Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AhogZ
This Wikipost is community-maintained and For Information Only. Note that not all information may be up to date and should be used at your own risk.

Safe - Immediate turnaround is easy, i.e. according to experience it is possible to reach departure gate quickly and without extra security check when doing same plane turnaround.
Intermediate - Immediate turnaround is doable, but requires e.g. extra security check.
Risky - Immediate turnaround not recommended. (See notes.)

TO KEEP THE WIKI AS COHERENT AS POSSIBLE, PLEASE USE "SAFE", "INTERMEDIATE" OR "RISKY" APPROPRIATELY! (I.e. no "Safe" for stations that require any kind of security or transfer check, not to mention going landside, etc.)

Immediate turnaround information for European AY destinations:

ACE: ?
AGP: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.) Details here from August 2022
ALC: Intermediate, Arrivals pour from jetbridge to "funnel pathway" which takes people to baggage claim, but one can look for "Transfer" signage and take escalator up to the gate area. No checkpoints.
AMS: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
ARN: Safe / Intermediate (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate, except gate 62 arrival pours to baggage claim. ATR flights may be riskier if one ends up with a bus gate.)
ATH: Intermediate at best
AYT: ?
BCN: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
BER: ?
BGO: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BLL: ?
BMA: Safe (Transfer door is before going to the terminal exit and boarding will not start before the incoming plane is empty.)
BRU: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BUD: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CDG: ?
CFU: ?
CHQ: Risky (To landside first and security needed. Long lines possibile.)
CPH: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CTA: ?
DBV: ?
DUB: ?
DUS: ?
EDI: ? (Security check required for sure.)
FCO: Intermediate / Risky. Bus transportation can cause long walks.
FNC: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight. Mobile BP not available, obtain a BP from HEL.)
FRA: Safe (Even with the bus from stand you can make it.)
FUE: ?
GDN: Risky (Providing it is ATR by Norra, apron position, walking / bussing to the arrivals, queue security (can be very long), sprint upstairs to the gate.)
GOT: Safe / Intermediate(At least on tube arrival, after exit from the tube to the terminal area, turn around and you are at the departure gate. No info on possible bus gates though.)
GVA: ?
GZP: ?
HAJ: Safe (Arrival at departure gate)
HAM: ?
HER: ?
IBZ: ?
INN: Intermediate / Risky (To landside first and then security. No airside transit.)
IVL: Safe, arrivals pour into the gate area.
JOE: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
JSI: ?
JTR: ?
JYV: ?
KAJ: ?
KAO: ?
KEF: ?
KEM: ?
KGS: ?
KOK: ?
KRK: Intermediate (AY rarely has a jetty position so bus, arrivals then go upstairs to departures for security, there is a fast track for OW elites - not well signposted - separate B/Pass scanner to the left)
KTT: ?
KUO: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
LHR: Intermediate (Need to go via Flight Connections to reclear security, which may take time depending on the time of the day.)
LIS: ?
LIN: Safe, arrivals pour into departures.
LJU: ?
LPA: ?
LYS: ?
MAD: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
MAH: ?
MAN: Intermediate/Risky, requires reclearing security.
MHQ: ?
MSQ: ?
MUC: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
MXP: Intermediate / Risky (Arrivals come into a different floor, transfer requires walking through a transfer point and distances are quite long.)
NAP: ?
NCE: ?
OSL: Safe / Intermediate (D gates pours directly to departures. E gates also pours to departure gate, follow transit arrow, automatic gate door will open during "normal" hours. IF door doesn't open go upstairs try the transfer security. Very rare reports of stand arrival with bus to exit, but should still be doable, security is usually fast and short distances.)
OUL: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
PFO: ?
PMI: ?
PRG: Safe (From arrivals walk up to departures to departure gate.)
PVK: ?
RHO: Risky (Arrivals pour to baggage claim, security check usually has long lines before you get to the departure hall.)
RIX: Risky. After deplaning, you walk to the terminal, but boarding is done with buses. My flight was delayed, and they started boarding before the plane was even there.
RMI: ?
RVN: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
SPU: ?
SZG: ?
TAY: ?
TFS: ?
TLL: Risky (May have a remote stand arrival, when departing flight has been boarded into a bus with boarding gate already closed.)
TLV: ?
TOS: ?
UME: ?
VAA: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
VBY: ?
VCE: ?
VIE: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
VNO: Risky. (Departing pax board bus when arriving pax still deplaning. Connection corridor available but not sure how straightforward it is).
VRN: ?
WAW: Safe (Arrivals pour to departure gate.)
ZRH: Safe (When exiting the bridge, you are under the gates and there are inclined speedwalks that bring back to the gates upstairs.)

Immediate turnaround information for selected longhaul AY destinations:

DEL: Intermediate (There's plenty of time for the obligatory visit to the transit desk and security. However, you'll need a self-printed visa confirmation to show the gate agent at HEL.)
DOH: ?
DXB: Intermediate (Follow "connections" to security downstairs and after that go to transfer desk if needed.)
JFK: Intermediate (Generous time with the new schedule, but you'll need to clear US immigration so ESTA or visa is needed.)
NRT: Intermediate (OLCI and mobile BP works, no need to go landside. There's transfer security, though.)
Print Wikipost

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
About this crazy pricing, I was searching exVIE to JFK and saw one OTA counted Air Fare as -1€ so they can show total price of 199€ and this means OTA gets nothing while YR/airport fees are total 199€.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by HJP
As a Plat, AY Codes on VIE-HEL-JFK gives you 77% of points what AA codes used to give you in the past...
Well, that's not a fair comparison, since naturally with those assumptions we the value peaks and distance based optimization fails ... but for that money I've seen possible routings with AA code giving way more than 20 k. I'm not saying that the new offers are bad but they are also not the best we have ever had.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by jimaras08
I'm not saying that the new offers are bad but they are also not the best we have ever had.
We can mourn about that it is nowadays not worth to pay people to fly for you to earn miles. Just saying that the 100% on AA were not the best we ever had.
jimaras08 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
About this crazy pricing, I was searching exVIE to JFK and saw one OTA counted Air Fare as -1€ so they can show total price of 199€ and this means OTA gets nothing while YR/airport fees are total 199€.
I paid €197, of which €3 was a payment fee. But of course, their main source of money is from the extras people buy after being attracted by the low price and entering that OTAs website.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Today, the deal has spread up to BRU and CDG. It's possible to find OTA price BRU - ORD for €179. Sadly, positioning HEL - BRU on AY prices at €229.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
This deal is really itching me now. Trying to find the easiest&cheapest positioning. ARN seems to run at 300-ish.
If I did not have family, I would book this 1 weekend per month and secure Plat for next period that way.
Decision angst and scheduling issue with a carrot in front! Drives me crazy
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
You'd need just one positioning, all the rest would be just using the first leg of next ticket.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
What are the dates of travel for this US campaign?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: Finnair Plus
Hello! This offer is almost too good to miss. Couple questions I had in mind that I hope you could help me with:
1. How long do these offers usually last?
2. I noticed that CDG is a new starting point but I was only able to find flights to SFO starting from around 250€ in April/May. Has anyone found flights for the around 200€ mark that we can get to for example ORD. If yes, how did you do it and for which dates?

Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
You'd need just one positioning, all the rest would be just using the first leg of next ticket.
negative. Stopovers not allowed.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
What are the dates of travel for this US campaign?
OLN8T2B4 from BRU:

TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/BEFORE 15DEC18.

PERMITTED 31AUG18 THROUGH 27JUN19 FOR EACH
TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR. SEASON IS BASED ON TRIP DATE.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG

TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/BEFORE 15DEC18.
+ Limitations in fare buckets. I doubt they have too many cheap seats on every flight.(Haven't checked). There is a risk of this fare will be sold out on/before 15DEC18. + Revenue can change the seats available for this fare anytime they want.
But yes, in theory 15DEC. In practice, get your tickets in time while there are any left.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by seldomrfly
+ limitations in fare buckets. I doubt they have too many cheap seats on every flight.(haven't checked). There is a risk of this fare will be sold out on/before 15dec18. + revenue can change the seats available for this fare anytime they want.
But yes, in theory 15dec. In practice, get your tickets in time while there are any left.
THE CARRIER SHALL LIMIT THE NUMBER OF PASSENGERS
CARRIED ON ANY ONE FLIGHT AT FARES GOVERNED BY
THIS RULE AND SUCH FARES WILL NOT NECESSARILY BE
AVAILABLE ON ALL FLIGHTS. THE NUMBER OF SEATS,
WHICH THE CARRIER SHALL MAKE AVAILABLE ON A GIVEN
FLIGHT, WILL BE DETERMINED BY THE CARRIERS BEST
JUDGEMENT.
RULES NOT APPLICABLE
35 PASSENGER EXPENSES EN ROUTE.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by seldomrfly
+ Limitations in fare buckets. I doubt they have too many cheap seats on every flight.(Haven't checked). There is a risk of this fare will be sold out on/before 15DEC18. + Revenue can change the seats available for this fare anytime they want.
But yes, in theory 15DEC. In practice, get your tickets in time while there are any left.
Sure. I have been browsing all day different combinations and I can already see that some dates that were there in the morning are not there anymore now.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
TXL-ORD with AY carrier but AA code 250 €
TXL-ORD with AY carrer and AY code 350 €

Any ideas how to book TXL-ORD with AY code for 250 € ?

Last edited by jimaras08; Sep 19, 2018 at 7:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.