Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair invests in Wi-Fi connectivity across its fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair invests in Wi-Fi connectivity across its fleet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ff_flyer
This is straightforward and somewhat expected pattern when implementing a new top tier.
Not sure I agree.

In a zero-sum game, yes. If there is a fixed quantity of FF'ers and they are on a fixed scale of value, then I agree it is needed to push down the other tiers when a new top tier is introduced.

Compared to a car, with a fixed top speed. You can only add a fifth gear if you adjust the other four downwards.

The Lumo level was initially seen as something on top, something to adress the top-100 customers. Such a tier (exclusive club) should not force any adjustment of the other tiers. It should truly be on top and it should consist of added benefits.

But perhaps the lumo group is increasing rapidly and not providing AY with what they wanted. Or the platinums are not a valuable enough group. Who knows.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Well, I have to admit that AY is the only airline I know who offers (used to offer) free, unlimited wifi to Plats/OWEs.

Still, this really sucks. It's not the cost of €20, which I find reasonable as such. It's the fact that free wifi has been one of the most important and valuable perks for me, available both on my phone and laptop (in practice), and especially when travelling in J, this is the only thing that differentiates Gold from Platinum.

Any chance we could try to change this back to normal? My next longhaul is next week. If this is in effect, I'll be sure to give AY feedback after the flight.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:57 pm
odo

Originally Posted by HJP

Onboard AY85 right now, maybe enjoying complimentary platinum wi-fi for the last time?

source: https://www.finnair.com/gb/gb/finnai...tiers/platinum

Has anyone yet actually hit the 60min limit on long-haul flight as platinum?

This could also be copy&paste error while adding the information about short-haul wi-fi.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:18 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Unlikely a copy-paste-error as there is distinction made between LH and SH. Someone very purposefully added the longhaul clause. Sure, that someone could have missed a special platinum rule, but since there is not distinction between gold and platinum perk on shorthaul, it seems a bit far fetched to have that on longhaul?

Anyway, would be interesting to hear from a platinum who actually got cut off.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
If Finnair is starting to devalue Platinum in order to elevate Lumo... this is a very cheap shot. If the problem is too many Platinums, why not just raise the bar a bit instead? Make Platinum threshold 200k instead of 150k.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AY Lumo, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by BlueNordicSky
If Finnair is starting to devalue Platinum in order to elevate Lumo... this is a very cheap shot. If the problem is too many Platinums, why not just raise the bar a bit instead? Make Platinum threshold 200k instead of 150k.
It seems like Finnair is modeling AA and unfortunately that means that Lumo will end up more like EXP and not CK. Not impressed.
remymartin likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Currently onboard AMS-HEL flight in J. Purser said that wifi is limited to 30min but of course you get it longer complementary if needed. So at least they still seem to have some flexibility.
ffay005, SPBanker and loimu like this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by napapiiri
It seems like Finnair is modeling AA and unfortunately that means that Lumo will end up more like EXP and not CK. Not impressed.
indeed. And platinum will be the new OWS soon enough, right?

tonight I checked in with SO into a hotel with platinum status. I was given the keycard in a key holder (paper pocket thing) that says “Silver Elite”. I’m reminded of AY...

Last edited by remymartin; Oct 11, 2018 at 2:00 pm
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
That would be the real deal changer if AY would downgrade OWS mappings, silver essentially could be kept purely as ay-internal entry status (which it in many ways already is), gold becoming ruby etc.

Although, from revenue point of view, the current levels aren't really that far from OW baselines. Besides random arlanda-flyers and naturally OUL-people, getting Platinum by segments can easily cost 7000-8000e when travelling per demand, not by cheap flights-> in USD this would be close to OWE levels at AA if I recall correctly. With a similar investment to any OW FFP, one would be fairly close to OWE status from miles/tier points. So, AY making Lumos the new OWE equivalent would be extremely hard move but naturally would just continue the trend within AY Plus.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Tapio
Currently onboard AMS-HEL flight in J. Purser said that wifi is limited to 30min but of course you get it longer complementary if needed. So at least they still seem to have some flexibility.
Maybe one the better experienced purser who have more "pelisilmä"/eye for the good service experience. Probably they would just count on people not asking and if a plat asking, easy way to please would be to hand another voucher, and no big revenue lost there.
on22cz likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:50 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by FFlash
Maybe one the better experienced purser who have more "pelisilmä"/eye for the good service experience. Probably they would just count on people not asking and if a plat asking, easy way to please would be to hand another voucher, and no big revenue lost there.
Exactly my thoughts.
This is how ghost-policies are created.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by Tapio
Really don't like this from an overall service experience point of view. Yes, when you are flying with a purser, who is all about service, this will "solve" your problem, but in general, it leads to a completely inconsistent service. (which of course would be business as usual for AY)
esledo, lkrt and napapiiri like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:34 am
R2

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Really don't like this from an overall service experience point of view.
This is the thing, most of us think it's not good because it creates confusion about what the policy is, however when you're there yourself getting the favor it's all great, isn't it.

I was on HEL-SGN in Y last year and got the complementary Plat G&T before the meal...after dinner it was still early and I could not sleep yet so asked for another one and I was expecting to pay for it...well, it was served with a smile and 'complements of the house'...and so came the next refill and the next...I was quite happy for them to extend the (one) free drink policy to as many as you like no matter how much confusion was being created for me
SPBanker, on22cz and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by R2
This is the thing, most of us think it's not good because it creates confusion about what the policy is, however when you're there yourself getting the favor it's all great, isn't it.

I was on HEL-SGN in Y last year and got the complementary Plat G&T before the meal...after dinner it was still early and I could not sleep yet so asked for another one and I was expecting to pay for it...well, it was served with a smile and 'complements of the house'...and so came the next refill and the next...I was quite happy for them to extend the (one) free drink policy to as many as you like no matter how much confusion was being created for me
Fully agree! It is great "on the spot" to receive a favourable treatment, but the problem is that you are not able to count on it. If I'm getting a service that is important for me (let it be the internet connection, a drink, etc.) only "by the grace" of the cabin crew serving on that day, how do I know that I can count on it next time as well? If Finnair after a while falls below a cretain guaranteed service level, maybe it is then time for me to search for other providers. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to boycott AY for not giving me free internet for the whole flight, as I'll survive without that just fine, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, as they are taking away something that until now I have enjoyed using.
Purjelentaja likes this.

Last edited by Steve_Hun; Oct 12, 2018 at 4:02 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:41 am
Moderator, Finnair

Another problem is that it gives incentive to DYKWIA approach. AY tells us to never ever accept the published rules, and instead push for whatever service we feel we are entitled to.

Being of Nordic mindset I hate this approach, but if this is the game AY is playing, then fine.
Purjelentaja and Steve_Hun like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.