Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair invests in Wi-Fi connectivity across its fleet

Finnair invests in Wi-Fi connectivity across its fleet

Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Interesting addition to this:
There was a screaming child couple of rows ahead who started soon screaming ”mobile phone / kännykkäääää”, obviously asking for streaming videos either after cutoff time or not having wifi at all. And the parents could not stop that. After, he started screaming for iPad ”pädiiiiiiii”. Oh I am a kid-lover so it did not bother me bit I just smiled. However, this can turn other pax into quite an annoying experience as soon as this wifi concept spreads and people get half-used to it and then kids start screaming
florens likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
WiFi in the is becoming more common now, but when it was first being rolled out, for the most part it wasn't actually kids who were the most annoying.

"HEEEY Guess what! You'll never guess where I am!"
"Look! LOOK! Isn't this just so cool?"
"Yeah we're going on vacation, this is going to be so awesome"
"Blah blah blah blah blah blah"

Repeat throughout the whole flight.
FFlash likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BlueNordicSky
WiFi in the is becoming more common now, but when it was first being rolled out, for the most part it wasn't actually kids who were the most annoying.

"HEEEY Guess what! You'll never guess where I am!"
"Look! LOOK! Isn't this just so cool?"
"Yeah we're going on vacation, this is going to be so awesome"
"Blah blah blah blah blah blah"

Repeat throughout the whole flight.
I don't mind a Facebook post. What I mind is when people start using insane amounts of data on Instagram and Snapchat.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I don’t think that’s what was meant. More live videos, FaceTime, WhatsApp etc loud fora
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
The 30 minutes seems like a hard limit now. It costs 4500 points to get streaming for the flight, pretty steep. But I had do it now for science to confirm it works, and also to stream music to drown out the noise of two toddlers that were for some reason in J.
remymartin likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: AY LUMO
I had nothing to do while flying in no connect -area so I snapped a fresh (?) picture of no-coverage areas of narrowbody Internet service

ffay005 and EuroFlash like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
So basically it doesn't work above the sea, Baltic Sea excluded, and not above Russia.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:33 pm

But I arrived with A330 from LHR and there was no blank area above North Sea.

Same thing when heading to DXB with A350, there is no blank areas until Iran and narrowbody coverage map is all red on DXB route.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
They must have different service providers, or something. Log in is also different and takes a lot longer on wide bodies, not to mention speed...
Clydez likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:21 am
R2

Yes, the service provides are different on narrowbody vs widebody fleet. I was on a flight last summer when the guy next to me was from the company who provided the narrowbody wifi, can't remember the company's name now.

Edit: found my post from last summer added below:

Originally Posted by R2
I was on -LZS this morning, the wifi was working really well and fast. There was a guy sitting next to me who asked for feedback on the wifi, turned out he's working for the company supplying the wifi for AY narrowbody fleet. It is Viasat as opposed to Panasonic who supplied it for the widebody fleet.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:29 am

WiFi now available on all AY operated aircrafts:

Our whole narrow-body Airbus fleet is now equipped with internet connection. It means you can enjoy the best in market in-flight connectivity onboard our European flights.

The technology, Ka-band connection provided by ViaSat, allows connection speeds of 12 Mbit/s and even higher, which means that you are able to use for example streaming services during the flight.

You can choose from two options to use internet onboard our European flights flown with Airbus narrow-body aircraft: a browsing package for using e-mail and browsing internet or a streaming package with VPN also for using Spotify and watching TV/movies from different streaming services. The price varies depending on the package and connected flight time.
https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/inform...s/flights/news
remymartin likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Not so clear for Embraer or ATR
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by FFlash
Not so clear for Embraer or ATR
Norra operated, not AY,
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Norra operated, not AY,
Yet they paint Finnair on their ATRs
EuroFlash likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
WiFi now available on all AY operated aircrafts:

https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/inform...s/flights/news
I’m glad to report that the WiFi works well in the European flights. On various occasions, I have been able stream video from YouTube and the streaming services in high quality. Eg on Sunday, managed to watch a Formula One GP with minimal disruptions. Great service!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.