Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair invests in Wi-Fi connectivity across its fleet

Old Mar 25, 15, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Thumbs up Finnair invests in Wi-Fi connectivity across its fleet

Finnair Board of Directors has approved an investment program for bringing Wi-Fi connectivity to the majority of Finnair's wide-body and narrow-body fleet. The total value of the investment is approximately 30 MEUR.

"This investment will enable us to offer a wide array of new services to our customers, ranging from inflight entertainment to inflight sales and ancillaries", says Pekka Vauramo, Finnair CEO.

Finnair will introduce its first onboard Wi-Fi service in autumn 2015, with the arrival of the first Finnair A350 XWB aircraft. In 2016, the company will start Wi-Fi installations in Finnair's Airbus A330 long-haul aircraft as well as its European short-haul Airbus fleet. Installations are expected to be completed by 2018.

http://www.finnairgroup.com/mediaen/...l_1849090.html
Old Mar 25, 15, 8:14 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Gold, Scandic L2
The spelling sounds like it will be overpriced slow captive Internet...
Old Mar 25, 15, 8:57 am

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Originally Posted by Courmisch View Post
This.
I would not invest in a wifi before watching others stumble on that for so long as it takes to have a waterproof stable network with high enough speed.
Old Mar 25, 15, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Originally Posted by Courmisch View Post
Well, who says anything about internet connection?

Originally Posted by harri View Post
...ranging from inflight entertainment to inflight sales and ancillaries", says Pekka Vauramo, Finnair CEO.
They will (over)load that wifi network with video on demand and other things that generates revenue onboard.
Old Mar 25, 15, 11:26 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
This.
I would not invest in a wifi before watching others stumble on that for so long as it takes to have a waterproof stable network with high enough speed.
Isn't Norwegian already offering a pretty reliable wifi service on their flights? I have heard positive things about the speed etc. Should not be too difficult for AY either. And it's about time they do something about this.
Old Mar 25, 15, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Sounds like a good development. ^

I do wonder, if this is indeed a tactical response to DY's established free wi-fi policy.

Any thoughts on complimentary v. not for J pax?
Old Mar 25, 15, 11:59 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Gold, Scandic L2
Expensive WiFi to compete with free WiFi... Clever... Not.
Old Mar 25, 15, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Being able to offer Wi-Fi (paid or not) may nevertheless be commercially significant in targeting business travellers. Sure, selling Wi-Fi on its own to the average leisure traveller expecting free service is probably not the intended purpose, thus the IFE and other 'offerings' mentioned etc.

I'm curious to see how they decide to price it, and the speeds indeed as well.

Any actual 'good' inflight Wi-Fi services out there atm, for comparison?
Old Mar 25, 15, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Originally Posted by harri View Post
...the majority of Finnair's wide-body and narrow-body fleet. The total value of the investment is approximately 30 MEUR.
That is approx 0,5 MEUR per plane eek indeed.
Old Mar 25, 15, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Compare this to the 80 MEUR investment in a completely new 35 000 square meters cargo terminal, with automation and climate control.

The 10$ question - which investment will hit break even first?
Old Mar 26, 15, 6:01 am

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, Marriott

Internet in the air is fairly commonplace in some parts of the world. In the US almost every domestic flight has it (unlimited, no videos), for a nominal fee or membership. AA has it on TATL to LHR for nominal fee - also unlimited, no video.

This investment just brings AY to par with other airlines. However, throttled or per mb Internet would be a waste of AYs investment.
Old Mar 26, 15, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
It is interesting that most of the One World alliance members do not have Wi-Fi implemented on its long-haul fleet. As SAS and Norwegian both have Wi-Fi on board, Finnair is actually behind. http://www.experiencetheskies.com/fi...ng-haul-fleet/
Old Mar 27, 15, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would have preferred if they had invested this money in having the entire long-haul fleet with horizontal lie-flat beds in J.

I think that would be much more commercially significant in targeting business travellers, especially to/from Asia where flights are at night: there Wi-Fi (even for those who don't mind being tethered to work) is not as important as arriving at the destination refreshed and ready for a busy day.
Old Mar 27, 15, 5:49 am

Programs: SPG/Accor/NCH-P IHG-S HH-D CC-G, BA/A3-G AY-P, Octopus
Originally Posted by hillrider View Post
I would have preferred if they had invested this money in having the entire long-haul fleet with horizontal lie-flat beds in J.
As there are only 3 aircrafts that don't have horizontal 180, which will in turn be phased out once the A350s are in operation, this doesn't make sense (anymore).
Old Mar 28, 15, 9:09 am

Programs: Finnair Silver, Vistara Gold
Originally Posted by LoungeEnthusiast View Post
Isn't Norwegian already offering a pretty reliable wifi service on their flights? I have heard positive things about the speed etc. Should not be too difficult for AY either. And it's about time they do something about this.
yes norweigan is great wifi

Search this Thread
Search Engine: