Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Hand baggage enforcement tightening?

Old Jun 25, 15, 8:23 am
TTL
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diam, AY Plat, IHG Plat, Visa Plat, PP Prest, BT Vip

Slightly irritated by the fact that on my flight LHR-HEL AY834 today I was told to check in my Rimowa trolley - weighing exactly 10 kg. In addition, I had a slim Targus computer case along. Overweight together obviously, as the limit is for silver/gold/platinum/business 10 kg. Did not help to explain about tight 40 minute connection to KUO. Next please and a rolleye.... DYKWIA-tantrum was about to emerge. Letīs see later, how much stuff the fellow passengers will drag in. The silver lining of the cloud is that wonīt have to worry about bin space now. What I hate is the lack of consistency.

OT then a few comments about the hit and miss ground crew Finnair uses at LHR. There are friendly, true professionals mostly but apparently also some of the surliest cows and most incompetent jackasses imaginable. Oh, that getting that out did good !

Last edited by TTL; Jun 25, 15 at 8:29 am
Old Jun 25, 15, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
If so, it might be a result of the new HBO fares. How will they ever earn ancillary revenue on bags if they don't enforce the rules?

But I haven't seen anything in this direction last 2 weeks (8 segments, in J). Slight overweight and not an eyebrow raised.
Old Jun 25, 15, 11:15 pm

This is disturbing indeed. How did they end up checking the weight of your bag? I have only had my carry on weighed once when flying on a sea plane, and even they did not complain about the overweight.
Old Jun 25, 15, 11:52 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
At least at FRA it is very common to weigh the carry-on if you have baggage to check-in. As far as it concerns FRA they started long before the introduction of the Light tickets (although I don't know back then about Business / Priority check-in). But I also noticed there that they often just gave you a warning if you were slightly above. But that might change now.

But it is not common sense to me that if you have a free baggage allowance anyway and your carry-on is within the size constraints (but not within the weight constraint) to require to check in. It is more expensive for Finnair to transport it as checked baggage.
Old Jun 26, 15, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
I guess is depends on routine at the check in station. I get to put my carry on on the scale every now and then.

It might be an extra cost to transport something as checked, but there is also a load limit in overheads.

And by the way, Welcome to Flyertalk, Jainzar!
Old Jun 26, 15, 1:32 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA GGL, AY Gold, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
It is more expensive for Finnair to transport it as checked baggage.
No it isn't if flight is very full and customer profile is working class people bouncing back and forth with many pieces of handluggage. This could mean all trolleys don't fit into the cabin and need to be gate checked, potentially delaying the flight.
Old Jun 26, 15, 1:46 am
TTL
Original Poster

All happily over, despite 834 being 20 min delayed, I and Rimowa made it to KUO.

In the plane everything was as usual with wheelies, bags, boxes and hats behind the curtain.

The easy solution to avoid such an occurrence in the future - stupid me to go to check in at all - can be defined by 4 letters: O L C I
Old Jun 26, 15, 2:14 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Back in the days when you had to go to the desk, LHR was notorius for weighing your hand luggage. I usually went to an empty counter, weighed the bag and took out enough clothing, books etc before going to check-in. There I stood wearing two hoodies, four t-shirts etc After security, I put everything back to the bag.

The 8 kg limit is ridiculous. The size limit is understandable, but since other airlines can fly you home safely with a size limit only, or with a non-limiting weight limit like 18 kg, then how does AY benefit from an 8 kg Y-class limit?
Old Jun 26, 15, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
... then how does AY benefit from an 8 kg Y-class limit?
By charging for checked in baggage? Or by minimizing delays from slow boarding?

Both EK and QR has a generous checked luggage policy, still only allows 7kg carry-on in Y.

BA surprises with a 23kg limit, but look at the zoo they have when boarding and finding stowage space.
Old Jun 26, 15, 2:49 am

I wonder if an excuse of expensive camera gear would help at all if the weighting hits me at some point. I really don't even want to think about what it would cost to replace the gear... (I have seen this excuse to work for others on some local Asian flights.)
Old Jun 26, 15, 4:20 am
TTL
Original Poster

Solution number II to this problem for me is to fly back onboard BA with AY ticket. I think, that will produce less revenue to AY.
Old Jun 26, 15, 5:36 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
I flew LHR-HEL AY837 last night. Nobody paid any attention to my carry-on.
Old Jun 26, 15, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
At BRU I've never been made weigh my carry on - except maybe once or twice in the early 00's before AY switched ground operators.

Though I'm not sure whether this is the typically Belgian lax approach to rules, or a benefit of using the J check-in desk.

Well, 8kg is still better than SN's 6kg which is policed VERY strictly. Then again, I don't fly on Brussels Airlines, seeing as it is pretty much a LCC and the seats are one of the worst. (Might be same that LH has?)

I'm very thankful for OLCI when travelling HBO though, as others said, it is the best way to avoid such a situation altogether.
Old Jun 27, 15, 3:31 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Gold, Scandic L2
I've seen one case where a pax was denied boarding on AY at BRU, some years ago. But he was attempting to hand-carry insane amounts of (photographic) stuff. He was told to either pay in cash to check-in the extra bags at the gate (which he refused), or go away.
Old Jun 27, 15, 7:18 am

Programs: SK EBg/baEC G/MR P/A3 *G/CC G/HH D/IHG Spire
I won't make any friends with this post 😜 BUT. I wish AY would pay more attention to the size limit of bags then anything else. On last weeks flight from TLL-HEL the lady next to me brought on a duffel bag that was so large it filled the leg space for her seat AND MINE!!!! Cabin staff just smiled... 👎👎👎👎 if I could figure out how to add photos here on an iphone I would show you!! I was not amused 😂😂😂

Search this Thread
Search Engine: