Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair invests in Wi-Fi connectivity across its fleet

Finnair invests in Wi-Fi connectivity across its fleet

Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:27 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ylefin
Norwegian Wi-Fi has always worked well on my shorthaul flights. ...
Yes, I've heard from others too they are satisfied with DY wifi. I've only tried once and it was so slow it was useless. Naturally, YMMV.

... and so this morning I was on a DY shorthaul. Connecting to WI-Fi was easy and quick and things like facebook worked well. However, email (exchange) was terrible. It took over two minutes from a mail arrived until the contents was loaded. And an attachement, a small pdf of size 208 kB , took well over ten minutes to download.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:53 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Wi-fi on all longhaul from may 2017

Fresh press release says Wi-fi will be available on all longhaul from may 2017
http://news.cision.com/finnair/r/wir...-2017,c2043405

Only talking about long haul. Not a word about shorthaul. I guess they silently dropped it?
Old Jul 9, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by intuition
Fresh press release says Wi-fi will be available on all longhaul from may 2017
http://news.cision.com/finnair/r/wir...-2017,c2043405

Only talking about long haul. Not a word about shorthaul. I guess they silently dropped it?
I don't think so... (at least not based on this press release). It already starts with:

Last year Finnair announced it would launch a wireless network connection for the majority of its wide and narrow-body aircraft.

If they'd dropped the narrow body upgrade plans, they could have phrased this sentence differently, so they wouldn't have to mention them at all.

And then in my opinion it essentially just states that AY is prioritising the long haul fleet for the Wi-Fi upgrade. In my read this does not mean that they wont do the same for the short haul Airbus fleet, but that they'll continue with those once the "big ones" are done.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 12:52 am
Moderator, Finnair

Oops, I read it too quickly....
I was looking for a sentence like "the narrow body fleet is on schedule and will be..." And didn't see that mention. So you are right.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: AY Plat
Originally Posted by ylefin
Take Norwegian and you dont have to worry about when getting Wi-Fi
You are absolutely right, there is NO WIFI AT ALL on any Norwegian long haul. And on my very few (forced) Norwegian short haul flights I have managed to do a couple of searches but not been able to follow the links. Wasted time. I'd rather get the newspaper and/or a greeting.

Last edited by Benzin; Jul 9, 2016 at 4:00 pm
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: AY LUMO
New pricing for wi-fi:

You can purchase Wi-Fi access for one hour for €7.95, three hours for €11.95 or for the whole flight for €19.95. Business Class passengers and Finnair Plus Gold and Platinum members can use the service free of charge.
https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/nordic-sky
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: AY+Plat
It does not mention about OWS/OWE, maybe they have to pay
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
I wonder how well that pricing turns out. If any fanny-packer will pay for it, or is it only some businetic people who HAS TO WORK during the flight, or...

At least I like their pricing attitude, no low-ball pricing here (khm, the only "consistent AY policy" )
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:58 am

Really similar pricing as to what AA is charging you for internet access, so one could say it is almost competitive
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Yep, there is a market price always just like reaping your best friends at a military camp for the last portions of snus
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by FFlash
Yep, there is a market price always just like reaping your best friends at a military camp for the last portions of snus
Now that is a rather disturbing analogy
Old Mar 5, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I don't find the pricing unreasonable.

Compare this with IB, who charge $20 for a flight, with an extremely low data cap. They don't even offer an unlimited option, and they charge everyone. Even in J.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AY+Plat
Currently on the flight to DEL, price for whole flight is 15€, new pricing not applied here. Free for OWS/OWE
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Already 3 new 321's have arrived this year and they don't have WiFi. I would assume installing WiFi would be easier when the plane is being constructed.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: QF
So what happens if you booked when wi-fi was advertised free in business class? I'm no lawyer, but here airlines face penalties if they try to enforce any charges not notified at the time of booking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.