Ie, an upwards pointing arrow does not mean "go up" but indicates "walk straight-ahead from here", and a right/left pointing arrow indicates "walk right/left here".

So when you introduce an arrow pointing to the upper right quadrant in this frame of reference, I take it as either "walk diagonally from here" or if the walkways are orthogonal, "walk straight ahead first, then turn right". Or in map-lingo, toilets are somewhere North-East from where I am standing now.

But in this case, the toilets are indeed to the immediate right, but upstairs. So suddenly the arrow is showing directing in the y-z plane instead of the x-y-plane.

I'd rather have the arrow in the ceiling mounted sign pointing right in this situation. That would send me in the right direction. Then, just as can be seen in the pictures lower right corner, once at the destination, there is an arrow on the wall pointing to upper right quadrant. In that context, I think it is more clear that it now means "up-stairs to the right".

Just a minor issue - maybe I am the only one reading the diagonal arrow wrong?
Attached Images  
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:32 am

I read the diagonal arrow as it was meant to be. But it may because I know that the toilets are upstairs.

Anyhow, please send your photoshop sign to Finavia as it is excactly how I think it should have been designed.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Checking out the CX forum something quite reminded me of the days when citro posted here every day (for 38 pages on one thread). Hope to see him/her here soon again.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:10 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
When two AY+ Forum regulars meet in the Executive Lounge of Conrad Beijing... They go for the good stuff!
Attached Images  
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by SPBanker
When two AY+ Forum regulars meet in the Executive Lounge of Conrad Beijing... They go for the good stuff!
Well done guys!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.