FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   Same plane return in Malaga? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1674157-same-plane-return-malaga.html)

Flythe96flag Apr 22, 2015 9:38 am

Same plane return in Malaga?

It's a brutal thought given its 32B and the flight times, but some good TPs to potentially be had for relatively cheap in J. :D

I'm unfamiliar with the arrivals/departures/connecting process at AGP, and I was wondering if doing a same plane turnaround in Malaga is possible or not with AY. I guess this would depend on whether or not on arrival you are deposited into the departure lounge, whether or not flight connections involves security and finally, if Finnair uses jet bridges or remote stands.

I read on the BA forum that it's risky because of passport control queues, but I assume this would not be an issue with AY flying from Schengenland.

Would appreciate any information. :)

nivsy Apr 22, 2015 10:19 am

Do you need same day return? Why not have a night in lovely malaga and go back following day? You can get great cheap accommodation, be on the beach and indulge in tapas over a reasonable beer.

intuition Apr 22, 2015 11:44 am

I have only vague memories of AGP - I don't know if there is a quick airside transit gate, it does however have (very confusing IIRC) transit signs after luggage pick up.

Other spanish airports has quick airside transit. Remymartin, gwaigwai and I did a 1H return at LPA last year without breaking a sweat. 10 minutes tops gate to gate.
We even managed to fake ourselves into the lounge and Remy had even time to buy some cigarrs. However, it was two times 6H on 737's and if Remy and gwaigwai didn't resent SK before they surely do now :p

Flythe96flag Apr 29, 2015 7:26 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 24704194)
I have only vague memories of AGP - I don't know if there is a quick airside transit gate, it does however have (very confusing IIRC) transit signs after luggage pick up.

Other spanish airports has quick airside transit. Remymartin, gwaigwai and I did a 1H return at LPA last year without breaking a sweat. 10 minutes tops gate to gate.
We even managed to fake ourselves into the lounge and Remy had even time to buy some cigarrs. However, it was two times 6H on 737's and if Remy and gwaigwai didn't resent SK before they surely do now :p

Sounds like fun, perhaps I'll end up despising the AY SH J product after my trip to come, booked an immediate turnaround. :D

Related question, since I booked an OSL-AGP return. I read up on the transfer process in OSL, but couldn't find a conclusive answer for Schengen-Schengen connections, and it's been such a long time I don't remember.

Would an immediate turnaround at OSL be possible, i.e. arriving and departing on the same AY plane? Furthermore, since I'm travelling HBO will it be necessary to go through customs/security once more?

intuition Apr 29, 2015 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Flythe96flag (Post 24738411)
Sounds like fun, perhaps I'll end up despising the AY SH J product after my trip to come, booked an immediate turnaround. :D

Related question, since I booked an OSL-AGP return. I read up on the transfer process in OSL, but couldn't find a conclusive answer for Schengen-Schengen connections, and it's been such a long time I don't remember.

Would an immediate turnaround at OSL be possible, i.e. arriving and departing on the same AY plane? Furthermore, since I'm travelling HBO will it be necessary to go through customs/security once more?

OSL has a "shortcut" from arrivals to departures, but you need to go through security. You arrive at second floor and it is just a long hallway with glassed walls alongside all gates and it is a long long walk to exit. However, somewhere in the middle of this exit walkway there is a (very small) transfer security where they check onwards BP and scan everything, then you are allowed to go down and you enter straight into departure hall with access to gates (and lounges).

DreamlinerFinder Apr 29, 2015 11:51 am

AGP has a different section for Shengen regions but it looks like it goes downstairs from the gate ( always D as B and C are non-Shengen) and there is a route that will take you back to about the middle of the area with the only (bad) lounge about 50m away

Flythe96flag Apr 29, 2015 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 24739099)
OSL has a "shortcut" from arrivals to departures, but you need to go through security. You arrive at second floor and it is just a long hallway with glassed walls alongside all gates and it is a long long walk to exit. However, somewhere in the middle of this exit walkway there is a (very small) transfer security where they check onwards BP and scan everything, then you are allowed to go down and you enter straight into departure hall with access to gates (and lounges).

Thanks, I figured there might be a security check given the current arrangements at OSL with customs etc. I checked SAS MCTs which seemed to give Schengen transfers 30 minutes, I have 40 so I'm not too concerned. ^

Originally Posted by DreamlinerFinder (Post 24739892)
AGP has a different section for Shengen regions but it looks like it goes downstairs from the gate ( always D as B and C are non-Shengen) and there is a route that will take you back to about the middle of the area with the only (bad) lounge about 50m away

Hmm thanks, from what I've found (or lack thereof), there doesn't seem to be any checks when Schengen arrivals are concerned, but shall definitely report along the way. :p

(Un)fortunately, it seems my arrival time of 23:55 is almost an hour after the lounge has closed so won't be able to use that amenity. :D Only about an hour to kill before departure anyway, so not too bothered.

Flythe96flag May 13, 2015 9:12 am

I wanted some certainty before my trip, so I took to the social networks and messaged the Malaga Airport Facebook page concerning Schengen transfers at terminal D. (Did not want to confuse them with the concept of an immediate turnaround at this point :D )

The page had a relatively small following so I was sceptical as to whether it was an official page or a third party one, but from what I could see they answered questions posted on their page with some detail and knowledgeability so I decided to proceed with my query. ^

I was assured I could remain airside for the connection, but shall report back with my experiences. ;)

http://puu.sh/hLPEr/3ab478129d.png

Gimp Jun 24, 2015 9:04 am

I'm contemplating doing this as part of a quick trip to gain 390 TP's. Are you able to remain airside and do a same plane return as above?

Although a day in the sun enjoying wine and tapas is appealing!

Flythe96flag Jun 24, 2015 9:39 am

Yes, it is more than possible, foolproof even. On arrival you decant into the departures area so nothing to worry about. ^ You can walk around for a bit to stretch your legs, use the lavatory, or pop into one of the kiosks or Starbucks. Boarding starts 30-45 min after arrival, very quiet and leisurely altogether as it's one of the last, if not the last flight to depart for the night. Just remember, even though it is a Schengen flight, the GA's will need to check your passport, per Spain's policy.

The meal served on the return is breakfast, which you can choose to be served after departure at 00:55 or alternatively right before arrival.

I do feel bad for the crew, who operate both the outbound and the return as well.

Gimp Jun 24, 2015 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Flythe96flag (Post 25020451)
Yes, it is more than possible, foolproof even. On arrival you decant into the departures area so nothing to worry about. ^ You can walk around for a bit to stretch your legs, use the lavatory, or pop into one of the kiosks or Starbucks. Boarding starts 30-45 min after arrival, very quiet and leisurely altogether as it's one of the last, if not the last flight to depart for the night. Just remember, even though it is a Schengen flight, the GA's will need to check your passport, per Spain's policy.

The meal served on the return is breakfast, which you can choose to be served after departure at 00:55 or alternatively right before arrival.

I do feel bad for the crew, who operate both the outbound and the return as well.

Thank you, very helpful. Trying to decide whether to do this back to back or wimp out and enjoy the sun for a day or two! I agree, it must be a tough rotation for the crew and i don't envy them.

skaya Nov 18, 2015 9:57 am

Thanks for confirming immediate turnarounds at AGP.

Are there other AY destinations with close to similar distance in same price range in J available now in November?