Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AhogZ
This Wikipost is community-maintained and For Information Only. Note that not all information may be up to date and should be used at your own risk.

Safe - Immediate turnaround is easy, i.e. according to experience it is possible to reach departure gate quickly and without extra security check when doing same plane turnaround.
Intermediate - Immediate turnaround is doable, but requires e.g. extra security check.
Risky - Immediate turnaround not recommended. (See notes.)

TO KEEP THE WIKI AS COHERENT AS POSSIBLE, PLEASE USE "SAFE", "INTERMEDIATE" OR "RISKY" APPROPRIATELY! (I.e. no "Safe" for stations that require any kind of security or transfer check, not to mention going landside, etc.)

Immediate turnaround information for European AY destinations:

ACE: ?
AGP: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.) Details here from August 2022
ALC: Intermediate, Arrivals pour from jetbridge to "funnel pathway" which takes people to baggage claim, but one can look for "Transfer" signage and take escalator up to the gate area. No checkpoints.
AMS: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
ARN: Safe / Intermediate (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate, except gate 62 arrival pours to baggage claim. ATR flights may be riskier if one ends up with a bus gate.)
ATH: Intermediate at best
AYT: ?
BCN: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
BER: ?
BGO: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BLL: ?
BMA: Safe (Transfer door is before going to the terminal exit and boarding will not start before the incoming plane is empty.)
BRU: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BUD: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CDG: ?
CFU: ?
CHQ: Risky (To landside first and security needed. Long lines possibile.)
CPH: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CTA: ?
DBV: ?
DUB: ?
DUS: ?
EDI: ? (Security check required for sure.)
FCO: Intermediate / Risky. Bus transportation can cause long walks.
FNC: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight. Mobile BP not available, obtain a BP from HEL.)
FRA: Safe (Even with the bus from stand you can make it.)
FUE: ?
GDN: Risky (Providing it is ATR by Norra, apron position, walking / bussing to the arrivals, queue security (can be very long), sprint upstairs to the gate.)
GOT: Safe / Intermediate(At least on tube arrival, after exit from the tube to the terminal area, turn around and you are at the departure gate. No info on possible bus gates though.)
GVA: ?
GZP: ?
HAJ: Safe (Arrival at departure gate)
HAM: ?
HER: ?
IBZ: ?
INN: Intermediate / Risky (To landside first and then security. No airside transit.)
IVL: Safe, arrivals pour into the gate area.
JOE: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
JSI: ?
JTR: ?
JYV: ?
KAJ: ?
KAO: ?
KEF: ?
KEM: ?
KGS: ?
KOK: ?
KRK: Intermediate (AY rarely has a jetty position so bus, arrivals then go upstairs to departures for security, there is a fast track for OW elites - not well signposted - separate B/Pass scanner to the left)
KTT: ?
KUO: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
LHR: Intermediate (Need to go via Flight Connections to reclear security, which may take time depending on the time of the day.)
LIS: ?
LIN: Safe, arrivals pour into departures.
LJU: ?
LPA: ?
LYS: ?
MAD: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
MAH: ?
MAN: Intermediate/Risky, requires reclearing security.
MHQ: ?
MSQ: ?
MUC: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
MXP: Intermediate / Risky (Arrivals come into a different floor, transfer requires walking through a transfer point and distances are quite long.)
NAP: ?
NCE: ?
OSL: Safe / Intermediate (D gates pours directly to departures. E gates also pours to departure gate, follow transit arrow, automatic gate door will open during "normal" hours. IF door doesn't open go upstairs try the transfer security. Very rare reports of stand arrival with bus to exit, but should still be doable, security is usually fast and short distances.)
OUL: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
PFO: ?
PMI: ?
PRG: Safe (From arrivals walk up to departures to departure gate.)
PVK: ?
RHO: Risky (Arrivals pour to baggage claim, security check usually has long lines before you get to the departure hall.)
RIX: Risky. After deplaning, you walk to the terminal, but boarding is done with buses. My flight was delayed, and they started boarding before the plane was even there.
RMI: ?
RVN: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
SPU: ?
SZG: ?
TAY: ?
TFS: ?
TLL: Risky (May have a remote stand arrival, when departing flight has been boarded into a bus with boarding gate already closed.)
TLV: ?
TOS: ?
UME: ?
VAA: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
VBY: ?
VCE: ?
VIE: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
VNO: Risky. (Departing pax board bus when arriving pax still deplaning. Connection corridor available but not sure how straightforward it is).
VRN: ?
WAW: Safe (Arrivals pour to departure gate.)
ZRH: Safe (When exiting the bridge, you are under the gates and there are inclined speedwalks that bring back to the gates upstairs.)

Immediate turnaround information for selected longhaul AY destinations:

DEL: Intermediate (There's plenty of time for the obligatory visit to the transit desk and security. However, you'll need a self-printed visa confirmation to show the gate agent at HEL.)
DOH: ?
DXB: Intermediate (Follow "connections" to security downstairs and after that go to transfer desk if needed.)
JFK: Intermediate (Generous time with the new schedule, but you'll need to clear US immigration so ESTA or visa is needed.)
NRT: Intermediate (OLCI and mobile BP works, no need to go landside. There's transfer security, though.)
Print Wikipost

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Any possibility to fly outbound HBO? That's what I often do to the US.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by intuition
I've been told similar. "It is illegal to allow passenger and bag not fly the same legs". (Obviously meant on passenger request, IRROP is something else)
If I'm correct, it is illegal in terms of taking earlier / later flight than what your bag would be sent on (or vice-versa) - Lockerbie.
In this discussed case, passenger will board the same plane as the bag is checked in to, hence there should be no issue (other than Janica's lack of knowledge?). What if I have a long enough time at HEL to arrive from ARN, go to suitcase store, then to Alepa, fill the large suitcase I have just bought with Fazer chocolates and blueberry juice, and request it to be checked in for my onward flight to LAX? As long as I have baggage allowance included in my ticket, I'm good to do this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
I did this in May this year. No issues at all - it was also confirmed by CS that you can leave your bags even in the evening before. Had about the same situation than you except i took a SK flight to ARN - just asked the Plat check-in to check it for AY5 only. He didn't actually see my ARN leg at all in his screen at first as he only handed me BP for HEL-JFK - had to ask a printout of ARN-HEL leg as well which required some typing

My back-up plan would have been to bring bags back to car park and then get them again when arriving back from ARN (there was a ~2,5 hour connection at HEL).
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by intuition
I've been told similar. "It is illegal to allow passenger and bag not fly the same legs". (Obviously meant on passenger request, IRROP is something else)
Makes no sense - the pax and baggage are on the same legs - just not all legs have a baggage. The rule is about not having the bags travel separately.
LoungeEnthusiast and esledo like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Furry
My back-up plan would have been to bring bags back to car park and then get them again when arriving back from ARN (there was a ~2,5 hour connection at HEL).
Actually a good point, I guess nothing actually prevents customers taking in luggage on second leg of the trip -> are there actually some storage space at HEL to store the bags also to avoid unnecessary work at ARN even if direct check to LAX is not possible.

I think I'm leaning towards accepting the risk but not making moves for same plane turnaround just to avoid unnecessary complications, hence keeping the original itinerary.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:10 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by on22cz
If I'm correct, it is illegal in terms of taking earlier / later flight than what your bag would be sent on (or vice-versa) - Lockerbie.
In this discussed case, passenger will board the same plane as the bag is checked in to, hence there should be no issue (other than Janica's lack of knowledge?).
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Makes no sense - the pax and baggage are on the same legs - just not all legs have a baggage. The rule is about not having the bags travel separately.
Indeed, I would jot this explanation down to someone inventing explanation.

Just a note, that this wasn't CS talking. This was a very helpful and service-minded check-in agent in CPH. He battled the system to check my bag only on CPH-HEL-HKG when I was travelling CPH-HEL-PRG-HEL-HKG. Ie the bag would never be onboard a plane I wasn't on. He failed and had a lengthy conversation with his "support" before he told the explanation.

(And of course the bag didn't make the connection in PRG and it travelled on 2 flights I wasn't onboard in the end!)

So what I think is that they cannot do it, unless you start in HEL. If starting in HEL, they can treat it as an early bagdrop for the last flight, and it is just stored in the same fashion as the day-before drops.
If not starting in HEL, the same operation would need an in-stream interception of bag, and redirecting it to storage. At airports like HKG I've experienced them intercepting my bag, and re-labeling/re-checking it but I assume this functionality does not exists at HEL.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: AY LUMO
How is checked bag involved in Mileage running?

Checked bag is mass tourism.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by OH-LGG

Yes this thread went off-topic

Would be nice to hear at HEL check-in desk a savvy agent who is reading FT:
-so you are going to the U.S.
-yes
-are you gonna check in that luggage?
-yes
-so you are going for mass tourism and not mileage running?
-eeerrrrr...yes. no. yes I am. No, I think I am not. Yes it is tourism.
-I can see that. I can short-check your bags if you wish. Have a nice flight.
ffay005, OH-LGG, cistavoda and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
We need our own, FT-trained FT Members Only check-in and CS ^
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
+1 for all this bag thing.

Did it in May HEL-ARN-HEL on separate tickets and ARN-HEL-JFK-HEL-ARN. Checked bags in for AY5 and the Platsku desk lady even said "Ei minua kiinnosta mikään Tukholma. AY5 New York se riittää."

At check-in on the way back I convinced them to short check our bags to HEL as mrs. & jr. stayed home and after a nap I went on to have dinner/snacks at HEL Schengen & ARN Aurora
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards

Hmm, I didn't know you can check the ultimate mass tourism accessory (fanny-packs)
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
About this crazy pricing, I was searching exVIE to JFK and saw one OTA counted Air Fare as -1€
I wonder if you would get negative balance for crediting those flights to a revenue based FF program
Trav1970 and on22cz like this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Nice idea, but for the airline the fare is not negative. It's just OTAs' way to attract customers and then earn their money on payment and service fees. You only win if you know the system.
Check some AY tickets paid through OTA - you will always see the real AY price.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Cheap positioning flights

Wanted to post this here. I just booked the family's visit to home over Christmas and got a great deal through Tripair, which was way cheaper than the other OTAs. Found on Skyscanner and Momondo.

FFlash likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: AY LUMO
I'm right now in CPH and I paid 59€.

And op-upped

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.